Reefer xl200 - Image heavy tomfoolery

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, some back story. I am an aquarium enthusiast, I have had one in my house since I was 1 with almost no breaks. But unfortunately most have been freshwater. If feel like I’ve progressed to a point in fresh where I have two options. Convert my house into a dish breeding operation to cope with the amount of species I am buying, or tone it back and focus on something else for a bit.
Now I am not new to saltwater. I set up my first salt tank (De rimmed 10 gallon) in September of 2018 and about six months later upgraded to a Nuvo 20. Due to a lot of factors the tank fell into neglect, and a vacation for 2019 thanksgiving finally killed it. All coral and fish dead. I was a bit devastated despite being very lazy, and took a brief hiatus from saltwater.
On that same vacation I got a job offer from my lfs. Working there Allowed me to gain tons of knowledge and a decent sum of money burning a hole in my pocket. I was up to 8 freshwater tanks and hadn’t considered saltwater for a hot minute up until a couple months ago, when the store received a Red Sea reefer xl300 that I had to build. The build quality was spectacular, absolutely blew me away. And one thing I loved was the fact That it had a glass sump. If working at a fish store has taught me anything It is that acrylic scratches like nothing else and is annoying to work with to say the least. But enough of that. I had to get my hands on a Red Sea tank
Fast forward to today. After hours of planning at research as well as getting opinions from people at my job. I have now left imagination land and started making purchases.
As for the tank. I needed something small enough to move as I am going to college in a year. But big enough to have a sump and be a little stable. It's was originally going To be a reefer 170 black, But our distributor has been out of stock of those for a bit. So I decided to pull the trigger on a xl200 just today. This will arrive in almost exactly a week and I have already waited to long.
The goal for this system is an sps dominant tank with a diy bonsai structure in the middle. Chalices and montis on the bare bottom. And a high end lps Rock. I currently have around 30 pounds of dry rock (some of the old stuff harvested out of the ocean. But it was left outside after a rank downgrade and all died) in a bleach cure.
As for a formal equipment list this is what I have so far.
- AI hydra 64hd Black
3C820268-09F2-4A3D-9CC2-9BE26D0ADC4C.jpeg

- ReefOctopus 110-Int
- ReefOctopus 6in WasCollector
image.jpg

- Lifegaurd quiet one return pump
- x2 150w Aqueon Pro Heaters
- A bunch of nano circualtion pumps to clear off the bard botto

Equipment ordered and paid for but not yet received
- Red Sea Reefer xl200 Black
- x2 AI nero 5’s
- Brightwell biobrick that is curing in a friends tank for instant cycle

Planned equipment
- Aquaticlife t5 hybrid fixture 24 in black
- GHL 2.1 dosing pump
As you can see by my equipment list I am going for a system that requires only a moderate amount of matinence to keep up. And is virtually completely app controlled so I can really have a stable high tech reef even while I’m at school or on vacation. I did consider an aquarium controller for a bit but decided against that for the time being. Perhaps if I can make a few bucks from trimming the tank later on I will add the ghl. But for now the individual equipment is generally all controllable anyways.
If you’ve gotten this far into my essay I congratulate you. But here comes the good part. Planned fish and coral stocking. There are a few restrictions for my fish
1: They cannot max out under 2 inches. I absolutely love my gobies and barnacle blennies but these little nano fish are not in the cards due to horror stories of the Nero 5 meat grinders and my unwillingness to buy an anemone guard.
2: No sand fish. I don’t like sand in a reef tank. Period. And not even how much I love leopard wrasses will change my mind.
3: I will not be running a lid. I know how much you guys will disagree with me here. But I feel confident in my decision to not deface my tank due to the fact I work at and lfs that does not use lids on ANY of our tanks and the short list of jumpers that have resulted from it, these are hawk fish, six lines wrasses, Royal grammas, and fire fish. There have been no accounts of fairy wrasses, blennys, gobies, or any other kind of fish numbing from us or our customers. So onto the Fish list in order of fist to be added to last
3x Disbar Anthias
1x Pink Streak Wrasse
1x Black Comb-tooth blenny
1x African Flameback or Flame angel
1x Naokos or Ruby Longfin Wrasse

it’s not the craziest fish list you’ve ever seen but includes all my favorite fish we get into the store. And some we don’t.
I did touch on coral a while back and my plans for stocking but I realized how long this post has dragged out already and don’t want to bore you guys with specifics. Instead I will leave you with a teaser pic from my friends tank (the one who has my bioblock as well) and a coral he has on hold for me. Hope you guys will enjoy this build as Much as I am while it progresses. But for now, here’s a wild Aussie gold torch with green centers ;)
EB94BAB5-363F-48F4-A43F-B9A3DAFFA9F2.jpeg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a great plan and a nice list of equipment, just need to receive the tank!

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for holding out on y’all but I’ve been busy! After discovering the tank would not fit in my car and waiting several hours for someone to bring me my truck. I got the tank home! There was some minor damage to the boxes from shipping but the tank arrived in spectacular condition.
2BC11BA2-DF59-4BA5-9C7F-C47368F4753B.jpeg

As I already had all the equipment.
AA0F815F-8B96-4F88-ADDC-A43E7FC59160.jpeg

I decided why not get the tank ready for water. But I didn’t quite fill it up yet. I had to provide the crazy scape I promised y’all.
6CDC9779-130A-4812-B270-838AF65C8ECC.jpeg

not the best image, but this is the happiest I’ve been with a scape. Fresh or salt. There is one issue though. I used silicone to attach rocks together and after 48 hours it still hasn't fully cured. Did I make a mistake using silicone on my rock? I will be very sad if I have to rip this all down because of my adhesive choice.
But enough of that sad stuff. Heres a shot with everything so far.
575F10D3-BCDC-4E5B-AF08-B21D82909B66.jpeg

My tank should have a little bit of water in it real soon though!

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to get the tank full and added my cycled Brightwell bio brick as well as 100 gallons worth of fritz turbo start. First day numbers were
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate 1
Phos 0.05
Alk 11.2
Tested again two days later and numbers were ammonia 0
Nitrate 3
Phos 0.05
Alk 11
Needless to say I was happy that the nitrogen cycle was on its way. But am concerned by the large quantities of phosphate with little nitrate present. The small difference in alk didn’t bother me to much. I decided to wait the weekend until I added fish or coral. Unfortunately on the 4th there was fireworks in my house when my skimmer went wild and sprayed the power strip. Luckily the breaker tripped and crisis was adverted. The only thing harmed was the cord to my AI hydra. But that was replaced today. And the light went on with no issues. Needles to say the power strip is outside the tank sand and an electrical box is in the planning stages.
but onto the good news! I fell in love with a fish at my jobthis past week and finally decided to take him home with me.
the first inhabitant is a lone Parapercis schauinslandii, a highly underrated and super pretty fish. I promise there will be a picture dump when he decides to greet me!

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i remember the day i got my 170 delivered, i felt like a kid again, the only thing i would probably recommend is for you to get another nero ai whenever you can. my tank is a tiny smaller than yours, but i have one on each back side of the tank, to create enough flow.

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i remember the day i got my 170 delivered, i felt like a kid again, the only thing i would probably recommend is for you to get another nero ai whenever you can. my tank is a tiny smaller than yours, but i have one on each back side of the tank, to create enough flow.
Definitely in the plans! I am also considering running some small gyre pumps to keep the bottom truly clean. And then throw in some urchins to keep a super crisp black look. Absolutely love the neros tho! Thanks for tuning in!

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture time!!!
D8503E2F-FD8E-404F-A204-D3900E8406FC.jpeg

Rasta Zoanthids doing an open. I’ll give em one more day or so to fully open before I start getting worried

D20527EE-EB4D-4313-BF73-D0E8BB9EED0B.jpeg

The leader of my CUC, a rare pink/blue pencil urchin named Unicron. Him and the astrea snails are destroying the diatoms!

EA84CDE1-BDDE-4B04-87F6-2A933E44EA6B.jpeg

Rango being a turd. He eats like a champ and is always out. Until I pull out a camera or mess with The Iight settings for my phone. There will be a good picture of him one day

3FAD105D-A7B3-4CCE-8F41-98DE6C60862C.jpeg

FTS. the scape looks way better with some water on it! And those clothes are mysis. Real easy to feed and rango loves it. But the tank looks good!

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
impulsive. That is one word often used to describe me. I often shrug it off or refute this claim. But today I accept the title. As you may know I work at a fish store, so we get in a lot of fish. A lot of really cool, pretty, and quite adorable fish that should not go in a small tank. Add that with the fact I’m having a diatom issue. (Except when I have only blue lights on ;) ) and you get a very impulsive decision to temporarily adopt a 1.5 inch disjardini sailfin tang. Everyone meet the newest member of the crew. Dante
EA477618-DB4E-41D3-9A19-B5565E261A5F.jpeg

Dante made it through the stores quarantine and I knew I had to take him. I mean. Look how cute he is. Now a disclaimer. When Dante reaches 4 inches or so it is very likely he will get traded in for a long term fish. But shipping is weird right now so I thought I take home a placeholder Algea eating fish until I can get some crazy stuff.
Other updates: rangois way less afraid of me now. He comes up to the front of the tank when I get home to beg for food. And then darts in and out of his choice of three holes the rest of the day. Here he is looking at me like I murder ex his family.
656AEE76-BDE3-4DE4-AFF5-356F96CCB207.jpeg

Also the zoas are doing well. Stretching a bit for light but I’m gonna start cranking it once I’m past the new tank faze and into acro world. But the colors are already looking 100 times better than when I first got them.
877971FC-C2E7-4D26-9DCA-38DBB3E0F4BD.jpeg

overall rank is progressing very fast. I attribute that to the amount of biodiversity I initially added. I mean I already have sponges in the sump!!! Hopefully in the next couple months or so I will get the parameters stable enough to keep acros. Also got the mini fridge coming for the cabinet build so stay tuned!!! (Spoiler: automatic phyto+food dosing may be in the cards)

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change last night and conducted some tests.
alk: 12. I’m definitely changing my salt mix to one that mixes lower.I thought I could get away with IO but since I’m doing a low nutrient tank I want my alk low too.
ammonia 0
phos 0.1
Nitrate 5
I would really like my phos to be lower. Any higher than it is now I will run a little Gfo in the reactor in adding here soon.
everything tested fine but cal and mg were a little high along with alk. I’m gonna try some lps soon to see how stony corals do

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates updates updates.
Some bad news fish side. Due to my lack of research and caution the sea perch (rango) turned into carpet Jerky. Which sucks, Because I liked him a lot and it is always heartbreaking losing a fish. And I started feeling bad about the sailfin. So I rehomed him to a 240. A royal gramma that only comes out of his whole to eat is currently the sole inhabitant.
Other than my multitude of fish mistakes the tank is running smoothly. Most of the Coral Is showing visible growth and eating very well. And no crazy algea issues or diseases have sprung up. Perhaps it’s time to start stocking coral in full force...
But enough talk! Picture time!!!!
54A0DAB3-138A-4BEA-86B3-0E34C03DA9B7.jpeg

some yellow Favia

E50F2060-4797-4BCC-B47F-4FB32599FE3D.jpeg

budding acan garden

CFE4CC65-D73B-489E-B51F-99819D2587D8.jpeg

Rasta!

1A927B0B-1126-4EFD-AE96-3175ADD542CA.jpeg

And finally a fts (ignore the glare and the diatoms)

hope y’all have a great weekend and thanks for tuning in!

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sir, can you measure the usable space inside the aquarium for me? Ie side to side inside the glass, front to back (from overflow to front glass)? Thank you.

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I’ve updated! Things are going all right. Fish now include 2 Springeri damsels and one rolands damsel along with the illusive gramma.I’ve been adding corals and even have a few acropora which are doing well! Only issues have been brown hair algea (which only grows on the glass so not to bad) and alk consumption outpacing my water change schedule! Enough talk though! Have some iPhone coral pics
13C9A276-5D95-4DF3-B884-874BE86A0575.jpeg

FTS to start you off
DDAB1837-0C7C-4C38-8119-3F9484C1963B.jpeg

pretty acan from WWC

F9F9846E-6E5E-4274-8938-159961824D2C.jpeg

favorite acro in the tank. Don’t know lineage or anything just like how it looks

5F2A367C-376C-4236-ADDF-582DD8669E27.jpeg

Yellow favia growing pretty well

83DF4DDA-D80A-4CD4-A41A-E914AAE7C168.jpeg

Some montipora on the monti side of the scape

33F0E370-4F7F-4590-8AD9-C84182FBC1D5.jpeg

Current favorite in the tank. Don’t know what is called but closest I can find is Apple Jacks favia.

that’s it for now! Tune in whenever I get the motivation to whip out the fancy camera for some pics that don’t look like they were taken by a 4 year old iPhone

Attachments

• 51EE4197-875E-4DA5-91E1-CCE37DA32162.jpeg
    51EE4197-875E-4DA5-91E1-CCE37DA32162.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is looking really good
Glad you think so! I will be happy once I get rid of that brown hair. But other than that I think it’s doing pretty well
That acan is a stunner! Nice rockwork too!
Yeah for sure! I saw a little bit of yellow in one of the bargain bin acans when I visited WWC so I jumped on it. Turned out pretty well I think. The scape could be better. I didn’t plan enough places to mount corals but I do like how it looks.

glad y’all are liking the tank! Should be some more pics before Christmas

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was a bargain bin acan then you are very lucky indeed. It is definitely a looker!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back