Reefer 525xl - looking at UV sterilizer options

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea reefer 525xl.....Its only been up for a little over a month, so I'm not in a hurry - but I'm looking at UV sterilizer options for the future. I have a couple of questions:

1). Which UV sterilizer would I get the most bang for the buck...and what size? Which pump?

2). Anyone one have a similar size tank - and could show me ways that you installed it? I'm thinking above the fuge...but can't really visualize what that might look like.

I'm open to all advice....suggestions.....

TIA

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea reefer 525xl.....Its only been up for a little over a month, so I'm not in a hurry - but I'm looking at UV sterilizer options for the future. I have a couple of questions:

1). Which UV sterilizer would I get the most bang for the buck...and what size? Which pump?

2). Anyone one have a similar size tank - and could show me ways that you installed it? I'm thinking above the fuge...but can't really visualize what that might look like.

I'm open to all advice....suggestions.....

TIA

I'm running this one on my 525xl. Appears to be doing fine. Have it hooked to a Sicce 2.0. *shrug*

mike321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 watt aqua Uv sterilizer for sale if interested

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 525 is a total water volume of 139g.

a 25w UV is right at the suggested limit for that size tank. I always lean to the next size up if I’m hitting the upper limit of an item. If it where me, I would go to the 40w. It will give you lots of wiggle room.

FWIW, I run a 40w on my 625. I feed it with a separate pump from my return side. And it exits direct into the main tank with a hang on the tank return line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running this one on my 525xl. Appears to be doing fine. Have it hooked to a Sicce 2.0. *shrug*

Do you have pictures of how you have it set up?

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 525 is a total water volume of 139g.

a 25w UV is right at the suggested limit for that size tank. I always lean to the next size up if I’m hitting the upper limit of an item. If it where me, I would go to the 40w. It will give you lots of wiggle room.

FWIW, I run a 40w on my 625. I feed it with a separate pump from my return side. And it exits direct into the main tank with a hang on the tank return line.
What brand would you recommend? Do you have pics of your set up? No worries if you don't....just trying to envision where It will go in my crowded sump.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back