Reefapalooza NY/NJ 2021

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there! So I recently got into the saltwater hobby at the end of last summer. I live in NJ and I am very interested in going to Reefapalooza in NJ this year! I just have a few questions about vendors and hobbyists.

I tried to sell a hammer coral to my LFS just because I don't really have space for it ATM. They recommended that I sell it at Reefapalooza. As someone who will just be attending the convention, would I be able to sell coral there?

Also, what are the vendors' prices like? Do they sell things at "usual prices" (what websites typically charge) or do they sell things at discounted prices to compete with other vendors? Is it even worth it to buy livestock at the convention? I live only 20 minutes away from the convention site so its not like I need to worry about transportation.

Really just looking for honest opinions and other peoples' experience at Reefapalooza!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello there! So I recently got into the saltwater hobby at the end of last summer. I live in NJ and I am very interested in going to Reefapalooza in NJ this year! I just have a few questions about vendors and hobbyists.

I tried to sell a hammer coral to my LFS just because I don't really have space for it ATM. They recommended that I sell it at Reefapalooza. As someone who will just be attending the convention, would I be able to sell coral there?

Also, what are the vendors' prices like? Do they sell things at "usual prices" (what websites typically charge) or do they sell things at discounted prices to compete with other vendors? Is it even worth it to buy livestock at the convention? I live only 20 minutes away from the convention site so its not like I need to worry about transportation.

Really just looking for honest opinions and other peoples' experience at Reefapalooza!
RAP is not a place to sell stuff as there are many vendors trying to sell similar and would be offended.
Try local clubs and Craigslist

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As far as selling your coral there, I wouldn't recommend it. Vendors and the hosts of the show wouldn't really be super happy with that...

For coral pricing different vendors have different objectives. For example, some go to clear out inventory and they'll usually have super cheap pricing but others go to showcase their corals and new releases so those wont be inexpensive at all. Most vendors do a show discount which is cheaper than the online price BUT if its a new release or something absolutely awesome looking I wouldn't expect any real discount on it unless you're purchasing packs. That being said, you can get some really nice corals at a great price at shows you just have to look for it

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best place to sell is right here on reef2reef selling forum. Normal hammers usually go for 20-40 per head. For deals there are some to be found on regular corals like others said but any high end ones will really on come down at the tail end of reefapalooza on the last day when you can negotiate as they dont want the risk of transporting and bagging up all of their corals for the trip.
Tridacna clams are also usually more reasonable at these conventions for some reason though, like 40-60 rather than 100+ price I have seen in recent years for smaller clams

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think i will head to reefapalooza this year because i already have too much stuff in my tank, so unless i sell some stuff it is off the calendar for me. The raffles are always great too, always a fun little event at the end of the day, won my nyos skimmer from reefapalooza when i went a few years ago

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back