Reefapalooza+buying frags+ Airplane ride

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/live-coral

that container doesn't save you from TSA. At the end of the day, "the final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint." Hope that helps

Agreed, but I didn't have that container nor the sheet of paper. I just told the fellows at the xray scanner that I had live animals that I'd like to be inspected manually, they took the box from and and then opened it and inspected it once I was through security. All I had it in was a white cardboard box, lined with Styrofoam and in little sealed baggies.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as a deal on expensive frags.:) The vendors are paying good money to be at the show they need every sale they can get to pay for the booth and spending the weekend in a hotel.:)
Just the facts.

so is it really worth it to travel there?
i mean just like the vendors - the customers coming out of town would be paying for flight, hotel, entry ticket and then for frags on top.
If there are no "DEALS" - why go through the hassle and expense as a customer?

sorry to derail the thread - but i am curious.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it will be my first time if it's not worth it, it will be my last

If you are interested for the future my favorite LFS who will be exhibiting at the Reefapalooza show is about 35-40 minutes away from Miami right off of I-95 and is open 7 days a week. They always have a fabulous collection of coral to select from. If you are interested send me a PM and I will give you their information.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be plenty of deals do not worry! Remember dealers have to pack up coral and take it back so the less to take back the better.
The last day is going to be awesome for buying ;)

The last hour or so on the last day is always the best time to buy. I have done the same thing at antique shows, they are motivated to sell! ;)

NanoJimmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is it really worth it to travel there?
i mean just like the vendors - the customers coming out of town would be paying for flight, hotel, entry ticket and then for frags on top.
If there are no "DEALS" - why go through the hassle and expense as a customer?

sorry to derail the thread - but i am curious.

Expensive frags are expensive frag. You get what you pay for. However, most vendors cut you a deal the more you buy. Other than deals though, frag swaps are great at viewing a ton of variety of corals that you wouldn't be able to normally see.

OP
OP
Juniorh2r

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for different bounce mushroom corals and dragon soul torches maybe yellow hammer

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again @Juniorh2r

Let UPS or FedX be your best friend here. Even call the Orlando stores to get a QUOTE to Ship your corals overnight to family member..

Find a styrofoam cooler at the event and newspaper to stuff the cooler tight....and ship it

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the frag is encrusted it’s not worth worrying about it breaking and just remove the plug and save space also...
The car ride worries me let alone a tedious flight

OP
OP
Juniorh2r

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stuck with the plane ride already bought the tickets but I think everything is gonna be ok I'll give TSA a call tomorrow and see what they say maybe I can let them know in advance. Let's see what happens

Comic_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can frags last in a baggie. Have a five hour drive home and was hoping to take off the next morning. Also if I buy the first day, those will be in a bag even longer. 24? 48? 72 hours?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never buy on the first day. You can get vendors to put corals in the back section of their display. But doubt you will get a deal on them as they will get asked about them every few minutes. [emoji3]

Go an enjoy the show and meeting people I have been going to MACNA for 25 years enjoy meeting old friends as well as new hobbyist.
Having kept corals for over 30 years I don’t get caught up in the fad corals. I do have bounce mushrooms but they are several years now I got them for next to nothing as nobody wanted them and I like interesting corals that others might not even look at but I love them. [emoji3]

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need any special holder or anything. No offense to the posters above. Just a styrofoam box with the bags of water with coral inside. Just like if it were being shipped to you. I’ve gone through Orlando international at least a dozen times this way and no issues. Zero.

OP
OP
Juniorh2r

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I spoke to TSA they are sending me a form to fill out which will make things smoother

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need any special holder or anything. No offense to the posters above. Just a styrofoam box with the bags of water with coral inside. Just like if it were being shipped to you. I’ve gone through Orlando international at least a dozen times this way and no issues. Zero.

Do this and be prepared to check the box as luggage. Bring an old foam box or better yet a reasonably sized cooler. Have a Yeti? Bring it, perfect coral luggage. No reason not to, the flight to MIA is 45 minutes long. Do not rely on any letter to any TSA agent. They have full discretion to be more restrictive than any standards. I deal with TSA hundreds of time a year as an airline pilot.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do this and be prepared to check the box as luggage. Bring an old foam box or better yet a reasonably sized cooler. Have a Yeti? Bring it, perfect coral luggage. No reason not to, the flight to MIA is 45 minutes long. Do not rely on any letter to any TSA agent. They have full discretion to be more restrictive than any standards. I deal with TSA hundreds of time a year as an airline pilot.
Do not check. Do not check. It will be confiscated. Do not listen to what the Airlines say on this matter as it is the TSA that makes this rule.

Dr.Danknstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also be going to reefapalooza. I am a Miami local. Im going both days and returning sunday night after the expo lets out and i stop by a few of the LFS. If you dont want to risk losing your coral to TSA i dont mind bringing it back down for you and we can meet in Miami. If interested send me a DM to my IG La_costanostra.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back