Reefer 200 overflow issue

bandos507

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

I keep having the same overflow issue. Originally there was a lot of gurgling noise which was bc I had the valve too open. I adjusted it so that the water was 2 inch below the emergency drain. Te water level stayed there for an entire day. This morning I checked and now it’s trickling down the emergency pipe. Why is the water level fluctuating so much ???!?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make a 1/4" open turn to your gate valve, and wait 2-3 minutes to observe. Repeat until the water level in the overflow is just below the edge of the emergency overflow pipe.

You'll probably find that once you've dialed it in that you need to make a similar adjustment (+/-) every month or so to keep it balanced.

OP
OP
B

bandos507

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make a 1/4" open turn to your gate valve, and wait 2-3 minutes to observe. Repeat until the water level in the overflow is just below the edge of the emergency overflow pipe.

You'll probably find that once you've dialed it in that you need to make a similar adjustment (+/-) every month or so to keep it balanced.
Hi! That’s what I did. And the level was perfect for 24 hours. I checked out of curiosity the next morning and it was 4 inch higher? How’s that possible. What am I doing wrong?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! That’s what I did. And the level was perfect for 24 hours. I checked out of curiosity the next morning and it was 4 inch higher? How’s that possible. What am I doing wrong?
You usually have to wait a few minutes after every adjustment, so it's possible you thought it had levelled out when in fact the water level was still gradually increasing or decreasing. As I said, 1/4" turn - then wait a few minutes. I like to keep the water level in my overflow right near the edge of the emergency overflow - so there's a tiny trickle of water going down it or it's right near the edge.

OP
OP
B

bandos507

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You usually have to wait a few minutes after every adjustment, so it's possible you thought it had levelled out when in fact the water level was still gradually increasing or decreasing. As I said, 1/4" turn - then wait a few minutes. I like to keep the water level in my overflow right near the edge of the emergency overflow - so there's a tiny trickle of water going down it or it's right near the edge.
Got it :) thank you! These forums are always a huge help
just thinking … what happens if water does trickle down the emergency pipe a little ? Is this ok to do ?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just thinking … what happens if water does trickle down the emergency pipe a little ? Is this ok to do ?
Thats how I have my setup tuned to be silent. Very slight trickle down the emergency drain with primary drain at full siphon. No issues with running this way and it will stay silent. If you do go to make more adjustments to the gate valve turn it so little your not sure if its even turned and let it be for an hour. Those tiny incremental changes can do a lot once you are getting close to where you want it to be.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Perfectly ok. As @Tonycass12 pointed out, a very slight trickle down the emergency overflow is an ideal setup.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back