Reefer 350 Plumbing - Metric to US standard

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Y'all

I need some advice on upgrading the red sea Reefer 350 Sump Valved Down Pipe.
The stock pipe is 32mm - metric size.

I jumped ahead of myself & ended up buying 1 1/4 inch pipe, Spears Gate Valve & Cepex Ball Valve.

I need to connect this 32mm pipe to my upgraded stuff.
But I can only find adapters from 32mm to 1inch US Standard.

Questions:

Is it better if I return all my plumbing stuff to get the 1 inch

Or is there a few adapter things to convert the 32mm > to 1 inch > to the 1 1/14 inch stuff I already have?

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 9.19.03 PM.png

csturgis1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to go the 1 1/4 route you would need a little piece of 1”pipe to go from the 32mm to 1” adapter to the 1” to 1 1/4” adapter. I am not aware of a 32mm to 1 1/4 adapter which would be nice.

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Y'all

I need some advice on upgrading the red sea Reefer 350 Sump Valved Down Pipe.
The stock pipe is 32mm - metric size.

I jumped ahead of myself & ended up buying 1 1/4 inch pipe, Spears Gate Valve & Cepex Ball Valve.

I need to connect this 32mm pipe to my upgraded stuff.
But I can only find adapters from 32mm to 1inch US Standard.

Questions:

Is it better if I return all my plumbing stuff to get the 1 inch

Or is there a few adapter things to convert the 32mm > to 1 inch > to the 1 1/14 inch stuff I already have?

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 9.19.03 PM.png

I am actually planning on doing the same thing. What size did you end up getting for everything i.e., Spears Gate valve and piping? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Apayson

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually planning on doing the same thing. What size did you end up getting for everything i.e., Spears Gate valve and piping? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hey there... I ended up returning all that stuff & went to 1 inch down sump plumbing....

Here's a list of everything I upgraded on this (got it all from bulk reef supply)
32mm to 1" Metric to Standard PVC Union - Slip X Slip (most important)
1 inch pipe
1 inch spears gate valve
1 inch cepex ball valve
1 inch check valve

+ I replaced the plumbing clamp to hold the upgraded down sump pipe...& I put some filler plastic behind it (I used spare parts from an air conditioner leveling arm)

I also connected a 3/4 inch wye check valve to my return pump to prevent flooding.
...not perfect, DIY haha

Plumbing advice: be sure you point the handle of the spears gate valve towards the INSIDE of your sump. The first time I did it I had the handle pointing towards the cabinet door like the stock one is but that prevented the door from closing.
Hence why I had to add the clear check valve.

& make sure you keep that stock 32mm elbow piece from my 1st post that connects your new plumping with the union adapter.

Holler with any questions
IMG-0547.jpg
353585F6-EACC-49F3-8ED9-F75F51E1CB17.JPG

Last edited:

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there... I ended up returning all that stuff & went to 1 inch down sump plumbing....

Here's a list of everything I upgraded on this (got it all from bulk reef supply)
32mm to 1" Metric to Standard PVC Union - Slip X Slip (most important)
1 inch pipe
1 inch spears gate valve
1 inch cepex ball valve
1 inch check valve

+ I replaced the plumbing clamp to hold the upgraded down sump pipe...& I put some filler plastic behind it (I used spare parts from an air conditioner leveling arm)

I also connected a 3/4 inch wye check valve to my return pump to prevent flooding.
...not perfect, DIY haha

Plumbing advice: be sure you point the handle of the spears gate valve towards the INSIDE of your sump. The first time I did it I had then handle pointing towards the cabinet door like the stock one is but that prevented the door from closing.
Hence why I had to add the clear check valve.

& make sure you keep that stock 32mm elbow piece from my 1st post that connects your new plumping with the union adapter.

Holler with any questions
IMG-0547.jpg
353585F6-EACC-49F3-8ED9-F75F51E1CB17.JPG

Thank you question why did you go with 1 inch?

OP
OP
Apayson

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you question why did you go with 1 inch?
Someone else in this thread recommended that size...

But the 32mm to 1inch union converter is also the only size for the red sea stock plumbing available on bulk reef supply

Double check what your stock plumbing size is!

I have the red sea reefer 350 G1 V3...that has 32mm plumbing

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32mm is equal to 1.25984252” Could you have used Plumbers Sand-cloth, and and cut the 32mm down or filled it in with Epoxy, depending on whether it’s an internal or external fitting. Also you aren’t dealing with a lot of pressure.

OP
OP
Apayson

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I assume it is so much better than the stock valve?
I'm happy with it! I would do it again.

I heard that over the years the stock pipe gets really annoying to clean & causes that gurgling sound.
These upgrades make it easier for fine tuning of the water level & even the little arrows saying which direction to open or close the valve is helpful.

This video on youtube convinced me to do it but you still need to get the US conversion stuff...the guy in that video is in the UK & has access to metric plumbing

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is Christy’s Red Hot Blue Glue that will Fill the Gap Between 32mm Socket to 1-1/4” PVC Pipe. I can’t find the exact Epoxy PVC Pipe Repair, we used on 4” and above PVC Fitting, when we had leaks on Cooling Tower Fittings that were glued. Found it, it’s Loctite Marine Epoxy. If you use this let it set for Two Hours if used on pressure Applications. Also mark one of the Caps, so you don’t mix them up, or you’ll never get them back off the Nozzles.

Last edited:

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is Christy’s Red Hot Blue Glue that will Fill the Gap Between 32mm Socket to 1-1/4” PVC Pipe. I can’t find the exact Epoxy PVC Pipe Repair, we used on 4” and above PVC Fitting, when we had leaks on Cooling Tower Fittings that were glued. Found it, it’s Loctite Marine Epoxy. If you use this let it set for Two Hours if used on pressure Applications. Also mark one of the Caps, so you don’t mix them up, or you’ll never get them back off the Nozzles.
There are many folks who have done so with 1inch with no issues from my research.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back