Reefers can brew the world's best coffee !!!

How do you brew your coffee?

• Total voters

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blow away guests to my house, not with my DT, but my outstanding coffee !!!
I use RODI water and an AeroPress coffee maker, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroPress.

This is just so versatile. I can do an expresso shot, filtered coffee, play with any parameters like I see fit, why - reminds me so much of reefing !!!

Any other coffee fanatics? Have you tried using RODI water? If not, try it ASAP!

• I use the inverted method - I like strong black coffee - sweetened with real Maple sirup
  • No more wasted coffee
  • Can be used for tea also

Some videos !!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blow away guests to my house, not with my DT, but my outstanding coffee !!!
I use RODI water and an AeroPress coffee maker, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroPress.

This is just so versatile. I can do an expresso shot, filtered coffee, play with any parameters like I see fit, why - reminds me so much of reefing !!!

Any other coffee fanatics? Have you tried using RODI water? If not, try it ASAP!

• I use the inverted method - I like strong black coffee - sweetened with real Maple sirup
  • No more wasted coffee
  • Can be used for tea also

Some videos !!!

I drink quite a bit of coffee, I'll have to try this! :) But I thought I read somewhere you wern't suppose to drink RO/DI water, RO water sure, but not DI...cannot remember why

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keurig... with RO (Not DI) water. My RO filter feeds a 5g pressure tank under the sink, with a drinking water faucet. Feeds the fridge door water and icemaker, as well.

No need to drink DI water... you'll just burn up DI resin. RO water flows back through the DI cart on it's way to my sump closet for ATO and water changes.

I know Keurig isn't the best coffee maker, but since I'm the only person here that drinks coffee, it doesn't make much sense for me to brew a pot. It's quick and easy... that's all I'm really looking for.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major coffee fanatic, thanks for the new adventures in Java!

but not DI...cannot remember why

A Dr told us not to microwave baby bottles because the nutrients lose their energy, ions? Sounds like a question for Dr. Randy

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to use DI in coffee? I thought the reason RO/DI was unsafe to drink was it's too pure. Obviously adding coffee with increase the TDS :)

DI resign isn't a problem for me. The well I'm on doesn't exhaust a cartridge in an entire year of making 20-30 gallons a week. I actually just changed it for the sake of changing it even though it still reads 0 tds and there was still blue in the resign.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major coffee fanatic, thanks for the new adventures in Java!

A Dr told us not to microwave baby bottles because the nutrients lose their energy, ions? Sounds like a question for Dr. Randy
@Randy Holmes-Farley Any help on the subject, please :)

OP
OP
Mark Derail

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO (DI or no DI) is not "safe" for water drinking, as the water molecules will want to pair-up with other non-water molecules. Essentially leaching it out of your saliva / mouth. For brushing / rinsing your teeth, no harm done. But drinking a half gallon, the leaching will be in you - not a good idea.
Much like soda-pop is not good for you (in large quantities).

However, mixed with something - tea / coffee / concentrated frozen juice - all those molecules pair up with something else. So flavour really pops !!
I even did pasta once (fresh pasta) - boiled with sea salt - but couldn't taste the difference versus tap.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, people tend to run there microwave on one setting High:). you over cook anything it will kill it;)

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I thought I read somewhere you wern't suppose to drink RO/DI water, RO water sure, but not DI...cannot remember why

I think the danger in drinking RO/DI water is because it is too pure, there are no minerals in the water. Apparently, eventually you can get things like headaches, ringing in the ears, not sure if that leads to anything more serious with time.

I've also heard this- not sure how it works.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with drinking RO water... as long as you're getting your minerals somewhere else. Heck, those little half liter plastic bottles people drink all the time are filtered... some of them even with RO systems. Many ocean front cities where fresh water is hard to come by use RO systems to produce the cities water supply.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i drink out of my rodi blue line sometimes lol it taste GREAT !
WILD MAN!
sneak.jpg

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take my coffee extremely serious so I go the extra distance and roast my own coffee. This way I control how light or dark I want my roast to be. I start with green beans from Sweet Maria's. (https://www.sweetmarias.com/) The advantage here is getting the best beans from around the world and from a group of folks who are even more serious about coffee than me. Just take a look at the Full Review of a particular coffee and you'll understand. Also, Sweet Maria's deals in Fair Trade whenever possible.

Currently I use the Fresh Roast SR500 for my roasting. It takes about 7-10 minutes to roast and cool a 4 oz. roast. A side benefit is that the garage smells wonderful for several hours after roasting.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it one step further and roast my own coffee. It's the only hobby I have that has actually saved me money. Super top shelf green coffee can be had for a fraction of what the boutique roasters charge for a pound.

I've used RO water in the past but needed to add some minerals back to it so the coffee wasn't so flat. Stripped water really isn't ideal for coffee making. Now I just run my water through a carbon block to remove the chlorine taste.

For my morning brew I use a Technivorm drip machine that I have had for 15 years and still looks and works like new. They are built like a tank in Holland and worth the high price tag. In the afternoon I like to hand extract some elixir with the ROK.
IMG_20170815_121446.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back