Reefbreeders Photon V2+ vs. AI Prime 16

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a little frustrated with SPS shadowing with my 2x AI Primes. The IM Peninsula 20 is too narrow for any hybrid fixture. Any thoughts on using the 24" Photon V2+ for this tank? My only concern is the footprint is a little too small for the Reefbreeder once its raised up to a nice mounting height.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure the reef breeders will solve the shading. Super tight optics. Yes they’re more spread out. But they are all kinda like lasers that point straight down

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think it would definitely help address your shading concerns. I did kinda the same thing by going from Hydra 26HD's to a Photon V2+, made a pretty significant difference in my tank (as far as visible shading goes).

I think you will have a bit of light bleed though with the size of your tank. My only suggestion would be to lower the light a bit, but then you lose a bit of the spread you want in the tank too. (yeah, I know, I gave you absolutely no useful info!......o_O)

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about adding a light strip(or 2) on timers.
I have the exact same setup(IM 20P, 2 HD 16) no shading problem yet. And I wanted a 24" ReefBreeders for it(during the start of Covid) but everybody was out of stock for like 9 months so got the Primes.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about adding a light strip(or 2) on timers.
I have the exact same setup(IM 20P, 2 HD 16) no shading problem yet. And I wanted a 24" ReefBreeders for it(during the start of Covid) but everybody was out of stock for like 9 months so got the Primes.
I've thought about light strips but it would be a bit tricky. I'm not sure how I would mount them so they angle inwards without a canopy to mount it too.

I could potentially get a 5 hole Reefbrite bracket to hang and only install the exterior strips so the Primes can still shine through. Also not sure which Reefbrites would be most appropriate for coloring up the sides of corals.

210653-lbk105-b-5-hole-led-bracket-reef-brite.jpg

Back