Reefers can brew the world's best coffee !!!

How do you brew your coffee?

• Total voters

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about roasting. Thinking about the popcorn popper method. Anyone do this? Is it worth a try?
I got started with a Whirly Pop. It served me well however it does create a fair bit of smoke so you need a good vent over your stove.

OP
OP
Mark Derail

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Coffee extraction needs three components: alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Their concentraion and ratios are important as well. Nearly everyone is better off carbon filtering their tap water as opposed to using RO water.

This thread is pretty cool. https://www.home-barista.com/knockb...ter-treatment-for-coffee-espresso-t41636.html

8B87969E-1B0B-4801-84AA-0AB59F8FCC5C.png

Thanks for this. I was thinking or re-mineralizing my RODI water, that link shows how to do it. Perhaps a bit of bicarbonate + sea salt (fleur de sel). Should bring interesting results.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. I was thinking or re-mineralizing my RODI water, that link shows how to do it. Perhaps a bit of bicarbonate + sea salt (fleur de sel). Should bring interesting results.
I used to use this stuff but found baking soda to work equally well.
032905.jpg

OP
OP
Mark Derail

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made my first pot of RO/DI coffee. It definitely does taste different, I'm not really sure if better is the right word, but its certainly not worse. My wife says it's much smoother and I would agree. I should have made a pot with tap water first to compare. To be fair we have a really cheap wal mart coffee maker, but really high quality coffee that is roasted locally. We are drinking the last of the christmas blend which was roasted on November 20th but there have been times where we buy it in the store and it's stamped roasted the day before and the same week is quite common.

I think your coffee maker might have calcium deposits in the heater section, and the RO water is getting a bit harder. Which would be a good thing.
The Keurig + RO versus the Aeorpress, the taste here is quite different.
I'm looking in making re-mineralized water.

MBX5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal water for me but like others I roast my own beans. Behmor roaster was one of the few hobby buys thats saving me money

OP
OP
Mark Derail

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to laugh when I read this. We are concerned about DI? How much tank water have we ingested over the years? Lol

LOL also, tank water takes awhile to get out of your mouth after a siphon, and while the siphon is going on, you're stuck there holding a tube, you can't rinse.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One needs carbonates, Ca and Mg. Sodium won't do you any good, in fact will hurt. Leave out the sea salt from this attempt, please.

I used to use this stuff but found baking soda to work equally well.
032905.jpg

Baking soda works well. But it lacks the necessary Ca and Mg to pull all of the flavors from the coffee. Much of this information comes from a book that is about to get an exciting revision early this year!
https://waterforcoffeebook.com/

I think your coffee maker might have calcium deposits in the heater section, and the RO water is getting a bit harder. Which would be a good thing.
The Keurig + RO versus the Aeorpress, the taste here is quite different.
I'm looking in making re-mineralized water.

Plus one to the RODI pulling scaling from the boiler.

So here is a basic summary. Start with RO water, and build from there for optimum performance. I run my RO water through calcium carbonate (aragonite) for the Ca and alkalinity. At saturation this is about enough alkalinity for proper extraction. Then I add some Ca, Mg or both in the form of chloride salts. Chlorides are less corrosive than the sulfate salts. I wish there were a way to do so without the chlorides or sulfates as they are a serious corrosion risk for metal in espresso machines, drip machines, etc.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal water for me but like others I roast my own beans. Behmor roaster was one of the few hobby buys thats saving me money
It's a slippery slope! I used a behmor to save much, much money versus buying real specialty coffee already roasted. Then I decided I needed a real drum roaster, and I erased all of my savings! I'm still trying to "pay it off" versus buying roasted coffee. It's been over two years. But I have much more control over my roasts, and I can roast things like Geisha, and high altitude ethiopians much better than the Behmor could have.

OP
OP
Mark Derail

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drink tea and use rodi.

This reminds me of a thing I saw on shark tank.

https://thirdwavewater.com

Add the mineral packet to rodi or distilled water to get good coffee. What’s funny is that they didn’t take the deal because buying a gallon of distilled water and mixing the packet was “just to much to ask of the consumer.” That’s hilarious, try mixing 100 gallons of saltwater haha!

And the shark tank said no, lol, I just checked their website. Reasonable price, I will try if my "homemade" recipe doesn't work.

What's cool is that I have ALL the Salifert test kits, so I can try making water "in the zone".

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I never knew so many took their coffee so seriously.....fancy makers, grinders, etc. I'm pretty boring, and just like my regular coffee maker with whatever ground coffee is on sale. However, the title of this post provided a deja vu moment for me.....World's Best Cup of Coffee.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just brewed a whole pot of Costa Rica 90 point special this morning with ro water and had to dump the whole thing. If you mix aquarium water for water changes in the same container you store ro, make sure the water doesn't taste salty before you use it.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One needs carbonates, Ca and Mg. Sodium won't do you any good, in fact will hurt. Leave out the sea salt from this attempt, please.

Baking soda works well. But it lacks the necessary Ca and Mg to pull all of the flavors from the coffee. Much of this information comes from a book that is about to get an exciting revision early this year!
https://waterforcoffeebook.com/

Plus one to the RODI pulling scaling from the boiler.

So here is a basic summary. Start with RO water, and build from there for optimum performance. I run my RO water through calcium carbonate (aragonite) for the Ca and alkalinity. At saturation this is about enough alkalinity for proper extraction. Then I add some Ca, Mg or both in the form of chloride salts. Chlorides are less corrosive than the sulfate salts. I wish there were a way to do so without the chlorides or sulfates as they are a serious corrosion risk for metal in espresso machines, drip machines, etc.

I stopped messing with RO when I realized that my 500ppm tap water actually made an excellent cup. A simple Britta filter is all I use now.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my coffee stuff is on the way. What am I using this scale for? Measuring the weight of the grounds or am I measuring something else for a pour over?

Also have we decided using RODI water is not the best idea lol?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard good things of using https://thirdwavewater.com/ if you are using RODI water.

Just picked myself up a french press, any recommendations on a good not crazy expensive grinder? I was considering https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHDFHUU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2EPN08Z0FPLG4

The capresso has a conical burr grinder. For $100 it's your best bet. Just make sure and clean it once a month and it should last a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...rr+grinder&dpPl=1&dpID=4126EX4J7TL&ref=plSrch

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright y'all! I've been going a bit nuts. Got the pour over kettle, Hario Pour over setup, Capresso Grinder! Now I also ordered a French Press, and the Baraletti(sp?) stove top espresso maker.

Its all arriving today and tomorrow. Now to learn how to use all this stuff. Also nabbed a packet of the Thirdwave water stuff to try it out with my RODI water.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back