Reefbreeders or T5 Hybrid (Is T5 getting phased out?)

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I’m picking up a Waterbox 145.5 near the end of the month and I’ve narrowed down to:

1. 50” Reefbreeders

or

2. 61” Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid

I was going to go with the T5 route but hearing too many things about how T5 are being phased out since there was a ban in Europe where the T5 are being made.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been saying that since 2018. Lobbying slows things down.

It doesn’t seem like every bulb will be phased out and exemptions will be in place for some.

HL R7 halogens will remain available on the market, and some fluorescents such as T5s.

Last edited:

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a pretty large T5 market, so I wouldn't expect them to go away anytime soon. If ATI or Geismann stopped production, I'd think someone else would step up and enjoy a nice profit in that arena. Coming from an AquaticLife T5 Hybrid Dimmable owner. ;-)

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been saying that since 2018. Lobbying slows things down.

It doesn’t seem like every bulb will be phased out.

HL R7 halogens will remain available on the market, and some fluorescents such as T5s.

Its been rumored since 2008 that t12's were being discontinued too lol.
And here we are 13 years later still ordering t12 bulbs in my shop.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What led would you go with if you used the aquatic life. Is the question reef breeders alone, or reef breeders WITH the aquatic life. The hybrid unit doesn’t come with leds. Just t5’s and hardware to add another manufacturers led units

OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What led would you go with if you used the aquatic life. Is the question reef breeders alone, or reef breeders WITH the aquatic life. The hybrid unit doesn’t come with leds. Just t5’s and hardware to add another manufacturers led units
If I go reeferbreeders it would be by itself.

If I do the aquaticlife hybrid, it would be with my two XR15s that I have.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders is definitely nice… saves on bunch of cords. 1 plug instead of 4
The light spread is very good too. I don’t see a lot of shadowing, at least for right now. Color blending could be a little better but it doesn’t bother me

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the fence about the T5 fixture. I figured the bulbs can last up to 24 months if you stretch it, so over the next year just purchase five sets and it's good to go for about 10 years, lol. If they become unavailable I'd have replacements.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 and halide bulbs will be around for a long time and for good reason. Don't believe the nonsense someone else writes about them going away.
I am so glad I retired my ecotechs. I will phase myself out if I have to use those again.

After studying Coral Euphoria and Reef Bum channels I am replacing 10k white with 6500 t5s. Get what only 40 usd to try not 899 ;)

Last edited:

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the fence about the T5 fixture. I figured the bulbs can last up to 24 months if you stretch it, so over the next year just purchase five sets and it's good to go for about 10 years, lol. If they become unavailable I'd have replacements.
There are some references to phase out in Eu countries in 2025 with plenty of notice and stocking possible if it ever does happen.

World wide corals in extended inerviews openly admits transitioning stock to LEDs was a major undertaking. I would take it one step further. The reaon you do not see a lot of old school SPS anymore in regional areas is hobby attrition and they did not make transition. This is highly debatable because they can be had, just not cheap and plentiful

-----------------------------------------------------

There is banter about costs of LEDs being cheaper. High end SPS tank will need 3 Ecotechs for full coverage of and units last 5 years or so with faster planned obsolesence. 899 x 3 / 5 = 550 in annual equipment costs at 400- 500 wats at 12 -15" height

ATI 8 x 54w = 650 for unit and (25 * 8) for bulbs = 850 + 400 in more bulbs (250 in annual equipment costs) 350 to 400 watts at 9" Height. There is not much debate how even and reliable this coverage will be. This fixture has 10 year life.

-------------------------------------------------------

Taking this step further the LED drivers are assembled units kept above the tank and serviced with highly proprietary parts if even available at time needed. Just buy more the next model will be better. Without any standardization of LED parts it will be a money grab staying in the hobby. Corals are no more healthy and growth is no better than a decade ago.

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 61 in AquaticLife T5 setup on my tank and I will not change. If for some reason the bulbs are phased out in another country, they will simply move to the US and make them.

RicanKing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did in the beginning but never had luck. Nothing with the lights though. I was having trouble keeping my parameters stable. Only minor complaint about the reefbreeders is the color blending could be a little better
I'm trying to decide either ai hydra 32 or reefbreeders

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’m using 4 Ai hydra 32hd in my 48” t5 hybrid Mount . The led combo is the best with t5 you won’t regret it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back