Reefer 425XL vs 525XL with--- 2 ?'s

IrishB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question 1. -Looking at RS 425xl vs 525xl and not sure which way to go? Space is not a concern. Brand new to this hobby. Want to make sure that I do not go too big and it is not to hard to maintain?
Question 2. - Might have to move the tank in 18 months. Is that going to be a concern?

Appreciate the advice.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question 1. -Looking at RS 425xl vs 525xl and not sure which way to go? Space is not a concern. Brand new to this hobby. Want to make sure that I do not go too big and it is not to hard to maintain?
Question 2. - Might have to move the tank in 18 months. Is that going to be a concern?

Appreciate the advice.
I have a Red Sea 650 peninsula. I always say go with a bigger size if you have the space and can afford it.

How far are you moving? there’s lots of people who have successfully moved tanks. On the other hand, many people moving a long distance just sell their stuff and buy fresh. I have seen people drive across the country to pick up tanks. Do some reading. Develop a plan. And you should be good.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go bigger if you can! But the move is going to be a problem. It's one thing moving a dry tank but once you have any substantial livestock moving becomes near impossible. Way to heavy to move with water and if you have glued down coral to your rock then there isn't a great way of moving those once you drain the tank (especially if said rock is an arch or won't fit inside a 5G bucket). Most people just get new builds for that exact reason.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go bigger if you can! But the move is going to be a problem. It's one thing moving a dry tank but once you have any substantial livestock moving becomes near impossible. Way to heavy to move with water and if you have glued down coral to your rock then there isn't a great way of moving those once you drain the tank (especially if said rock is an arch or won't fit inside a 5G bucket). Most people just get new builds for that exact reason.
If you are FOWLR it's not a big deal moving, they'll be fine I'm buckets for a little unless you have like a shark or something huge. But most coral won't survive the move

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in California and I’m not rich enough to own, so I went with the 425. If I owned my own house I’d absolutely go MUCH bigger.

OP
OP
I

IrishB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 650 peninsula. I always say go with a bigger size if you have the space and can afford it.

How far are you moving? there’s lots of people who have successfully moved tanks. On the other hand, many people moving a long distance just sell their stuff and buy fresh. I have seen people drive across the country to pick up tanks. Do some reading. Develop a plan. And you should be good.
Thanks for the response- we are moving 10 miles away.

OP
OP
I

IrishB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 other question - even being new to salt water tanks is there a big difference in maintenance between a 425 and 525?
Thanks again-

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how much would that be?
Thanks - still learning.
10-20% change, not a huge difference and honestly the larger the tank the less frequent you need to change. You'll need an RODI with that large of a tank though and most likely a dedicated mixing station. Too much volume to buy and tap waters a no no

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 425 simply because it was - in my opinion - easier to light. I suppose watch the BRS video on the Radion G5 Pro and think about the amount of data they are providing. I still had to use a PAR meter to dial it in but I was able to be confident in my purchase.

Both of these tanks are 24” deep, so you still get a lot of space in the 4’ tank.

I would hate to move a system of that size 18 months in…. You may consider a smaller system, like the waterbox cube, and moving everything into the 425 when you move.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO bigger is easier more room to goof up !
Seriously.
Moving 10 miles is not bad but in 18 months it will just start looking perfect and your going to have to take it down and disturb the whole eco system. But if your like me I would still do it lol but it is a pain in the butt

Back