ReefDoctor's 800 gallons of water

ReefDoctor

Just a hobbiest
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
My name is Chris and my wifes name is Sue. We both love reefs and the many life forms that inhabit them. As we have expanded our collections we became entirely sidetracked by the very colorful LPS corals we found. Then upon finding our first micromussa amakusensis we were hooked! We now keep and propagate over 70 unique morphs of micromussa and are continually searching for more. To support this addiction we trade and sell bits and pieces of our little reef world.

Currently we keep A Very large system... Over 800 gallons final tally:

Our main Prop tank</B> with all of the micromussas is an 90 gallon tank that has an eggcrate shelf built that hangs about 3 inches under the suface of the water. About 6 inches above the waters surface hang 2X 250watt 20K Radium MH with 2 X 110watt VHO actinics and 2 X 110watt VHO 10K sunburst. This lighting has the micros under 10 hours of very intense lighting each day and seems to provide excellent growth and coloration.

Our Quarantined/imported corals tank is 80 gallons and Uses 400watt MH XMs

Our 400 gallon Main Show tank is still a work in progress. 2004 I began noticing that I was having to sell off all of my other corals just to make room for my micros and acans... my 80 gallon tank just could not hold everything. I knew I wanted to build a large system but the costs were very intimidating. I finally decided to just do it! I knew I needed an entire reef room to house this and also I wanted room to be able to mantain this tank and all of its equipment, I was also tired of crawling around under a tank stand.... I knew that with all of the frag trading that I do I would need to have quite a large prop tank. 5 years ago when I had built my house I had not finished my basement and then it was off to Iraq so the basement never got completed. This scenario was perfect for me to sell the idea to my wife Sue, "I''ll finish the whole basement if you let me build part of it as my reef room baby?" she was positive and supportive from the beginning.

So here are the stats: The room itself is 14''X14'' and has 3 dedicated 20A circuts (not including the actual ambient room lighting which is just on the Basement light circut). I have plumbed a deep utility sink into the wall and also plumbed a drain for easy water changes. 100GPD RODI lines supply the Saltwater mix vat and the Top-off. For the Plumbing I had ALOT of help from Paul at Oceans Motions... he is great and gives up so much of his time to explain things, what a smart man.

The tank is Starphire 1/2" low iron glass in a Eurobraced plywood frame coated in "BREWCOAT" 2 part FDA approved epoxy... the back of the tank has black pond foam.. then it was coated in epoxy and then crushed coral and sprinkled into the drying epoxy to form a rock wall.

96"X32"X31"

Stand:
Wood and concrete block
Filtration:
1X 3600gph Dart for sump/150 gallon, fuge/55gallon, prop/90gallon then return...
ETSS 1500XR skimmer powered by Iwaki 100rlt
Shallow sand bed in tank with DSB in the 150 gallon fuge, DSB with Plenum base in the 55gallon Refugium, 400+lbs of live rock in show tank and 100+lbs in the fuge
Closed LOOP:
2X OM 4ways feed by 2 X 3600gph Darts cycle flow back into the tank through 8 ports to create a "swirling barrell" effect
Lighting:
1X 8bulb bank of 54watt T-5s
4X 400watt 20K Radiums with Lumenarc Reflectors
1X 160watt VHO actinc
Ca:
4002 Koralline reactor with CO2 and auto dip 60gallon Kalk system
Feeding and supplements:
Fully controlled by a triple reefdoser and individual feeding stations
Electronic control and monitoring:
Pentium3 Dell Windows 2000 with Aquacontroller jr.

Left
DSC07131.jpg

Center
DSC06913-1.jpg

Right
DSC06914-1.jpg

Full Shot
DSC06908.jpg

If anyone is interested I will post pics of the "LAB"

OP
OP
ReefDoctor

ReefDoctor

Just a hobbiest
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is a Full Build thread over on that OTHER site... I just didnt want to link to it and drive traffic away from my new home :)

HeHe OK you guys have convinced me :)

My Lab
AAHHH haahahha

OLD pics I need to do some new ones... The frag tanks are now full and look way cool

Light rack on rails... weighs about 400lbs but can move it with 1 finger :)
DSC06241.jpg

Here is the Fuge, Frag tank, sump, skimmer and SW.. I was still building here.. I really need new pics!
DSC06160.jpg

Skimmer almost 6 ft tall
DSC06317.jpg

Fuge
DSC06764.jpg

Back of the tank
DSC06231.jpg

Dosers X 3 and fridge for Phyto and Trace
DSC06621.jpg

Some eye candy
Candyland.jpg

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa........talk about a micromussa garden!!

i dont think i've ever seen anything quite like that before!

MORE PICS!!! ;)

OP
OP
ReefDoctor

ReefDoctor

Just a hobbiest
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this....

FOR HYDROHEADS ONLY LOL

Here is a movie of my tank with no current Warning ZZZZZZZ

Now here is what happens when you turn on 3X Darts connected to 2X 4 way OM

Last edited:

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, it's good to see you here! Your new tank looks beautiful man, I've been following your thread on RC, I'll tag along here as well. :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chris about time you showedyour tank off here! I was beginning to think we wasnt special enough. :D

Man that is one bad butt tank.

Blue Water

Greenhorn Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool setup!!!
I was wondering, are you dosing the phyto constantly or in intervals?

I feel I need to confess... I just spent 15 minutes staring at the micros.:marv
Thinking, WOWwwww:notworthy:

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey chris for some of your eye candy i can do this for you
MVC-022F.jpg

well it will look like this after some weed grow
IMG_0234.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefDoctor

ReefDoctor

Just a hobbiest
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Phyto it doses I think 10cc every 6 hrs I was doing more but had a minor outbreak so I cut back some... 10cc really is not much But it seems to satisfy the filter feeders??? er they are still alive

Oh Man! Where were you when I was doing my landscaping? Thats gonna be sugar... post more pics when its all grown in... Is that in your yard or is that sculpture you are paid for?

You guys liked the micros huh? LOL

This was my easter EGG rack this year :)
WhereEasterEggscomefrom1.jpg

Now ya got me started... I miss being able to post pics.. this is cathartic!

Here are 2 oldies but goodies and they are actually even kinda educational :) They are my "Halloween Candy Bowls" from about 2 years ago.. alot of you have probably seen these but for thos of you who have not....

Lets Share a Bowl
HalloweenCandyBowlID.jpg

Pass me another :)
HalloweenCandyBowl2ID.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I really need to talk to the Easter Bunny!!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME blossom!!!!

thanks for sharing your pics Chris.. very very nice looking tank... :D

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Man! Where were you when I was doing my landscaping? Thats gonna be sugar... post more pics when its all grown in... Is that in your yard or is that sculpture you are paid for?
it is a day to day job and im still looking for OJ and pink lemonade ;-)

Carolina Frags

Fragging for a Living
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris glad you have my frags in the bowls.It will be ok to go ahead and send them Monday.Thanks!!

LOL

Nice setup!

OP
OP
ReefDoctor

ReefDoctor

Just a hobbiest
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys make me smile...

Grish I think that I have many of your "wish list" ready I was just looking at it this week and wondering if you were ready for a few

Larry I knew you would like those :)

I can sell here in about 3 more posts so I will get your collections kickstarted... when you are ready... heck anyone that places an order from club zoa (not Ebay) can have a $25 no lets make it a $50 discount :) (not in conjunction with any other discount LOL)BUt for now I have a bunch of frags on Ebay that are still .99 LOL Looks like I'm just giving them away

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdoctor64776 OH OH and a whole bunch of Aussie acan colonies too

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back