ReeferReefer's Nuvo 30l

Anthony Danta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the return pump that came with the tank secondhand. I am considering just replacing it if it is going to be noisy. I dont think the Sicce 2 will fit so I am not sure what pump to upgrade to. Any advice on what return pump to get would be appreciated.

Maybe the Sicce 1.5 would work? Not sure if that is enough flow or not though.

i know in my 40 the sicce2.0 i had to take the guard and flow adjuster off get the pump in and them reassemble in the chamber. i have seen people run 2 smaller pumps instead of 1 large pump

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know in my 40 the sicce2.0 i had to take the guard and flow adjuster off get the pump in and them reassemble in the chamber. i have seen people run 2 smaller pumps instead of 1 large pump
2 Sicce 1.5s would probably work but not the most cost effective option. I think I will get the tank set up and see how quiet it is. I am picking up a MP10QD this afternoon so I should have enough flows for nems and softies.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club! Comparing my maintenance to my brothers 65 I found it's more frequent but much easier so that's huge for me.

I just started collecting parts for a 34 DT frag tank to grow our corals in.

I was hesitant with the mp10 because of the cost but it seems like everyone uses it. I'm fine with a 30 dollar jabao that I may have to replace once in a while.

I always thought the 350 were fuge lights ?

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club! Comparing my maintenance to my brothers 65 I found it's more frequent but much easier so that's huge for me.

I just started collecting parts for a 34 DT frag tank to grow our corals in.

I was hesitant with the mp10 because of the cost but it seems like everyone uses it. I'm fine with a 30 dollar jabao that I may have to replace once in a while.

I always thought the 350 were fuge lights ?

Yeah, I know that I will have to keep up on my water changes when compared to my 90g but I should be able to do them with a bucket instead of a trash can.

After my last Jebao failed I decided to spend a bit more. I am using a Icecap 3k on my 90g but its way too big for the new tank. Pretty much all my equipment from the 90g is too big actually. I am replacing my Reef Octopus BH 2000 skimmer with an Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 (RO is too tall for the tank). Not sure if I am going to bring my reactor over either (TLF Phosban).

The A350 is a reef light. The H350 is a fuge/horticulture light. The A350 is an older light but the life span on LEDs is pretty good.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know that I will have to keep up on my water changes when compared to my 90g but I should be able to do them with a bucket instead of a trash can.

After my last Jebao failed I decided to spend a bit more. I am using a Icecap 3k on my 90g but its way too big for the new tank. Pretty much all my equipment from the 90g is too big actually. I am replacing my Reef Octopus BH 2000 skimmer with an Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 (RO is too tall for the tank). Not sure if I am going to bring my reactor over either (TLF Phosban).

The A350 is a reef light. The H350 is a fuge/horticulture light.
I've had incredible success with the tunze 9001

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at maybe getting an ice cap 1k for my 30L. I think dimension wise it should just fit on the side horizontally. Even the smallest maxspect is an inch or two bigger than that and this doesn't fit horizontally on the side panel... So that's not an option.

IGROZOAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the return pump that came with the tank secondhand. I am considering just replacing it if it is going to be noisy. I dont think the Sicce 2 will fit so I am not sure what pump to upgrade to. Any advice on what return pump to get would be appreciated.

Maybe the Sicce 1.5 would work? Not sure if that is enough flow or not though.

I have a 30L also. I’m running the sicce 1.5 with a mp10QD. It’s more than enough flow honestly. My mp10 is pretty much dialed down to 2.
7ded29688c193046541bde708fa6690b.jpg

Tanks been running for 8 months. But it’s a great little tank and if U set it up right it’s pretty much low maintenance. Good luck.

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30L also. I’m running the sicce 1.5 with a mp10QD. It’s more than enough flow honestly. My mp10 is pretty much dialed down to 2.

Tanks been running for 8 months. But it’s a great little tank and if U set it up right it’s pretty much low maintenance. Good luck.
Gorgeous tank! Looks like you're running barebottom? Do you have anything on the bottom to help hold those frag plugs or are they sitting on the bottom?

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah good to know. I bought my tank second hand so I assumed that mine was already "older" [emoji28]

How do you run your sicce? Do you find you have to dial the flow back?

I wonder if the smallest sicce SDC pump would fit in there...
Ask BRS answered my question and said that the Sicce syncra SDC 6.0 would fit... DC controllable pump with 530-1450 gph, wifi controllable, built in programs... $290... If money was no object...

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What an amazing tank! This is serious inspiration for me!

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask BRS answered my question and said that the Sicce syncra SDC 6.0 would fit... DC controllable pump with 530-1450 gph, wifi controllable, built in programs... $290... If money was no object...

Not the most cost effective option, thats for sure.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up my Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 and MP10QDw. The skimmer is about 6 months old. All and all it was a pretty good deal. All of the equipment on this tank is second hand actually.

It looks like I will be able to fit the skimmer into chamber 4, allowing me to run mechanical filtration in chamber 5. I might use the intank filter floss holder and then run a bag of Seachem Matrix under that.

f1040ff071c0d528dbda90474571a482.jpg
620ce4112c329cbc5d81354a813e183a.jpg
efe92c4dc401e5ced7320af71dba571d.jpg
9825169beb1ce743357c7dcf87f0df26.jpg

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff m8

I'm struggling so hard to pull the trigger on my return pump for my 34 frag tank. Just tough being bought Apex jr and classic for the two and 2 kessil 160's funds are DRAINED... Should have waited another month before starting second tank lol

Curious to know how the hob works I assume you're looking at a LARGE bioload ?

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at maybe getting an ice cap 1k for my 30L. I think dimension wise it should just fit on the side horizontally. Even the smallest maxspect is an inch or two bigger than that and this doesn't fit horizontally on the side panel... So that's not an option.

I have the ice cap 1k in my Nuvo 30L. Fits great and works great.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ice cap 1k in my Nuvo 30L. Fits great and works great.
I honestly would have gone with the 1k if I hadn't gotten a good offer on the MP10. I have had a good experience with my 3k although it is a noisy pump. The flow pattern is amazing. I'd love to one on each side of the tank and have them go back and forth like BRS did.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff m8

I'm struggling so hard to pull the trigger on my return pump for my 34 frag tank. Just tough being bought Apex jr and classic for the two and 2 kessil 160's funds are DRAINED... Should have waited another month before starting second tank lol

Curious to know how the hob works I assume you're looking at a LARGE bioload ?
The Aquamax is very similar in design to the Reef Octopus BH-2000 that I run on my 90g.

It was this HOB or the Tunze 9004. From all the reviews comparing them, it seems the Aquamax pulled out more.

I am only planning on 4 small fish right now but I like having the extra head room. I'm hoping to make this a low maintenance tank and I figured a bigger skimmer would give me more breathing room when it comes to missing a WC here or there.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now its just the waiting game for my leveling mat and goosenecks to get here!

I cleaned the skimmer and mp10 last night, so don't mind how dirty the skimmer neck is in the pics. The guy I bought it from still had it running when I picked it up yesterday.

The only thing I have not decided on is what I am going to do with my bare bottom. Do I want to put ABS down?

Do I want to saw the bottome of some rocks to make them more stable?

Should I just stack my rocks or epoxy them? I have never used epoxy before. Or should I drill the rocks and use acrylic rods? What is going to be safe and easy?

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now its just the waiting game for my leveling mat and goosenecks to get here!

I cleaned the skimmer and mp10 last night, so don't mind how dirty the skimmer neck is in the pics. The guy I bought it from still had it running when I picked it up yesterday.

The only thing I have not decided on is what I am going to do with my bare bottom. Do I want to put ABS down?

Do I want to saw the bottome of some rocks to make them more stable?

Should I just stack my rocks or epoxy them? I have never used epoxy before. Or should I drill the rocks and use acrylic rods? What is going to be safe and easy?
I used some of the putty type stuff back in the day when I was last in the hobby 12 years ago. It was ok to work with back then, and maybe they've made it better since.

Drilling and acrylic rods? I've heard about that approach but just by virtue of what it entails, I would surmise it is not easy and probably a heck of a lot of work.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back