Reefbreeders Photon V2 channel percentage?

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a rough idea what the lights should be set at % wise? Right now I have green and red off and everything else at 35% except white. Thats at 13%.
I have just fish only at the moment but I want to add coral to this tank. Lights are 18" off the water in a redsea max 650S tank.

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say what percentage it should run since everyone's tank require different intensity. My system (75 Gallons) is SPS dominant with some LPS such as hammer, frogspawn, torch, duncan, candy cane, and Acans. My photons v2 is integrated with Apex with the highest intensity on my tank is as follows:
White - 15% (i prefer blue-ish look)
Cool Blue - 60%
Royal Blue - 60%
Violet - 60%
Green / Red - 8%

My intensity may not work for everyone but for my tank it's keeping everything alive and thriving. Hope this helps and also since it is connected to my Apex, I do have the lights ramping up and down. Also I might add I just recently added 4 bulb T5 but i've been able to run just photons for about a year when I first bought it without any issues, I only added the T5 since I started to get into SPS and feel like I needed that extra UMPH to the light. Hope this helps and shed some light (no pun intended) on what you're looking for. Since you're only running FOWLR right now, i would slowly adjust your light when starting off and keep any changes very slowly to avoid any downfalls.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a rough idea what the lights should be set at % wise?
You are at a perfect starting point. I run my leds at 12% blue channel and 12% white and growth is amazing. in a 210g tank that i sdeeper than yours. Checking par not a bad idea, its easy to turn leds up higher than you need. If you have lights to low they will still grow coral fine, but if you have them to bright, growth stops, and decay can set in.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I rented a PAR meter and saw about 300-350 up top and no less than 150 on the sand bed.
Im about to add corals into this tank but I think I might want to get a dosing setup first.

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I rented a PAR meter and saw about 300-350 up top and no less than 150 on the sand bed.
Im about to add corals into this tank but I think I might want to get a dosing setup first.
How did you rent a par meter?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65 gallon with lights about 10” off the water and I believe at max I’m running 10% green and red, 30% white and 50% blue then I drop the whites low for heavy blues in the evening. Have seen really good growth so far and haven’t fried anything yet but it’s only been about 2 months.

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing pump is a time saver! Not a mandatory but is nice to have. Depending on how many corals and what type of corals you are getting, water change only may not be enough. I would keep some supplements on standby just in case parameters are not within your intended goals. Good luck and hope your reef tank thrive....expensive hobby but worth the headache and frustrations lol

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do figure it out, use this chart as a tool for ramp up and down. Just set your high mark you want for the blues and program your lights.

Attachments

• My Photon V2 Chart (3).xlsx
    25.7 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing pump is a time saver! Not a mandatory but is nice to have. Depending on how many corals and what type of corals you are getting, water change only may not be enough. I would keep some supplements on standby just in case parameters are not within your intended goals. Good luck and hope your reef tank thrive....expensive hobby but worth the headache and frustrations lol
I cannot do weekly water changes, just dont have time to do that. Takes maybe 3-4 hours each time and its a huge hit to my days. I have been testing and dosing manually but I cannot keep up with the demand of the corals. For this little 45 gallon tank they are almost consuming 2dKH a DAY

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot do weekly water changes, just dont have time to do that. Takes maybe 3-4 hours each time and its a huge hit to my days. I have been testing and dosing manually but I cannot keep up with the demand of the corals. For this little 45 gallon tank they are almost consuming 2dKH a DAY
That is a lot of consumption, dosing pump is a great investment! I have a wifi dosing pump but want to upgrade to maybe Apex DOS since I have the apex system already. Still looking at options for dosing pumps.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are doing something wrong, unless you are disabled.
I only have a single brute can. By the time I start making water, mix the salt suck up water/ algae from the tank and clean up it takes a few hours.

If I actually fill the brute can it takes 4.5 hours for 30 gallons. This is a BRS 4 stage RODI with water saver. Its about 1 gallon every 9 minutes.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you found and read through therman's threads? As fellow v2 user, you should. He has perhaps the best results under LED that I have ever seen. He is nearly 100% on all channels.

It will be worth your time to find the threads.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like virtually nobody (at least nobody who is paying attention), including myself, is using more than a trivial amount of green and red. That being the case, what's the point of them being there in the first place?
I think it’s more for visual tuning from what I’ve heard a lot of people say. I’ve seen plenty of people with and without green and red in their spectrum that seem successful. as far as the reef breeders red and green only account for 3% of the total power each if I remember correctly so even on full that’s only 6% of the total light in that spectrum.

Back