OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two 55 gallon drums. The one on the left is for RODI water and the one on the right is for fresh saltwater. I have a pump in the RODI drum that pumps water to the other drum where I mix up the salt. I also use these drums to change water out for my established 187 gallon tank. Auto top-off for both the new peninsula tank and the 187 gallon tank are drawn from the RODI drum.

Tank Plumbing pic 19.jpg

I also added some valves to the right of the drum used to mix up new saltwater (there is a pump inside this drum as well). So if I want to pump water back into the peninsula tank I leave the valves as is. If I want it to go to the 187 gallon tank I turn each one the other way.

Tank Plumbing pic 20.jpg

This is the plumbing I put in to return water from the saltwater drum to the Dreambox for the peninsula tank. And here is the last part of it that goes into the Dreambox.

Tank Plumbing pic 27.jpg

Tank Plumbing pic 29.jpg
Tank Plumbing pic 30.jpg

Last edited:

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never fails. The best place in the room results in the most difficult plumbing because of a furnace or chimney. Nice work around. Bummer that the distant will add a lot of head on your return side. I had that same problem with my 90. The location of the new 220 is a little friendlier. Detail on the plumbing was very nice. Thanks for the build thread.

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, shifting gears a bit, I decided to start this tank with live rock versus dry rock. I had a crap experience my only time starting a tank with dry rock, as I had one problem after another, including a diatom bloom, bacterial bloom, dinos and cyano. I also could not grow SPS like I had in my tanks started with live rock.

One big advantage with dry rock that was appealing is that you can take your time sculpting a cool aquascape. Another is there is less chance of pests hitching into the tank, although this did happen when I tried dry rock (they came in on rock attached to corals).

Nonetheless, the biodiversity that comes with live rock is awesome and it was the main reason I decided to use it for this tank. I also believe you have to wait longer before adding SPS to a dry rock only tank.

I read some good reviews about KP Aquatics so I decided to order 100 lbs of their live rock. They talked me into shipping it in water versus wet newspaper.

Live Rock pic 4.jpg

I was leery about having it shipped in water out of fear that more hitchhikers would survive the trip. But they said I could flush out any unwanted critters by dipping the rock a few times in water with very high specific gravity (1.035 to 1.040)

Live Rock pic 1.jpg
Live Rock pic 6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I unpacked the rock I discovered a ton of life crawling on it, including a bunch of brittle starfish and some crabs.

Live Rock pic 5.jpg

Live Rock pic 7.jpg

I did an initial dip in the high specific gravity saltwater, which flushed out some more brittle starfish and crabs as well as some pistol shrimp and a mantis shrimp.

I separated out the hitch-hikers I didn’t want in the tank, namely the crabs, pistol shrimp and mantis shrimp, and dropped them off at a local fish store the next day…..so nobody was rubbed out.

That night all of the rock was placed in the new system to start the cycle. And during the cycling process over the next week, I rinsed the rock two more times in saltwater with a high specific gravity to make sure other pests didn’t make the display their permanent home.

Live Rock pic 8.jpg

Overall, I could not be more pleased with the quality of this rock. There was a ton of biodiversity, beautiful coralline algae and even sponges. It was also very porous, a good thing since there was more surface area for the bacteria.

Live Rock pic 2.jpg

Live Rock pic 3.jpg

Live Rock pic 9.jpg

Live Rock pic 10.jpg

Live Rock pic 11.jpg

Live Rock pic 12.jpg

Live Rock pic 13.jpg

Live Rock pic 14.jpg

Live Rock pic 15.jpg

Live Rock pic 16.jpg

Live Rock pic 17.jpg

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, shifting gears a bit, I decided to start this tank with live rock versus dry rock. I had a crap experience my only time starting a tank with dry rock, as I had one problem after another, including a diatom bloom, bacterial bloom, dinos and cyano. I also could not grow SPS like I had in my tanks started with live rock.

One big advantage with dry rock that was appealing is that you can take your time sculpting a cool aquascape. Another is there is less chance of pests hitching into the tank, although this did happen when I tried dry rock (they came in on rock attached to corals).

Nonetheless, the biodiversity that comes with live rock is awesome and it was the main reason I decided to use it for this tank. I also believe you have to wait longer before adding SPS to a dry rock only tank.

I read some good reviews about KP Aquatics so I decided to order 100 lbs of their live rock. They talked me into shipping it in water versus wet newspaper.

Live Rock pic 4.jpg

I was leery about having it shipped in water out of fear that more hitchhikers would survive the trip. But they said I could flush out any unwanted critters by dipping the rock a few times in water with very high specific gravity (1.035 to 1.040)

Live Rock pic 1.jpg
Live Rock pic 6.jpg
wish i could get these in the UK :(

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Live Rock pic 4.jpg

Live Rock pic 1.jpg
Live Rock pic 6.jpg
This is one area where I fully understand the benefits of live rock and yet, I can't convince myself to go through with live rock again. I am not sure what is worse: the dry rock maturation process or the devils that live rock can introduce from day one.

My thought has been to do a pretty cool aquascape out of Caribsea rock but then order 20 or so pounds of LR from KP Aquatics. It would be much easier for me to only have to QT about 20 pounds compared to 100 pounds in the tank. I once dealt with a polyclad flatworm that devoured my CUC and I could not catch it.

But I absolutely dread the year plus and all the problems that come with dry rock. I am convinced if you start with dry rock you will encounter everything you said here...dinos, cyano, hair algae, etc. That stuff may actually be worse than what the LR can bring in.

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, glad I flushed it out.
Any other hitch hikers show up after the first couple weeks and dips? My biggest concern is a polyclad flatworm that eats snails. There are other worries as well but I once had a polyclad that I could not catch and I couldn't keep snails in that tank.

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of aquascaping this tank I wanted to go with a minimalistic approach.....less is more. I did wonder whether it was possible to do a unique scape with live rock using mortar, zip ties and acrylic rods but I decided to go the conventional route.

Why spend a ton of time on an intricate aquascape when corals will grow out and cover it up anyway? Here are some before and after shots of my old 225 gallon tank and my current 187 gallon tank. I started both with simple aquascapes and over time coral covered up the rock.

225 Gallon Tank - Before Coral
Aquascape 225g Tank.jpg

225 Gallon Tank - Mature Corals
March192011Tankpic2_edited-2.jpg

187 Gallon Tank - Before Coral
Full Tank April 30 2017.jpg

187 Gallon Tank - Mature Corals
Full Tank Pic1 Jan 23 2020.jpg

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of practicality, I wanted to make sure I had some space underneath the rock for the new scape to minimize the amount of detritus that could collect on the bottom of the tank.

Aquascaping pic 14.jpg

Aquascaping pic 15.jpg

I also wanted to create some caves for the fish so they could swim through and hide if necessary.

Aquascaping pic 19.jpg

Aquascaping pic 20.jpg

One reason why I wanted a 20" tall tank was due to the fact that I didn't want a tall rock structure. The plan was to have it go half way up the tank and have only two layers of rock, which would make life easier when creating the rock structure.

Aquascaping pic 13.jpg

Aquascaping pic 23.jpg

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had islands in my tanks so that was going to be part of the plan. And I also wanted to create some mini peninsulas....yes, peninsulas in a peninsula tank :) .... to make it easier to place frags along the entire rock structure, from the bottom up.

Aquascaping pic 16.jpg

Aquascaping pic 21.jpg

Aquascaping pic 22.jpg

Overall, I spent a couple of hours on the structure and I am very pleased about how it turned out.

Aquascaping pic 26.jpg

Aquascaping pic 3.jpg

Aquascaping pic 8.jpg

Aquascaping pic 9.jpg

Aquascaping pic 10.jpg

Aquascaping pic 12.jpg

Aquascaping pic 18.jpg

Aquascaping pic 11.jpg

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier for cleaning. Like the minimalistic approach. I was heading in that direction. I spent a lot of time building the rock structure in my 90. Same thing happened. It got way to crowded -- to the point where I was getting annoyed. Glad you found the mantis. That would have been painful

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other hitch hikers show up after the first couple weeks and dips? My biggest concern is a polyclad flatworm that eats snails. There are other worries as well but I once had a polyclad that I could not catch and I couldn't keep snails in that tank.
I had what looked like a sea slug but someone told me it was a keyhole limpet. It was bright orange so I dropped it off at my LFS just to be on the safe side.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely....
Some nice fish additions from TSM, like you I am hoping for a few nice Red Sea Regals to come in soon.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back