REEF VASE: Have you ever consider keeping a reef in a vase, jar, bowl etc? Check these out!

Have you ever consider keeping a tiny reef in a vase, jar, bowl etc.?

• Yes in a vase

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • Yes in a jar

Votes: 40 11.2%
  • Yes in a bowl

Votes: 23 6.5%
  • Yes in a (tell us on the thread)

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • NO

Votes: 269 75.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MadsDK

View Badges
Reaction score
love my reef vase, however, I don't know if it qualifies as a pico as the total volume is about 35 liters.

I made a build thread which you can find here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pico-reef-vase.770808/

Since my system is a little larger I use a canister filter filled with biohome media and carbon for extra filtration and water movement. I found that pistol shrimps are ideal for tall narrow systems with rock and DSB as they will help keep detritus suspended in the water collum.

SHNICI I have problems with magnets rusting, what is your secret ?

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a little 1g... used to have cactus in this thing, then they died. Reefing is easier than plants for me! Smart outlet controlling the Kessil, air pump, and smart Inkbird controlling a little cobalt heater. Custom acrylic lid fits pretty well and don’t have much top for off issues. Have LPS, mushrooms, zoas, and an Astreopora representing the sps...

5B53C1F9-40CB-4FEC-8830-1D13A2C1ADF8.jpeg 009619DD-BC0F-4753-94A5-7686548ACF96.jpeg
Sweet so little so cool

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and DIY Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
love my reef vase, however, I don't know if it qualifies as a pico as the total volume is about 35 liters.

I made a build thread which you can find here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pico-reef-vase.770808/

Since my system is a little larger I use a canister filter filled with biohome media and carbon for extra filtration and water movement. I found that pistol shrimps are ideal for tall narrow systems with rock and DSB as they will help keep detritus suspended in the water collum.

SHNICI I have problems with magnets rusting, what is your secret ?
Like I know never mind how big is the whole system, to name it as a pico was important how big(in volume of water) is the DT. I don't think that vase is more than 1g-1.5g. But it look lovely. I'm on the way to make something similar but my one will be in a 2L ball plants tank (plastic better for me) + ehaim canister 2.5L (which I got for free and had to buy new impeller only with the shaft).
Once for few months I attach to my 400L tank small (2L - 1/2g tank) with small 100l/h pump to be for mini/micro/pico refugium and they call it pico refugium after I show it to some people

About the magnets: depending what I need it for, so If it have to stay under the water (SALT WATER) I have 2 methods:
- I'm using epoxy resin which after hardening stay a bit soft like, isn't hardening like glass ever (that will give some stability, not to slide easy in the tank and also will let it take the shapes I'm putting it. for the outside can use just bit of silicon which will prevent slippery and that way will stay on place holding the inner side.
- I'm using acrylic glue similar to Tensol 12 but more liquid like and braking small bits of acrylic or with file I'm making dust like, after I use the glue and the acrylic in a glass container with tight lid to melt the acrylic (adding drops of glue - or thinner in my case by drops and stirring it with metal needle until it get the right consistency). After I dip the magnet to preserve it and leaving to dry out on a nilon (to can't stick and dissolve the surface because of the acrylic glue).
* If I have to attach something to that inner magnet I'm using clear fishing line and gently put 2-3 coils around the magnet before I dip it in the dissolved acrylic. once it dry I can tight the fishing line to whatever I want and the magnet is saved from corosions.

Usually if you are using neodymium magnets (the white metal like polished) they are covered with nickel which is rusting in the salt aggressive water. Because of that if there is even small possibility the magnet not to be covered completely with plastic I'm diping it again to be sure it's not getting rust later on.

that way I'm making my stirrer bars/bits as well, because I have automatic stirrer and I use it always when I test water, instead of shaking the solution I just drop with the syringe the titrants the stirrer all the time constantly stir-mix the solution, is really easy that way, and can get a bit more accurate readings, because all is mixed really good.

If there is something need to be clarified just let me know ;)

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and DIY Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
These are known safe reefing magnets. Mine are about 7 yrs submerged

Can't have them here :(
I'm taking my for my DIY projects from plastic glass scrappers/flipper/cleaner etc .. for the fish tanks, which I don't need, or the price for them is is small amount for the purposes I'm using them ;)

Last edited:

How's your tank currently looking?

• Never better

Votes: 82 13.8%
  • Pretty good

Votes: 263 44.3%
  • Just OK

Votes: 133 22.4%
  • Not great

Votes: 62 10.4%
  • Prett Bad

Votes: 25 4.2%