Reefbot Feature Requests

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rygh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have had mine for about a week. So far pretty good.

Request for programmable Alert levels:
I want email alerts on almost everything.
I only want phone alerts if test result is out of acceptable range, or if test fails.
Others may differ, so it would be nice to be programmable.

Improve Set-up Documentation:
You only mention putting magnetic stirrers in reagent vials, not in RO/mixing on right.
I did not add a stirrer at first, and tests were way off.

Reagent vial full line:
You have status in mL, and I can reset it.
But at what point is vial "full"

Request for reagent manual setting:
If I run out, I may only be able to fill it half way.
I should be able to manually set the value.

Allow unlimited RO:
Like waste, add a box for "unlimited"
I did not connect to RO unit directly, so not pressurized. But it is unlimited.
Although I can understand why you would not want users to usually do that.

In future, make chassis more spill resistant:
I spilled, but fortunately managed to keep the water from going in.
That big slot around the top seems to invite water to get in.
If there is a next rev, it would be good for openings to face downward and such,
to at least keep simple spills out.

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Im planning on buying a reefbot for xmas. One thing thet would be helpful to people shopping would be a thread or spot on your website listing the different reagents usable, how many viels each takes and perhaps revues. I know this info is out there but it seems to be scatterd about.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
I have both a reefbot and a trident. The reefbot is great. The biggest issue for me though is the large amount of tank water it uses. I’m currently on vacation and based on 1 test a day, I will have used 1 gallon of tank water by the time i get back. This is a much bigger deal when you have a small tank like my reefer 170 and the salinity is affected.

my biggest request would be a way to change/configure the number of tank water flushes it does even if it affects accuracy, to reduce water consumption when needed.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
I have both a reefbot and a trident. The reefbot is great. The biggest issue for me though is the large amount of tank water it uses. I’m currently on vacation and based on 1 test a day, I will have used 1 gallon of tank water by the time i get back. This is a much bigger deal when you have a small tank like my reefer 170 and the salinity is affected.

my biggest request would be a way to change/configure the number of tank water flushes it does even if it affects accuracy, to reduce water consumption when needed.
Thanks for posting this and we love to always hear about feature requests.
I’ll forward this to our chemist. Please email [email protected] to follow up on this.

Happy Holidays.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello, I think this would be a simple patch but would you guys be able to adda feature so that each reefbot can test multiple tanks...SO different profiles basically. I have two tanks and would love the opportunity to bring a cup of water from my tank one day and run a couple tests that day and not have it be inputed into my main tanks data log.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,
Thanks for proposing this feature.
You can do this currently. You need to create 2 tanks and assign the ReefBot to the one that you want to test

mikedb

View Badges
Reaction score
I have been successfully using my ReefBot for around four months, and for the most part is great. But a few features would really improve the experience. Here are my thoughts, in order of most important to least important:

1. Improve communication of remaining reagent levels: Right now, there is no way to see remaining reagent levels from the 'results' dashboard. Instead, two clicks are required to get to the 'reefbot' dashboard (yet another click is required to visit the page where these levels can be reset). Please put these common functions on the same page!

From the app, there is no way to tell how many more tests are possible with the remaining reagent. This information is communicated (solely) through emailed consumption alerts, but the threshold for when these readings are sent appears to be totally random. Yesterday I received a warning that I had 18 nitrate tests remaining.... great, I guess I will put a reminder in my calendar for a week from now to refill that reagent?

What users really want to know is when their reagent needs to be refilled, given the current testing schedule- but this information isn't available anywhere. Why not add it to the dashboard- something like "xx days/ hours remaining"? What would be even more useful is email alerts sent at a user-specified amount of time before the reagents run out.

And while you are at it, it sure would be nice to see the remaining life for ALL reagents when I get a warning, not just the one that is getting low. With 8 different reagents, more than one is nearly always running low.

2. Set Titration limits: Right now, the ReefBot runs titration-style tests (such as Red Sea Alkalinity and API Calcium) through their entire range, even if the endpoint color is achieved. For the Red Sea Alkalinity test, it takes about 0.6ml of reagent to test up to 8.5dKH (which my tank never exceeds), but the ReefBot continues with the full 1ml so I end up 'throwing out' 0.4ml of reagent every test. While it doesn't sound like a lot, this would allow me to go from 11 tests per refill to 18... a big improvement! I would also save at least $10/month in reagent...

3. Interpolation: Many of the test kits that the ReefBot uses are quite coarse... Red Sea Alkalinity measures in increments of 0.3dKH; Tropic Marin NO3 measures 1, 2, 5, 10, and 20 ppm NO3; Red Sea Phosphate measures 0.02, 0.04, 0.08, 0.12, and 0.16ppm PO4. When testing the old way, I would mentally 'interpolate' between the various color comparators to get an idea whether the sample reading was dead-on or between two values. And looking at the ReefBot's color results in the app, you can do the same thing! But unfortunately, the bot does't yet have the ability to automate this by providing an interpolated numerical reading, which is removes the ability to spot trends or an increasing or decreasing parameter.

4. Allow the user to set the length of their intake tubing: The ReefBot uses a fair bit of tank water for each reading, partly because it needs to clear all previous sample's water from the tubing. Since my ReefBot is right next to my sump, I have cut my intake tubing significantly- it is only around 2'. But the ReefBot doesn't know this, so it uses enough water to clear the stock amount of tubing (6' ?) each test, unnecessarily throwing out tank water.

5. Extend the Syringe Life: The ReefBot uses a commonly-available syringe, but a proprietary needle that isn't cheap. They need to be changed every 60 tests, or about every 6 days at my current rate. Because of the aforementioned issues with reporting remaining reagent/supply levels, it isn't uncommon for me to reset the syringe warning to keep testing, and then to forget about it. I regularly run 120 or even 180 tests on a single syringe and needle, and have never had issues or seen a shift in my results. What is the failure mode for these components that is driving this interval? Do both pieces really need to be changed so frequently?

6. Fix Notifications: This is really #1 for me, but since it is a bug I didn't want to lead with it. Please fix the iOS notifications for test results and reminders... right now I am having to default to email which is really clogging my inbox.

I really like my ReefBot and believe in the design, but just these above improvements would remove nearly all of the annoyances I have with it, and allow me to give a much more wholehearted recommendation when I am asked about it.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Back