tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the tiles on a little nano I had and eventually took them out because I got a load of detritus between them.
Not sure what you could do to fix it

Thats what I thought would happen. When BB first became a big thing we used custom cut cutting boards (starboard) on the bottom of our tanks. Eventually detritus would build up and reek all sorts of havoc.

People started to silicone the starboard in place so that nothing could get underneath it. That worked much better.

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I thought would happen. When BB first became a big thing we used custom cut cutting boards (starboard) on the bottom of our tanks. Eventually detritus would build up and reek all sorts of havoc.

People started to silicone the starboard in place so that nothing could get underneath it. That worked much better.

That makes sense. What about just gluing sand to the bottom of the tank or to a piece of acrylic that is the exact shape of the bottom of your tank.?

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be fine as long as you siliconed the edges to the tank.

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the tiles on a little nano I had and eventually took them out because I got a load of detritus between them.
Not sure what you could do to fix it

One of the SPS dominant tanks conditions is the high and random currents, same ones that will help you to avoid detritus accumulations, in my personal experience i have MP-40's and during the 24hrs cycle they are three times in nutrients transport mode approx 2hours each time just to move the detritus and send them to the sump. Main reason we don't use sand, cause it will be a mess every time the sandstorm all over the tank.

Another solution for detritus even better is to seal in between tiles with silicon, so there's no space for accumulations and with the high currents and water agitation from two wave makers really low or close to the bottom everything will end in the filter socks at sump or skimmer. My 0.02!!! [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the SPS dominant tanks conditions is the high and random currents, same ones that will help you to avoid detritus accumulations, in my personal experience i have MP-40's and during the 24hrs cycle they are three times in nutrients transport mode approx 2hours each time just to move the detritus and send them to the sump. Main reason we don't use sand, cause it will be a mess every time the sandstorm all over the tank.

Another solution for detritus even better is to seal in between tiles with silicon, so there's no space for accumulations and with the high currents and water agitation from two wave makers really low or close to the bottom everything will end in the filter socks at sump or skimmer. My 0.02!!! [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]

What happens in nutrient transport mode? I'm not familiar with VorTechs

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
885980d2a37a032a4ff24c1469c525e3.jpg
998e3e57df2717ae04146b7fe21832a3.jpg
4d3b8fa0bd14ba330ff9a6c56ba08e51.jpg
workin on the scape, whatcha think so far!?

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tip of the shelf, fell apart and that's when I called it quits and took these pics. Lol so it's not exactly how it'll be but you get the idea :)

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice scape. Any stocking plans yet? Can’t wait till u start cycling and adding fish and coral. This build should be even better than ur nano and your nano was amazing

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice scape. Any stocking plans yet? Can’t wait till u start cycling and adding fish and coral. This build should be even better than ur nano and your nano was amazing

Thanks for the compliments, keep watching the nano, it ain't gone yet, just bough 5 more pieces!

I'm not real huge on fish so I'll let my wife pick out what she likes, she fell in love with the blue-green bird wrasse so after some research we may get one and then rehome it when it gets too big. But as far as coral goes, it'll definitely be SPS dominated, with a colorful acan/zoa garden.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let me just praise BRS real quick. I've been going back and forth on buying my dry rock online for months now! I knew I wanted Tonga branch but really the only place that had it was Bulk Reef Supply. But it's scary buying rock online, I mean, you can't really choose your pieces, you're basically paying top dollar and you really don't know what you're gonna get, it's scary! However, I put my trust in the crew at BRS and a very small amount of info on what I was trying to create and the dims of my tank, I bought 20 lbs of complex multi branch Tonga and 10 lbs of simple multi branch Tonga and then waited for it to arrive, anxiously. I picked it up today and whoa! I opened the box and it was like every piece I pulled out was a show piece, everything was unique and had so much character, and BRS was let's just say,very generous! So @randyBRS, please extend my thanks to the whole team, I'm very appreciative, you guys did not disappoint and my dream build just got a lot better!
796d3ddc54d35742b3aa4616d5c610fe.jpg
4b33ef6408cf1fc8f5823ca849de1a74.jpg
db82d2d91db2e543f1c4cfa02fb1eca4.jpg

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely digging the scape! Wish I did something along these lines but I guess the next tank will have something along those lines. Can't wait to see it all grown out!

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely digging the scape! Wish I did something along these lines but I guess the next tank will have something along those lines. Can't wait to see it all grown out!

Thanks! Emarco 400 cement comes in today so the final draft will be today, hopefully I can remember how I had it. Because of the floating shelf I'll have to do one piece at a time, but the stuff sets up in 20 minutes so maybe I'll get it in the tank today!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back