Reefer Essentials

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are absolute essentials you would recommend to a new reefer?

I have a gamut of new testing gadgets, test kits, cleaning tools, etc. but I know there are things I should have that I just haven't realized yet.

What tools/equipment do you find have made your life a whole lot easier?
What bottles of stuff are absolute musts to have on hand?
Are there specific medications that might be critical to address problems quickly that would be better to have in my cabinet rather than having to wait for their arrival in a panic situation?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water and salt thats it. Pretty much any other answer people will just come with their examples of a perfect reef without ever needing those things :)

However....essentials for me besides water,salt, basic equip.....ro/di, po4 test, no3 test, kh test, refractometer, skimmer, coral dip, qt tank, tweezers, magnifying glass, tds meter.

Eventually things like dosing medium(kalk, 2-part,etc often needed). That means more test kits also.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are absolute essentials you would recommend to a new reefer?

I have a gamut of new testing gadgets, test kits, cleaning tools, etc. but I know there are things I should have that I just haven't realized yet.

What tools/equipment do you find have made your life a whole lot easier?
What bottles of stuff are absolute musts to have on hand?
Are there specific medications that might be critical to address problems quickly that would be better to have in my cabinet rather than having to wait for their arrival in a panic situation?
In terms of essentials (especially in the cabinet), I would say salt, enough to at least make up 100% of the water in the tank, in case that is necessary for some reason. Refractometer to measure salinity of course.

A heater and replacement pump is probably good too, in case one stops working. Those seem to be pretty important to make sure the tank is still heated and filtered. Like, lighting is important too, but not *as* essential.

Otherwise yeah maybe medications.

OP
OP
KeMiKiLL

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of essentials (especially in the cabinet), I would say salt, enough to at least make up 100% of the water in the tank, in case that is necessary for some reason. Refractometer to measure salinity of course.

A heater and replacement pump is probably good too, in case one stops working. Those seem to be pretty important to make sure the tank is still heated and filtered. Like, lighting is important too, but not *as* essential.

Otherwise yeah maybe medications.
I'm in Canada and was told that some medications are harder to get here but could be critical in saving the tank. Any ideas what I should grab now in case it's needed later.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Canada and was told that some medications are harder to get here but could be critical in saving the tank. Any ideas what I should grab now in case it's needed later.
Unfortunately I have no recommendations. I used to know way back when I worked for a LFS, but that was so long ago. I never needed to use any medication for any of my aquariums as I either stopped adding live stock after a time, once everything has 'settled in', or added quarantined live stock so never ended up with any diseases. Apologies, I can't be of help here specifically.

OP
OP
KeMiKiLL

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have no recommendations. I used to know way back when I worked for a LFS, but that was so long ago. I never needed to use any medication for any of my aquariums as I either stopped adding live stock after a time, once everything has 'settled in', or added quarantined live stock so never ended up with any diseases. Apologies, I can't be of help here specifically.
No problem. That makes sense. If I'm extra careful and follow a solid quarantine protocol, incidents could be nearly all eliminated. :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back