Reefbreeders Photon 24 V2 vs. a pair of AI Hydra 26HD

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like opinions on which would be better over a 92 Gallon Corner bow. I was set on the Photon but ran across a good deal on a a pair of year old Hydra 26HD's and now I'm torn. My main concern is coverage and depth penetration. The tank is 24" deep, will be mixed reef, sps heavy. I'm also wondering about the reliability of the Hydra's, I'd hate to have one (or both) crap out and be up a creek. Any opinions would be appreciated.

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bow tanks, especially corner bow tanks are difficult to light due to their configuration. I don't know what the "good deal" on the Hydra is but if it is equal to the cost of the 24" Photon V2 then I would go with the 2 Hydras vs the 1 Photon. These are both good fixtures, I think the lighting output would be comparable however with the 2 units you have a little more flexibility. The flexibility would help you with lighting this type of tank. The LED spectrum on both are comparable. I believe there is independent color control on both units as well. So in my opinion if the price is the same I would go with the Hydras. Is there any warranty on the used Hydras?

P.S.: I would place 1 Hydra in the rear of the tank which would sit perpendicular to the other Hydra in the front of the tank.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S.: I would place 1 Hydra in the rear of the tank which would sit perpendicular to the other Hydra in the front of the tank.

Can one 26HD cover that width? I believe it's 48" across the front. I don't think so. I was thinking side by side fanned out.

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot the dimension of the width....so the bow front is 48" wide (Y), 34" on side walls (X)...not sure what the radius (Z) dimension is. Maybe you would be better off placing the lights similar to the Y axis side to side (however I'd place them nearer to the middle but slightly closer to the front not where the Y line is drawn, maybe behind the line towards the back of the tank)....it depends on your coral placement....I think the best case scenario would be 3 hydras....and place the 3rd perpendicular to Y on the Z line towards the back. This is why I said these tanks are difficult to light and why the two Hydras would give you more flexibility. Start with the 2 fixtures and see how the light fills the tank...you might want to play with the height of the fixtures as well but with that configuration you are either going to have some shadowing or some light spill, (depending on the height of the fixtures). With the 1 Photon fixture you have fewer choices on placement.
corner.jpg

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot the dimension of the width....so the bow front is 48" wide (Y), 34" on side walls (X)...not sure what the radius (Z) dimension is. Maybe you would be better off placing the lights similar to the Y axis side to side (however I'd place them nearer to the middle but slightly closer to the front not where the Y line is drawn, maybe behind the line towards the back of the tank)....it depends on your coral placement....I think the best case scenario would be 3 hydras....and place the 3rd perpendicular to Y on the Z line towards the back. This is why I said these tanks are difficult to light and why the two Hydras would give you more flexibility. Start with the 2 fixtures and see how the light fills the tank...you might want to play with the height of the fixtures as well but with that configuration you are either going to have some shadowing or some light spill, (depending on the height of the fixtures). With the 1 Photon fixture you have fewer choices on placement.
corner.jpg

Z and X are both 34".

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh duh.......both are the radius.....I should have realized that !!!! (LOL) What are you planning on keeping? SPS dominated? Mixed Reef?

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion....but I'd start with the 2 Hydras and place the SPS accordingly. As things progress you may want to purchase a 3rd.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that's a tough trick to light that tank.
The photon has better coverage and more power.

Other options.
Off the top of my head 3 kessil 360 would be a better choice for coverage and be in between the two Powerwise.

A 30 in and a 24 in Or smaller behind it.

The two 24 would work fine but need to be higher up.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that's a tough trick to light that tank.
The photon has better coverage and more power.

Other options.
Off the top of my head 3 kessil 360 would be a better choice for coverage and be in between the two Powerwise.

A 30 in and a 24 in Or smaller behind it.

The two 24 would work fine but need to be higher up.

Yea, I'm starting to lean towards the Photon. Kessils are out of the question, $$$$. The deal with the Hydras is $425 and I have to drive 2 hours each way to get them. I need more power and coverage more than I need the bling factor of the Hydras although they are very cool and I love the interface. I also like the fact that Reefbreeders has a good reputation for customer service, I think I'm going to order today.

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started up a 50 gallon tank, looking to make it a reef tank. What are suggestions with my lighting situation? Are your recommendations specific for the bow front tank or just in general?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back