Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on NO3 and PO4:

NO3 is around 20ppm (Nyos) and PO4 was still .06ppm (Hanna) on last check. Side note, I can’t get the Nyos PO4 to register anything. Based on Tropic Marin’s carbon dosing schedule, I went with Bacto balance and started slow. I’m dosing .5 ml daily and have not seen any decrease in NO3. I’ll keep that dose for a couple of weeks with periodic checks to see where we’re at.

Finally got the skimmer broken in and it’s working well. It was continually overflowing like 3 weeks but once I put fish in the system it settled down.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the rest of the fish added a couple of weeks ago I guess and everyone is doing ok. There’s some aggression from the coral beauty on the wrasse. The wrasse can’t even go in the cave, which I’m not cool with. Mirror not working so far. The coral beauty’s days may be numbered.
4978A88A-D73E-47AE-8E4B-2CA2E135FA7D.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a temporary gravity ATO set up since we will be going out of town for a couple of days. I have 6-7 gallons in an old brewing bucket so that will relieve me of twice-a-day RODI additions. This will also hold me until I get the mixing station up and running.

3705E286-7B91-42FC-9A6A-17A80FAEC480.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my saltwater mixing station. I had originally planned on using a couple of blue barrels but found these tanks locally. They’ll be much easier to deal with since they’re already ported. I have all the plumbing ready to go so as soon as I can build a stand for the tanks. It will be downhill from there
6D6F3F7B-D979-4B80-BDB1-663B7FC6B28E.jpeg

Hardy_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build, I'm definitely following along and might pick your brain for some Cade peninsula ideas. I just set up a 1500 peninsula. I noticed yours has the 90° elbows on the return, somehow mine came with the return nozzles present on the regular reef systems.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my lights mounted with some aluminum extrusion. Turns out I passed by the 8020 factory for a year going back and forth to work and always wondered what 8020 was lol. Now I know!

For lights I went with some Reefi Unos that I found locally. Overall I’m happy with the mount. I have no idea what kind of PARs I’ll get at this height but I can make adjustments in the railing.

In other news, one of my Watanabei Angels died today in hypo QT. Not sure what happened but I’ll be looking for another one. This hurts for sure.

3B81B63B-744C-478D-8505-D9531A2F46F3.jpeg
BD3BDAC7-EE09-43C8-A2E3-28DAFD4F9982.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t updated in a while. Everything has been ok, but I wouldn’t say awesome.

Fairy wrasse died a while back, and I lost my blue hippo while we were away in Europe. Not sure what happened. After I get rid of my Kole tang, I’m done with tangs.

I’m dealing with a little cyano after my nutrients bottomed out. I’m working on keeping them up.

I haven’t plumbed my UV yet but I am dosing H2O2 daily so that seems to be keeping algae and possibly protozoans at bay. I’m also dosing AFR and NP Bacto balance.

And I just purchased two Radion XR15 Pros. I’ll likely add a third when my LFS gets more in. The Reefi Unos I’m sure are great lights but I just can’t get over the web based controllability. I never can figure out how to get the settings I want. So they’ll be going up for sale soon.

I finally ordered another Watanabei Angel, so I’m hoping one of them will turn to male in the future.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t updated in a while. Everything has been ok, but I wouldn’t say awesome.

Fairy wrasse died a while back, and I lost my blue hippo while we were away in Europe. Not sure what happened. After I get rid of my Kole tang, I’m done with tangs.

I’m dealing with a little cyano after my nutrients bottomed out. I’m working on keeping them up.

I haven’t plumbed my UV yet but I am dosing H2O2 daily so that seems to be keeping algae and possibly protozoans at bay. I’m also dosing AFR and NP Bacto balance.

And I just purchased two Radion XR15 Pros. I’ll likely add a third when my LFS gets more in. The Reefi Unos I’m sure are great lights but I just can’t get over the web based controllability. I never can figure out how to get the settings I want. So they’ll be going up for sale soon.

I finally ordered another Watanabei Angel, so I’m hoping one of them will turn to male in the future.
There's ups and downs in reefing mate, keep going and i'm sure it will get better! :) Lost my blue hippo as well in a similar tank to yours (Cade 1200) but i still have my purple and tomini who are doing well.

I run mine with 3 x Radion XR15 Pro G6 (with two blades to come).

Your tank looks great!

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's ups and downs in reefing mate, keep going and i'm sure it will get better! :) Lost my blue hippo as well in a similar tank to yours (Cade 1200) but i still have my purple and tomini who are doing well.

I run mine with 3 x Radion XR15 Pro G6 (with two blades to come).

Your tank looks great!
What kind of PAR readings are you seeing at the top? With the two I’m only getting 210-220. And that’s at 100% if I’m doing it right. (I’m not sure what point intensity means) I thought it would be more. The lights are 8.5 inches above the surface. I’ll move them down more and retest but I’m thinking I might need that third XR15

Alternatively, I have an extra Kessil A360x that I’ll try first to see how that changes things.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What kind of PAR readings are you seeing at the top? With the two I’m only getting 210-220. And that’s at 100% if I’m doing it right. (I’m not sure what point intensity means) I thought it would be more. The lights are 8.5 inches above the surface. I’ll move them down more and retest but I’m thinking I might need that third XR15

Alternatively, I have an extra Kessil A360x that I’ll try first to see how that changes things.
Definitely add the a360x

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back