ReefBreeders Photon V2 Pro vs Orphek Atlantik iCon

WhenKeepinItReefGoesWrong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to setup a 6 foot peninsula (72x25x24) and am debating lighting. I haven't ruled out any options, but two I'm considering are a pair of ReefBreeders Photon 32 V2 Pro, or a pair of Orphek Atlantik iCons. I'd love some recommendations on pros/cons of each, and am open to any other recommendations people have. Because of how I'm setting the tank up, my preference is to hang the lights from the ceiling.

Thanks!

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran a Photon 32 V2+ over my 40B for a year now. I very happy with it.

What kind of questions do you have about it?

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on, what kind of tank are you running? My main concerns are the width of my tank (25") and if you struggle with any shadowing from the spread?
I'm running a 40 B and have the lights hung ~1.5ft from the top of the tank. My tank is only 18" wide. but the coverage is great, they even cover quite a bit of the floor around the tank.

The reefbreeders website has some great information about the spread. It looks like they think you can cover a 24" wide tank with 1 light.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of it depends on your budget. The photons are good lights but the Atlantik are excellent lights. If the budget allows, I'd definitely opt for the Atlantik... you'll light it up very well with 2 fixtures.

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of it depends on your budget. The photons are good lights but the Atlantik are excellent lights. If the budget allows, I'd definitely opt for the Atlantik... you'll light it up very well with 2 fixtures.
Hi! I have the same question and am hopping on this thread, I hope the OP doesn’t mind!

I’m buying lighting for a 96x30x24 tank, do you think two Icons will be enough coverage for softies/zoas/BTA? That is the only coral I will keep in that tank. Trying to decide if I need two or 3 Icons (or 2 Icons and one compact, or just go with photons). Thanks!

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have the same question and am hopping on this thread, I hope the OP doesn’t mind!

I’m buying lighting for a 96x30x24 tank, do you think two Icons will be enough coverage for softies/zoas/BTA? That is the only coral I will keep in that tank. Trying to decide if I need two or 3 Icons (or 2 Icons and one compact, or just go with photons). Thanks!
3 minimum

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can push 1 per 36” for the Atlantik. Of you don’t mind some dead spots maybe a bit more… but I think I’ll have some serious dark spots in your tank that way

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the ATI Straton.

I love my Atlantik V4s but will likely switch to straton when it's time to replace.

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Photon is outdated 2016 tech. There are so many better lights out on the market that are more budget friendly with similar specs or others are so far advanced it doesn't warrant the purchase to save a few dollars for a long term purchase. The positive is that it is a panel light, but that's not unique in today's market.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy with 1 orphek Atlantic v4 on 48" long, ceiling mount. Run at 85%.
2 on a 72" tank would be great.
You could even start with 1 and add another if/when you need to.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my 2 over my cube.

corey

Attachments

• 53967791-1AB7-4C38-9C22-2E53C7710888.jpeg
    53967791-1AB7-4C38-9C22-2E53C7710888.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 56

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Photon is outdated 2016 tech. There are so many better lights out on the market that are more budget friendly with similar specs or others are so far advanced it doesn't warrant the purchase to save a few dollars for a long term purchase. The positive is that it is a panel light, but that's not unique in today's market.

It’s a fine light. The control is clunky. But honestly. A pair of photon 50’s to light my 150 gallon saved me thousands over most the other popular options out there for the same blanket coverage. It’s more than a few bucks. Yes, some of the newer lights will include another shade of blue and violet in there, But it’s really the software than sets them apart from something like the reef breeders

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a fine light. The control is clunky. But honestly. A pair of photon 50’s to light my 150 gallon saved me thousands over most the other popular options out there for the same blanket coverage. It’s more than a few bucks. Yes, some of the newer lights will include another shade of blue and violet in there, But it’s really the software than sets them apart from something like the reef breeders

Yeah I don't disagree they are good budget lights, but there are some cheaper budget lights out there. I think they are the "medium size popcorn" of lights. The best value is in the higher end or lower end of the light market.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't disagree they are good budget lights, but there are some cheaper budget lights out there. I think they are the "medium size popcorn" of lights. The best value is in the higher end or lower end of the light market.

Medium popcorn is a good analogy. If I didn’t get a great deal on these I’d probably go for something like a viparspectra for every 12”

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these name brand lights are ridiculous for how much they cost, and they cant grow any faster than cheap chinese lights. Is it worth a thousand or more for dawn dusk effects?

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these name brand lights are ridiculous for how much they cost, and they cant grow any faster than cheap chinese lights. Is it worth a thousand or more for dawn dusk effects?
I've taken apart both the cheap Chinese light and my reef breeders. The build quality isn't on the same level. To your point people have success with both. To each their own.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheap Chinese light and my reef breeders.
I have ocean revives, rb offers little they dont. rb are nice lights, so are my or

I just added 2 rb uv bars, its the same exact cheap chinese housings, brackets, leds and electronics

the only thing difference was the price was stupid with rb. dont try to bs us on quality. there is no difference. I own both.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back