OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the reefbrites happen to add the pop in color you were looking for?

I will have to say that when my 8 bulbs are running, the pop isn’t really there at all. It would be really hard to tell. When my fixture only has two t5 bulbs running, I definitely see a pop. But the reason I really fell in love with them, is the pop I get at night when they’re running just by themselves.

So would I buy them as a must have, definitely not. Would I recommend them if you have he extra money for sure.

My only wonder is the Reef Brite lumi light that is a 1/3 of the cost just as good for my wants. So maybe for someone that may be worth considering too. I only went with the xho because someone in the area had them.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally don't like the look of bare bottom, but how your rock is spread out, it looks nice! How do you feel the wrasse do without the sand?

It’s funny you say you don’t like the BB look. 5 plus years ago when I started, I use to look at bare bottom tanks and think to myself “BUT WHY!?!?!?” But due to the Dino’s, I decided to remove them and never looked back. Things just got easier for me.

The wrasse was the only worry I had when I went BB. Overall he is doing fantastic. At night when I come to see the tank he is just sleeping on his side like a baby. I would say they adjust to as I know a good amount of people who have them in BB. I wouldn’t recommend them in like a B.B. frag tank but in a display where there is hiding places and rocks all over, its fine.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny you say you don’t like the BB look. 5 plus years ago when I started, I use to look at bare bottom tanks and think to myself “BUT WHY!?!?!?” But due to the Dino’s, I decided to remove them and never looked back. Things just got easier for me.

I'v also grown to love the BB look, but went that direction initially for maintenance. But bare bottom doesn't have to look like glass. My glass is now mostly purple (hope it stays), and some people select a black or white starboard base. The black phantom bottom on the Reef Savvy is beautiful to my eye.

Really like your 350, it has a completely different aspect ratio than the cube Nano,170,250 and looks really good.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was total accident that I snapped the photo hence why that wasn’t as clear as some of the other photos.

The foxface really is a neat fish. The only thing is mine is a Monti cap eater :eek::eek::eek:

Yikes, that's a shame he eats those monti caps. Mine is the biggest in the tank and wouldn't you know... the most skittish. He's a model citizen though and doesn't pick at any coral. He's one of my favorites.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'v also grown to love the BB look, but went that direction initially for maintenance. But bare bottom doesn't have to look like glass. My glass is now mostly purple (hope it stays), and some people select a black or white starboard base. The black phantom bottom on the Reef Savvy is beautiful to my eye.

Really like your 350, it has a completely different aspect ratio than the cube Nano,170,250 and looks really good.

Thank you! That’s true that you say that. The glass was visible but now it covered coraline and fill algae. I will always be a fan of sand, it just happens to be that I am a supporter of BB too.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, that's a shame he eats those monti caps. Mine is the biggest in the tank and wouldn't you know... the most skittish. He's a model citizen though and doesn't pick at any coral. He's one of my favorites.

It’s a blessing in disguise to be honest. He picks it at which actually keeps in check. Otherwise it would grow to big and I never really have anyone to give these frags to as my aquarium stores around me don’t take things for credit and all my buddies are wondering how to get rid of frags of Monti as well haha.

My only worry is if he goes after my acro. If that happens, goodbye he goes.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a blessing in disguise to be honest. He picks it at which actually keeps in check. Otherwise it would grow to big and I never really have anyone to give these frags to as my aquarium stores around me don’t take things for credit and all my buddies are wondering how to get rid of frags of Monti as well haha.

My only worry is if he goes after my acro. If that happens, goodbye he goes.

I wouldn't mind if mine started knocking out some of my encrusting montis... I can already tell that the mystic sunset is going to become a problem soon. I'm hoping the acros nearby will win the battle otherwise, I'm going to have to figure out some methods to kill back the encrusting monti. I was thinking epoxy over it when it gets nearer to the acros.

keithdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great - very nice thread.
Colors are fabulous and growth is very good. Not sure why you are asking for feedback :)
What stands out most to me are your INCREDIBLE photos.

I have some prime canon lenses and a new Full Frame Canon EOS. No macro lens. I turn off my pumps, dial my Kessil to more white and struggle to find settings that look realistic without any processing.

How do you get such nice COLOR. not too blue/not just white.

PLEASE . . . will you share you Canon camera settings . . . .

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mind if mine started knocking out some of my encrusting montis... I can already tell that the mystic sunset is going to become a problem soon. I'm hoping the acros nearby will win the battle otherwise, I'm going to have to figure out some methods to kill back the encrusting monti. I was thinking epoxy over it when it gets nearer to the acros.

That’s the one reason I don’t like encrusting montis. But yeah epoxy is pretty good choice. Always try and get a frag though unless you definitely don’t want it haha. Goodluck!

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great - very nice thread.
Colors are fabulous and growth is very good. Not sure why you are asking for feedback :)
What stands out most to me are your INCREDIBLE photos.

I have some prime canon lenses and a new Full Frame Canon EOS. No macro lens. I turn off my pumps, dial my Kessil to more white and struggle to find settings that look realistic without any processing.

How do you get such nice COLOR. not too blue/not just white.

PLEASE . . . will you share you Canon camera settings . . . .

Thank you thank you for all your nice compliments. I will definitely post up my canon settings when I get back from work. They vary here and there but I will post it up in efforts that it helps you out!;)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just read through your thread and what a beautiful tank you have!

And the difference in photography since you went from iPhone to proper Macro lense is quiet stunning.

Infact when I’ve done writing this I’m going to get my Cannon Digital SLR out and charge the battery! And then look into lenses !

Simply stunning.......

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just read through your thread and what a beautiful tank you have!

And the difference in photography since you went from iPhone to proper Macro lense is quiet stunning.

Infact when I’ve done writing this I’m going to get my Cannon Digital SLR out and charge the battery! And then look into lenses !

Simply stunning.......

Thank you for all the compliments !!! I do agree that having a dslr changes everything. But more than that, you need to learn how to use it in the manual mode. Making sure you understand how to adjust kelvin, iso, aperture, shutter speed and making sure you shoot in raw. It takes a while to get a hand of and I’m definitely one who still isn’t that great at photography. Takes a ton of practice but a lot of great threads on here to learn from. I still need to post some of the settings I’ve used for certain shots. Good luck!!!

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As requested @keithdoc I hope this helps you as well as anyone else getting started with taking photos using a dslr.

Some of my camera equipment I use as well as the canon settings used during.

I posted an image of the canon screen with the settings being used for the photo and what the photo ended up turning out like.

Few tips:

-ISO is always 200 for me when I’m taking pictures.

-kelvin setting is set to 10k

-shooting in raw

-glass is cleaned an hour or so prior

-curtains closed so there is no indirect light

-tri pod is always used

-return and wave pumps are all off so there isn’t to much debris floating around

-being as close to the glass as possible to avoid glare

My equipment:
5E2B3717-0EFF-4D35-BCA0-1F43D20F3E05.jpeg
21BCAF1B-3850-40C0-949B-174819BC24B6.jpeg

Settings/finished image on the computer:

FYI: the image on the canon screen shows up pretty blue but that isn’t actually the representation. It’s lighter but through the iPhone it comes out more blue.

B28E18E4-985F-46D4-8FD6-32A6B25BBFDB.jpeg
56C53F78-587B-4AF3-AA65-80F4FA6009F0.jpeg
C8C1BB21-5B66-4CFB-B391-0060E54AFACA.jpeg
0F935934-FBE0-4CEE-B26C-D0B5D9317BAF.jpeg
E4120E3E-17CF-4BDF-887F-2DC35583795E.jpeg
0F1E681D-9365-476C-B416-502908A95562.jpeg

Last edited:

keithdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the bomb!!!!! THANK YOU!!!

I have similar setup with 6D mk2, tripod, etc.
I had Kelvin way too low, and ISO too high.

Will make the switch to RAW and give it a try.

Assume that is a 100mm Macro and 50mm Prime?

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the bomb!!!!! THANK YOU!!!

I have similar setup with 6D mk2, tripod, etc.
I had Kelvin way too low, and ISO too high.

Will make the switch to RAW and give it a try.

Assume that is a 100mm Macro and 50mm Prime?

Thank you thank you!! I’m honestly just happy to help! You have a wonderful setup! So I can’t wait to see some photos! Raw gives you more ability when it comes to producing higher quality photos as well as many other great things.

Yes, it’s 100mm is and just a 50mm. Both amazing. The image stabilizer is an amazing feature in the case you ever get the 100mm.

Back