OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update coming soon. I know I know...I'm lazy.

No longer running Triton. Switched to ESV. Fixing to dose some Trace with it, and of course a lot of coral nutrition. wink wink.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approximately 8 mo since it was set up and about 3 mo since the Triton overdose. Other than the Gigantea Anemone getting stung by the hammer that I finally moved, the tank is trucking along nicely.

*Photobucket photo removed*

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some nice yellow sponges populating.

pH now hitting 8.4 in mid to end of photo period. Alk climbing daily and tank is fixing to take off.

Deltec running like a beast. One of the best skimmers I’ve owned. Dead silent.

Dosing 300mL of Kalk on top of ESV. 2mL 150x a day.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also started Red Sea Trace Colors ABCD at a very very conservative dose.

My 75/G tank with Synergy Reef sump and total water volume is about 60-65 gallons or at least I’m calling it that to error on the safer side.

Given that volume and my Calcium demand, the tank is currently consuming 26mL of Alk and Cal daily which is about 20 ppm of Cal every 4 days and Red Sea calls to dose off Cal demand.

That dose for my tank is 0.75mL a day. For the sake of safety...I’ve cut that dose by 1/2 which is about 0.37mL daily of each part. Not to mention I’m being very cautious with part A. I don’t trust Iodine. So Instead of cutting that dose by 1/2, I’ve cut that dose by 3/4 which is 0.25mL daily. Only until I get ICP verification on top of hobby grade testing to find my demand.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet step up man and great job on building the stand ! I like your rock work and the coral color placement. Looking forward to seeing it grow and grow!

It’s coming along nicely despite the usual setbacks. Fingers crossed on the Red Sea. Fixing to send a ICP.

*Photobucket Photo removed*

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you stop the Triton dosing? Do you see better results with ESV?

I think Triton is too strong for this smaller system. Not sure if I could dilute it or not. Maybe I received a bad batch. Either way...I ran it before and had great success with it. This time, it nearly wiped out the tank and I'm more experienced now than I've ever been. Not to mention...more cautious and meticulous than I've ever been. Not sure what happened, but it was overdosing the system. dKH never jumped more than 0.9, but since it's incredibly strong...it was enough to start STN and then RTN. When I saw the dose creeping up, I immediately back it off. Apparently the damage was done. Once I realized what was happening, I flushed the system with water changes and switched over to ESV and the tank rebounded.

At first I thought it was lighting / nutrient issue. Acro's were STN'ing from the tips down. So that really threw me off. After going back and reviewing all my documentation, we figured it out. I should have known when the tank turned into a rainbow. I just thought Trition was magic juice. The colors got so intense that the corals changed into colors that they weren't.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
371458DB-E992-4A3A-8D06-684EFF298849.jpeg

A9DF94FF-6101-46FB-A7F8-77F3F29C84AC.jpeg
70379035-D362-4860-8FE1-2DC0AEDA619C.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back