Reefer 250 Build. 15 years away from the hobby but I am back

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep heard that stuff super good. I will see how everything goes over the next few weeks.
Dal,
Really appreciate you posting your build ! Just starting out in the hobby and still researching when I came across your post ! I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a RS 250 myself and your build sheet was verrry helpful. I plan to use a lot of your things, as your tank is just looking awesome. Couple of noob questions for you ....
1) I'm getting the same Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid, but I'm going with the Radion XR15's...but how are you controlling your T5's thru that Kessil controller ? Did you get that DX18 Hybrid Dimmable T5 fixture ? I thought the T5's were basically on and at 100 % all the time ? My LFS store has the same setup and he just turns his T5's on with a basic plant timer...curious how you're able to do that ?
2) Also, your splitter in your return line, is that the LocLine 3/4" Dual return nozzle, and then you're adding that VCA nozzle on each end ?

Thanks again for posting all this, wanted you to know this kind of thing is very inspirational for us guys just starting out !

Ken from Fla !

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dal,
Really appreciate you posting your build ! Just starting out in the hobby and still researching when I came across your post ! I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a RS 250 myself and your build sheet was verrry helpful. I plan to use a lot of your things, as your tank is just looking awesome. Couple of noob questions for you ....
1) I'm getting the same Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid, but I'm going with the Radion XR15's...but how are you controlling your T5's thru that Kessil controller ? Did you get that DX18 Hybrid Dimmable T5 fixture ? I thought the T5's were basically on and at 100 % all the time ? My LFS store has the same setup and he just turns his T5's on with a basic plant timer...curious how you're able to do that ?
2) Also, your splitter in your return line, is that the LocLine 3/4" Dual return nozzle, and then you're adding that VCA nozzle on each end ?

Thanks again for posting all this, wanted you to know this kind of thing is very inspirational for us guys just starting out !

Ken from Fla !

Howdy Ken,

Thanks for the reply.. Glad you are getting info from my build, that"s what this forum is about helping out. I too have learned a lot around here. My tank is running along nicely right now. Lost 2 montipora's but that was my fault.Change lighting schedule, tank cover and had a big ALK swing while on vacation. Just to much change for the very young corals. Its still very young tank and is 5 months 9 days old so long way before it really settles in. I got answers to you questions below. Keep asking away if you got more.

1: When I was putting my gear together Aquatic Life did not have the dimmable hybrid out yet. About my luck they released it 2 months later. I would spend the extra money andget the dimmable one. I my upgrade mine down the road. You will run your XR15 as your normal lighting schedule and then supplement with the T5. So for me I start the Kissell's up in the morning very low intensity then ramp them up during the day with peak for about 4 hours. The T5's come on and run for only 3 hours right now and are on during the peak with the Kissell's. Depending on what type of corals you are keeping will help determine the amount of light you throw at them. I have a Neptune Systems Apex controller so I am controlling the T5's with that. If you can afford it I would get a controller like the Apex. Kissell's are using the its own controller.

2 . The return is all from VCA no need to get any thing else. You simply pull off the current return line and snap on the VCA.. Here is a link to the one I got from them for me Reefer 250. Its is the 25mm ot 3/4. https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/red-sea-reefer-ultimate-return-line-upgrade-25mm-to-12in-rfg/ You can email them if you got more detail questions. Antonio is quick to respond even on the weekends.

I am working on cabinet for all of my gear. I am a little OCD on stuff like this. Under my tank is a mess and want to get all of the gear away for any moisture. I will be posting more about this later on. Not sure if you know but I got a little YouTube channel were I post videos nothing fancy but fun to do. So go check it out if you have not all ready

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how clear the tank is this morning. These photos are from this morning right when the Kissell's starting to ramping up. Tank is 5 months 9 days old . For the last 6+ weeks have been adding 30 ml of Algae Barn OceanMagic Phytoplankton. Staring with dry rock its so important to get the micro fauna up and OceanMagic does that for me. Phytoplankton I feel helps with the clarity of the water and glass. I am running no mechanical filter. Just skimmer, water changes every 2 weeks. Once a month I run carbon for 3 days. I only need to clean the glass 1-2 times a week. I have also added several jars of their copepods. At night the tank is teaming with life. Also have added some of their Corralline in a bottle after the cycle and the coralline is exploding across the tank..

20200105_102916.jpg
20200105_102922.jpg
20200105_102814.jpg
20190727_162921.jpg

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how clear the tank is this morning. These photos are from this morning right when the Kissell's starting to ramping up. Tank is 5 months 9 days old . For the last 6+ weeks have been adding 30 ml of Algae Barn OceanMagic Phytoplankton. Staring with dry rock its so important to get the micro fauna up and OceanMagic does that for me. Phytoplankton I feel helps with the clarity of the water and glass. I am running no mechanical filter. Just skimmer, water changes every 2 weeks. Once a month I run carbon for 3 days. I only need to clean the glass 1-2 times a week. I have also added several jars of their copepods. At night the tank is teaming with life. Also have added some of their Corralline in a bottle after the cycle and the coralline is exploding across the tank..

20200105_102916.jpg
20200105_102922.jpg
20200105_102814.jpg
20190727_162921.jpg
Thanks for all that

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all that Dal...I'm SURE i'll have a 1000 more questions ! Been researching like you did for the last few weeks, and just started on this forum, as you can see. I too am an IT guy and I have to laugh at your love of all the techie stuff...I'm the opposite, hate doing anything techie after work, don't even have a FB acct, Instagram, tweet , hashtag..all that crap dont even know! lol...I will definitely be checking out your utube stuff...thx.

Following this...

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all that Dal...I'm SURE i'll have a 1000 more questions ! Been researching like you did for the last few weeks, and just started on this forum, as you can see. I too am an IT guy and I have to laugh at your love of all the techie stuff...I'm the opposite, hate doing anything techie after work, don't even have a FB acct, Instagram, tweet , hashtag..all that crap dont even know! lol...I will definitely be checking out your utube stuff...thx.

Following this...
ps...you wanna throw some of that awesome rock you got, I wont say no....lol Nice that you saved all that ! I was gonna go with the CaribSea LifeRock...seems to be well liked among everyone here.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Following this...

I am with you on being tired the tech stuff since I do it for a living. :) I manage a team that supports 30k endpoints and 200+ servers so IT gets really old. But.... Its better when doing it for my hobby. I travel for work so the automation gives me a peace of mind.. Well sort of... :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just little update.. Got in a Battlebox from Battlecorals. Love the concept of letting Adam pick them out for you. My tank is still very young so wanted something hardy easy growing frags. Who would be better at that than Adam. Once he bagged them I had in my hands within 12 hours. Pretty amazing. All of the frags were in great shape. I got them accumulated and dipped. The frags were very clean with no bugs. I let them roll on the bottom of the tank for 3 days then mounted them up high. They have been in the tank just 7 days. Now lets see if I can keep them alive ;) Thanks to Adam @Battlecorals

20200109_101736.jpg
20200109_101743.jpg
20200109_101855.jpg
20200109_102110.jpg
20200109_102349.jpg
20200109_102524.jpg

20200109_110424.jpg
20200109_113000.jpg
20200109_135618.jpg
20200109_144639.jpg
20200109_144720.jpg
20200109_145115.jpg

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a PAR reading of my tank.. Its interesting what you learn. The light intensity is better than you think. I am running 2 Kessill 360x and 4 ATI 35w T5 over a Red Sea Reefer 250. Here in a few days I will post my readings. I am happy with the testing @Kessil

20200121_194118.jpg
20200121_195912.jpg
20200121_195847.jpg
20200121_195854.jpg

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got lots of stuff to post about the tank. PAR readings, Apex cabinet, more flow in tank, lost some corals. I will get it all organized and get posted soon. But in the mean time here is pic of Mr. Wiggles or Midas blenny. What a goofy fun fish. Will be posting more about the tank soon.

20200123_131246.jpg
20191205_141507.jpg
20200123_131240.jpg
20200123_131318.jpg

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Dal-Reef, tank is looking great brother, loving all the sticks you just added to the tank! When are you going to run the clarisea, you said you're not running mechanical filtration right now? What coralline algae in a bottle did you add? I think im going to add that helix stuff from algae barn when the time comes. I just got water in my tank yesterday and am leak testing everything now, head over to my thread and see whats been done so far, got my custom plumbing done, the clarisea installed and sump baffles modded. Got my Aquatic life floating wall mounts ordered for this weekend and will get pics up soon of when thats done.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Dal-Reef, tank is looking great brother, loving all the sticks you just added to the tank! When are you going to run the clarisea, you said you're not running mechanical filtration right now? What coralline algae in a bottle did you add? I think im going to add that helix stuff from algae barn when the time comes. I just got water in my tank yesterday and am leak testing everything now, head over to my thread and see whats been done so far, got my custom plumbing done, the clarisea installed and sump baffles modded. Got my Aquatic life floating wall mounts ordered for this weekend and will get pics up soon of when thats done.

Hey there. Your handle "MuffinMonster" sure made me laugh. :D

I am almost done with the Apex cabinet(will be posting about that soon) then will be installing the Claresea. I needed to wait to until I got the cabinet done for additional power for it. I should have it installed in a couple of weeks. I put 2 bottles of the Helix coralline in my Reefer 250. I purple and I pink. That stuff is super amazing. My tank is 5 1/2 months old and covered with in coralline. Just make sure you follow the written instructions to the letter. I mainly ran blue lighting for the first week and it help with the coralline. That is super about your build coming along and I am going to go join the watch for it. I sure would love the floating Aquatic lighting.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Need to add your build thread to your signature

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to add your build thread to your signature

Ah, i just put it in there, but apparently i cant have hyperlinks until i'm a supporting member. May have to do that soon! :)

EDIT: Ah wait, i have figured out how to link my tank build thread to my signature under my name. Thanks Dal!

Last edited:

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really enjoying following your tank progression. I feel like your tank is a great inspiration for what I am hoping my first reef tank can be!

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really enjoying following your tank progression. I feel like your tank is a great inspiration for what I am hoping my first reef tank can be!

Dude thanks so much for the kind comments. That's what R2R is about. Sharing what you learn and this build thread is what I was hopping would happen. I got a lot more post to get out here just need to get them organized... Again thanks

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who else weighs there salt when making a water change? For me it helps to insure the correct salinity every time. I use Fritz salts and keep the salt stored in a sealed bucket. When mixing the salt I drop a maxi jet and heater in a my water change bucket and pour the salt in slowly. I always let everything mix for 24-48 hrs. Fritz salt is super clear with no crude on the bottom. I then check salinity, temp, Alk & PH. Works for me. What do others do for a water change.
20200130_161155.jpg
20200130_161213.jpg
20200130_161355.jpg
20200130_161423.jpg
20200131_095050.jpg

Back