Red Sea REEFER 250 ALL Pre-Conditioned and most CAPTIVE-BRED Fish, SPS, Zoanthids. Slow Poke Reef. WE HAVE WATER!! start page 61.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I don’t confuse you more. Any size container can be used but it will require you to empty it more. I’m lazy and forgetful

No. When first bottle is empty you need to manually switch it to the second bottle. When you switch it out you run a task and during that it ask you if you want to empty the waste container. Trident keeps track of how many test are left and how full or empty your waste container is. Your bottle will work but you probably will have to empty half way through the reagents.
When you setup trident it ask what size waste container your using.

Picture of the page. I have mine set at 3400 ml and come close if every drop of reagents used witch is rare.
824D9F40-0528-4F47-9719-06A20AEFC201.png

where it says reset you can select waste at anytime or wait until alk or all reagents are changed.
@Crabby48 I have a new Trident waste container. Holds about 3800 mL. Used for Costco peanut butter pretzels.
2BA5C5D1-56A7-4077-9744-D95F7D20A331.jpeg

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Motorized ball valve actuator. For my CO2 scrubber. It’s normally closed which means when no power is applied the valve is open thereby allowing air to bypassing the scrubber media. When power is applied, the valve closes and the skimmer draws air through the media to remove CO2 from the air going into the skimmer.
E40CEC70-9CC6-45AE-B7AF-D7234B41A876.jpeg

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Motorized ball valve actuator. For my CO2 scrubber. It’s normally closed which means when no power is applied the valve is open thereby allowing air to bypassing the scrubber media. When power is applied, the valve closes and the skimmer draws air through the media to remove CO2 from the air going into the skimmer.
E40CEC70-9CC6-45AE-B7AF-D7234B41A876.jpeg
I saw a YouTube video by Reefahholic that had that same valve on his scrubber, very good idea. Tricky part is getting the correct one from Amazon that’s pre-wired lol.

Also that probe holder reminds me of what we use in my manufacturing job, only difference is we use 2 small valves on either side of the probe holders in case they fail when pulling the probe out. They generally don’t and you just pull the probe right out to do maintenance or calibration. When they do fail and we forget to close the valve it can get ugly. I would consider painting that clear section or wrapping it due to potential algae growth. There’s no real need to be able to see inside that area anyways. If you are worried about sticking the probe in too far you can just get a o ring and place it on the probe where you want it to stop in the middle of the pipe.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sneak Peak from Adaptive Reef.

About two weeks ago Terrence from Neptune Systems interviewed Kyle from Adaptive Reef for a Let’s Talk Reef video on YouTube. A. Reef is coming out with a promising product I’m interested in. It’s a clear section of PVC that is an inline probe holder. Controller probes can be inserted into the pipe and a little collar screws down around the probe to hold it in there and keep water from escaping the pipe. Water flows through the pipe and the probes are able to test the water. This keeps probes out of the sump where room is prime real estate. From the picture looks like it holds a few probes. Well I emailed Adaptive Reef right away and asked about availability. Kyle got right back to me and said they’re building them right now and they will be available at BRS but didn’t say anything about an ETA. So then emailed BRS about an ETA. Mark at BRS said with a busy holiday schedule going on right now it looks like the probe holders won’t be available until after the new year starts. It sounded like from Kyle’s email that they will be in a limited supply. Well if the price is right I’ll snag one. My probes are always getting bumped around my sump when ever I do something in it.
C56B77AB-821E-48F5-97A2-7BABDAFEE0A6.png
Well I won't be getting this pipe probe holder I have enough plumbing problems without it. I already determined that I goofed about where I originally put my CO2 scrubber//stand for Trident. The UV sterilizer is where the scrubber needs to go so the UV has to go on the left end of the stand. That's also where the chiller goes. One of my return pumps output will split and go one way to the UV and one way to the chiller but it's no quite a manifold. It will be quite tricky to plumb it all without pipes cluttering things up. I wish I could get the chiller now plus some other things but I maxed out a couple of credit cards with this covid thing.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a YouTube video by Reefahholic that had that same valve on his scrubber, very good idea. Tricky part is getting the correct one from Amazon that’s pre-wired lol.

Also that probe holder reminds me of what we use in my manufacturing job, only difference is we use 2 small valves on either side of the probe holders in case they fail when pulling the probe out. They generally don’t and you just pull the probe right out to do maintenance or calibration. When they do fail and we forget to close the valve it can get ugly. I would consider painting that clear section or wrapping it due to potential algae growth. There’s no real need to be able to see inside that area anyways. If you are worried about sticking the probe in too far you can just get a o ring and place it on the probe where you want it to stop in the middle of the pipe.
@ddaddy2420 see my post above. Too many things to plumb into such a small space and still have it all look neat and tidy. I don't understand those guys who plumb manifolds inside their cabinets and connect to all their equipment crammed in there too.

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I won't be getting this pipe probe holder I have enough plumbing problems without it. I already determined that I goofed about where I originally put my CO2 scrubber//stand for Trident. The UV sterilizer is where the scrubber needs to go so the UV has to go on the left end of the stand. That's also where the chiller goes. One of my return pumps output will split and go one way to the UV and one way to the chiller but it's no quite a manifold. It will be quite tricky to plumb it all without pipes cluttering things up. I wish I could get the chiller now plus some other things but I maxed out a couple of credit cards with this covid
@ddaddy2420 see my post above. Too many things to plumb into such a small space and still have it all look neat and tidy. I don't understand those guys who plumb manifolds inside their cabinets and connect to all their equipment crammed in there too.
haha yea we posted right at the same time, but that’s what I was thinking. That probe holder is going to require a fairly large amount of space under the cabinet. For me and my small 90 gallon that room is far more valuable than a small section of the sump where the probes sit. But that’s just me. I do like the idea.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha yea we posted right at the same time, but that’s what I was thinking. That probe holder is going to require a fairly large amount of space under the cabinet. For me and my small 90 gallon that room is far more valuable than a small section of the sump where the probes sit. But that’s just me. I do like the idea.
@ddaddy2420 haha yeah it’s really cute but absolutely non-essential. A magnetic probe holder will do the same thing and I’m hurting for money right now. What do you think something like this would sell for?

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this on the way. This plumb job will go on the COR-20 main return line and should be a cinch compared to what the Varios return line will be like.
288AFED2-1FE9-40B7-B012-E08956F1C999.png

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The check valve got here along with some other things. It’s not necessary if the sump won’t overflow when a power outage occurs but will give me time if an overflow is possible. There are two unknowns. First I don’t know how much water will back siphon in an extended power outage. Second I don’t know the rate at which the check valve will leak DT water into the sump but I’m banking on the assumption that it will be slow enough to avert a disaster unless I’m out of town for an extended period. In the case that I’m ever out I hope to have plans to have someone on call before hand.
3D92015E-324C-4EC7-B2A6-1919BB49E38E.jpeg

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that looks fancy. I need to figure out safety precautions in mine too. But I unplugged the return pump the other day and things equalized without overflowing the sump, so that's a start. You are going next level!
I look forward to seeing your potential stocklist since you want to go all captive bred too :)

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that looks fancy. I need to figure out safety precautions in mine too. But I unplugged the return pump the other day and things equalized without overflowing the sump, so that's a start. You are going next level!
I look forward to seeing your potential stocklist since you want to go all captive bred too :)
@ScubaEthan since I don’t want water in this tank until I after I move I’ve been putting a lot of amenities into it. Oh the stocklist, I thought you were talking about a current one and not a future one. I know I want at least one dwarf angel and at least one wrasse. My two favorite groups of fish. And that’s about all I’ve got planned for now.

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I circled 2 items - what size are those? I am also installing the apex 1" flow meter and like this connection setup. One concern, will your level in your sump be higher than this flow meter or will it be submerged? I don't know that i would like having these flow meters submerged.

Attachments

• Inkedcor20_LI.jpg
    Inkedcor20_LI.jpg
    852.5 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I circled 2 items - what size are those? I am also installing the apex 1" flow meter and like this connection setup. One concern, will your level in your sump be higher than this flow meter or will it be submerged? I don't know that i would like having these flow meters submerged.
Excellent questions @ddaddy2420 . Give me some time to take some pictures and do a mock up of the return plumbing as I have it now. I will add some fittings when I connect the check valve to everything. I built this flow sensor return assemble twice minus the check valve because I didn't like the first build. And I wanted to get precise and provide room for the Apex ATK bracket and probe bracket (if I do put it in the return chamber.) I believe I have the room for water level in the sump for power outage as the water back siphons from the return pipe into the sump and keep it from flooding. When I had this tank setup before I used the stock sump which has a few (can't remember off hand) gallons less total water volume than my current Synergy Reef Systems custom designed sump. So in theory back siphoning during a power outage won't be a problem with this larger sump in place if back siphoning wasn't a problem with the smaller stock sump. Now the question of a submerged flow sensor. They should not be submerged at all. There is some kind of electronic thing inside that is sealed off from the inner wet side of the sensor that should not get wet. My flow sensor dips down about one inch into the top of the sump. However I don't think the water level will get that high but if it does I'll have to redo the plumbing. :-( Another safety feature I will build in is a anti-siphon hole the the Random Flow Generator. When the water level siphons down to the level of the hole in the display tank, air enters the plumbing and breaks the siphoning process. However this hole can easily clog up if not maintained like the check valve needs maintenance and checking, pun intended.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ddaddy2420 Fitting #1 comes from the parts that the COR pump comes with. It is the 3/4" outlet union. I used this one instead of the 1-1/4" one because it gives me more room in the return chamber with two return pumps in there. The 3/4" union is not restricted because the pump's diameter on the outlet is 3/4" if you compare visually.

#2) 3/4" Schedule 80 45° Elbow Slip x Spigot (Street)​

#3) (the white fitting. I used white schedule 40 but it comes in grey schedule 80) Schedule 80 Reducing Bushing 1” Spigot x 3/4” Slip

#4) 1"
Schedule 80 45° Elbow Slip x Spigot (Street)

Orange pipe is 3/4"

R2R.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back