Reefbrite MH fixture tripping power bar and/or GFCI

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Reefbrite 250w fixtures keeps tripping either my power bar, or if not that, my entire GFCI outlet the power bar is plugged into. What could be the issue and/or how do I go about figuring it out?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple solution is to take if off of the GFCI. I do not run most stuff on GFCI... I do not need a fish fart tripping it... I just need stuff to run and run. Return pumps, heaters and lights are non GFCI items for me... any contact with real water will trip a normal breaker anyway.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple solution is to take if off of the GFCI. I do not run most stuff on GFCI... I do not need a fish fart tripping it... I just need stuff to run and run. Return pumps, heaters and lights are non GFCI items for me... any contact with real water will trip a normal breaker anyway.
I don't think I have any other outlet available where the tank is located. I can double check though. I have two MH fixtures, exact same. The other is plugged into a different controller power bar and a different GFCI outlet and it never trips. And when I leave the misbehaving MH unplugged from the power bar that one also never trips. So, has to be an issue with this particular fixture I just don't know what.

Except that it's tripping something. :D

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ballasts will trip GFCI every once in a while... especially when starting up. It is not consistent enough for me to worry about... like maybe it would do it once a month.

While you are figuring this out, run an extension cord from another outlet. It is not worth risking other equipment shutting down.

Did you send a note to the ballast manufacturer?

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ballasts will trip GFCI every once in a while... especially when starting up. It is not consistent enough for me to worry about... like maybe it would do it once a month.

While you are figuring this out, run an extension cord from another outlet. It is not worth risking other equipment shutting down.

Did you send a note to the ballast manufacturer?
Could it be an issue with the bulb at all? I could swap the bulb out just to see, but won't bother if there's no chance it could be the cause. I haven't contacted the manufacturer yet, but have plans to do so if I can't resolve it easily.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switch to a Giesemann Spectra running two 250W and had the same problem. They will not run on a GFI. I plugged the Apex Energy Bar into a non GFI outlet and they have worked flawlessly.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plugged the fixture into a non-GFCI outlet when I got home yesterday and it stayed on all evening. So, before I went to bed I plugged it back into the power bar so it can be controlled and plugged the power bar into the non-GFCI outlet. Hopefully that will do the trick for now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back