2022 Photo & Baby Update - 170 Gallon Mixed Reef - CADE 1500

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about doing a hybrid t5 and putting the reefbreeders in the middle. What hybrid do you have?
36" aquatic life. Its just way to much for my needs. Currently working on a shroom lagoon.

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the lumen bars ARE just on/off. I have mine on a timer such that they help accelerate the late morning to late afternoon. Since the main schedule is still managed by the photon, it isn't actually a noticeable negative.

Here's the noticeable negative.

I literally just came downstairs for a last look before bed, and I'm glad I did. Because the right BOT Mounting Arm snapped catastrophically.

Fortunately, the lumen bars had already turned off, because one was in the water. Near killed myself emergently getting it all turned off and getting the whole system off the tank and to the ground without dropping it into the aquarium or falling or busting some glass, etc. I'm ... Pretty frustrated. I guess 2 mounting arms aren't sufficient to handle the photon + 2 lumenbars.

So that's as close to a total catastrophe as I possibly could have come and I'm dumb lucky everything is ok.

PXL_20210621_031543500~2.jpg

Now I'm scratching my head about what to do to get light back on the tank tomorrow. SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

It's like I've said before. Keeping a reef aquarium even under optimal circumstances is one long battle against chaos and entropy.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I was actually going to ask you what mounts you were using because from talking to Logan the bots don't support the extra weight of the lumens. He did say he was testing it with the new ones he's putting out but no idea an eta on that.

Do you have a way to hang them

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I was actually going to ask you what mounts you were using because from talking to Logan the bots don't support the extra kind as weight of the lumens. He did say he was testing it with the new ones he's putting out but no idea an eta on that.

Do you have a way to hang them
I'm not sure I trust the ceiling to hold the weight either lol. I'm going to home depot with a thoughtful and open mind at first opportunity.

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, many hours later and the problem solved. Also, pretty sure it looks way better than before.

Pics incoming, but I'm exhausted and it's time for drinks and a little family binge of Loki #1&2.

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very blue, as it's late in the evening cycle, but honestly pretty happy with it. And very confident in the security of steel triple bolted into studs.

PXL_20210622_002114848~2.jpg
PXL_20210622_002001725~2.jpg
came out great, nice work!

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks super clean. Thank reefer gods everything worked out and you caught it on time.
Absolutely the reefer gods at work. The timer had turned off the lumenbars, which was the only bit actually in the water. I had NO reason to go check on it again. Plus, I initially lifted it out of the water like a dummy before checking the power situation.

Even more, my now-second-trimester-from-IVF-after-5-years-trying wife (huzzah) was absolutely passed out way upstairs and I hadn't turned the lights in the room on, and my cell phone was on 2%. There was definitely a moment there in the pitch black holding the lights up on my own and uncertain what to do from there where I wondered why I got a reef tank again.

But in the end, other than a lost afternoon and a good reminder at the freshly minted age of 40 to keep staying fit and healthy for future such situations, the only real consequence was a much cleaner and sturdier lighting situation.

The gods of reefing luck indeed.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely the reefer gods at work. The timer had turned off the lumenbars, which was the only bit actually in the water. I had NO reason to go check on it again. Plus, I initially lifted it out of the water like a dummy before checking the power situation.

Even more, my now-second-trimester-from-IVF-after-5-years-trying wife (huzzah) was absolutely passed out way upstairs and I hadn't turned the lights in the room on, and my cell phone was on 2%. There was definitely a moment there in the pitch black holding the lights up on my own and uncertain what to do from there where I wondered why I got a reef tank again.

But in the end, other than a lost afternoon and a good reminder at the freshly minted age of 40 to keep staying fit and healthy for future such situations, the only real consequence was a much cleaner and sturdier lighting situation.

The gods of reefing luck indeed.
Crazy man. I had a similar situation happen with my t5 hybrid. Hung from ceiling. Plugged in up on aluminum ladder. All I wanted to do was raise the clips on chain. Forgot to tighten the set screw in middle and the front right side slid forward and stopped right above water line. Was relieved it didn't hit corner of tank then I realized my hand was in water under the corner. Was pretty sketchy to say the least.

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going waterbox, but settled on cade due to the algae Barn deal and features like gravity ATO
Same reason I went Cade, also read quite a few horror stories regarding shipping malfunctions with waterbox right around the time I was finally deciding on which to order.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensions on both (lx 230 and cade 1500) tanks are same if i remember correctly. The only difference is sump and ato.

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensions on both (lx 230 and cade 1500) tanks are same if i remember correctly. The only difference is sump and ato.
It was interesting to see the waterbox offered on a proper CADE like stand (or did WB do it first?), and CADE comes with a more advanced control center with the in-built power banks IMO.

Also, it somehow seems easier to get the CADE you want than the precise WB you want.

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a big deal to refill Ato?
So I have a guest shower that's literally never been used in the basement, about 25 feet of corners away from the CADE. That's where my mixing and RO/DI bins are Once a week in dry seasons, once every 10 days in humid ones, I walk a 30 foot hose from the RODI bucket to the ATO, clamp it in, turn on the pump, and in 3-4 minutes turn it off and walk it back. Takes less than five minutes of my life.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back