OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was basically going to this exact setup and the besta shelf from ikea. Have two questions the board you mounted your apex to do you have room behind this? Also, is the width 22" as the besa is 23 and some change I believe? Also, how long is the skimmer cord? I am going to get that same skimmer and this is the only piece of gear I have yet to purchase and not sure it will reach to the Apex. Did you have to use and extension? If so what one?

There is more than enough room behind the cabinet after I installed the mounting board. See the pick below showing the back. I bet there is 3ft or so. You can mount the board were every you like. The Red Sea skimmer power cord is pretty long. I purchased several of the cords at different lengths that way nothing is real tight. These power cords also have a flat rotating head. Check my post further up and there are a lot of links for all of the stuff I used that may be helpful.

20200126_182653.jpg

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more than enough room behind the cabinet after I installed the mounting board. See the pick below showing the back. I bet there is 3ft or so. You can mount the board were every you like. The Red Sea skimmer power cord is pretty long. I purchased several of the cords at different lengths that way nothing is real tight. These power cords also have a flat rotating head. Check my post further up and there are a lot of links for all of the stuff I used that may be helpful.

20200126_182653.jpg

Thanks for that! I’m assuming that is that back of the board? Are those hinges or mounta to mount the board

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that! I’m assuming that is that back of the board? Are those hinges or mounta to mount the board
You got correct that is the back of the mounting board. The hinges are just angle hinges that I used wood screws to mount. The cabinet is not very thin so you need to be careful

Last edited:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who else weighs there salt when making a water change? For me it helps to insure the correct salinity every time. I use Fritz salts and keep the salt stored in a sealed bucket. When mixing the salt I drop a maxi jet and heater in a my water change bucket and pour the salt in slowly. I always let everything mix for 24-48 hrs. Fritz salt is super clear with no crude on the bottom. I then check salinity, temp, Alk & PH. Works for me. What do others do for a water change.
20200130_161155.jpg
20200130_161213.jpg
20200130_161355.jpg
20200130_161423.jpg
20200131_095050.jpg

I will use weight too. That's weight on your pic is for what salinity?

I am currently building Reefer 250 as well. Check it out if you have time. It is fun and so expensive though.

I am looking for an idea to build an Apex cabinet as well. Besta Ikea is also something I am considering.

But, I just found a network cabinet below that can be access from sides and have glass door, two fans included on the top and railing on the side to attach wood panels.
What do you think? It is 30" high so it is about 4" shorter than red sea reefer stand.

another option is Sonax component audio stand

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am currently building Reefer 250 as well. Check it out if you have time. It is fun and so expensive though.

I am looking for an idea to build an Apex cabinet as well. Besta Ikea is also something I am considering.

But, I just found a network cabinet below that can be access from sides and have glass door, two fans included on the top and railing on the side to attach wood panels.
What do you think? It is 30" high so it is about 4" shorter than red sea reefer stand.

Congrats on the build. Its all part of the journey. With in my build thread you are on go to page 6 post #104. I have details on how I build my Apex cabinet with links to what I purchased. I think the IKEA cabinet would be perfect for what you are doing. The cabinet you list would work as well. Go check out my post.

Last edited:

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s nice, but not white and the besta would be cheaper

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s nice, but not white and the besta would be cheaper

It will be the same I think as right now due to pandemic Ikea does not offer pick up option in my area and I am forced to pay $55 shipping fee on top of the Besta cost. Thanks guys

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be the same I think as right now due to pandemic Ikea does not offer pick up option in my area and I am forced to pay $55 shipping fee on top of the Besta cost. Thanks guys
Your right? I added stuff to my cart and saw the 45 dollar shipping I was like are they freighting it. I will wait to order and pick up locally

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the build. Its all part of the journey. With in my build thread you are on got to page 6 post #104. I have details on how I build my Apex cabinet with links to what I purchased. I think the IKEA cabinet would be perfect for what you are doing. The cabinet you list would work as well. Go check out my post.

which cable gromet and round saw bit you used?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200126_182653.jpg

How do you keep the back accessible if you want to add more stuff? Did you not attach the back panel permanently? If not, how did you attach it so that it is secure and also still accessible without too much trouble accessing it?

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep the back accessible if you want to add more stuff? Did you not attach the back panel permanently? If not, how did you attach it so that it is secure and also still accessible without too much trouble accessing it?

The board is attached with 4 angle brackets using wood screws. You will still have access. You just need to rotate the cabinet to get access.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The board is attached with 4 angle brackets using wood screws. You will still have access. You just need to rotate the cabinet to get access.
No no I understand that. But what I was asking is about the back panel. Doesn’t it come with a back section to cover the back side? Or did you leave it open?

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no I understand that. But what I was asking is about the back panel. Doesn’t it come with a back section to cover the back side? Or did you leave it open?
ahhh I got you. I would not use it. Its very very thin and will not hold all of your gear. I got back wall from Lowes I posted about the size is and type of wood. I think on page 6

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhh I got you. I would not use it. Its very very thin and will not hold all of your gear. I got back wall from Lowes I posted about the size is and type of wood. I think on page 6

So I guess you left the back section uncovered for access

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back