Reefers Doing Good!! Tell us some good stuff so we can celebrate and maybe even get inspired!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing I've learned is that the reefing community is one of the best groups of people around! In a recent thread, some of you shared ideas about what you would be willing to do for a Red Sea system, and I was encouraged to see a lot of you talking about doing really cool stuff around your community. Some of you mentioned starting reef tanks for schools, some mentioned other types of volunteering in your community, others mentioned taking steps for reef conservation or other environmental work, still others talked about helping new hobbyists...and I just got to thinking about all the good stuff that reefers do. So... as a way to inspire and encourage one another, let's share good stuff reefers are doing! I'd love for you to share good stuff your doing in your community (reef-related or not) and/or stuff you know others are doing.

I think that this thread could be a very encouraging thing to read about good stuff people are doing in the world right now!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In addition to river and lake clean ups, every week for the past few years I service a couple of freshwater aquariums at the local nature center. I am told that during a traditional year that approximately 4,000 kids visit the area where the aquariums are located. The recent closure have sometimes meant arranging special access, following additional rules, using 4x4 to enter alternate route, etc., but the service continued throughout.

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t personally started using the product yet but I’ve heard so many positive results from using Red Sea AB+.... can’t wait to find a location that sells the 5L so I can start watching those polyps extend!

Taylor Hahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with overgrown chaeto or macro algae and needing to Trim some down every so often, when they give it away for free it helps other reefers trying to combat a nutrient problem

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things about the reefing community that I love is the willingness to help others when they need it. Being a relatively new reefer (3 years) I have paid a lot of money (through mistakes) to learn a lot in this hobby.... but always weary to give advice because I listened to a lot of bad advice (with good intentions) when I got into this hobby, and not much I am qualified on to speak about. A couple of weeks ago an acquaintance was having so many issues with his tank that he was getting ready to break it down. I was able to take a day off of work, go to his house and troubleshoot and ultimately fix the issues he was having. It felt pretty good to give a little back to the reefing community since it has given me so much.

TK72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what is under sold quite a bit is the amount that fellow reefers are available and willing to help novices. It seems like other hobbies that I have been involved in there’s a certain level of snobbery when it comes to new folks. I have yet to experience that here

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving away frags to local reefers! Researching solutions to tank issues together!

giphy.gif

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting my tank and have bought a few corals from local reef club members. They are always helpful to share their knowledge and give me a few extra corals to help get me started.

Herndonh75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and a couple others help grocery shop for my elderly neighbor during the pandemic.
My wife and I do the same for our elderly neighbor who doesn’t have family nearby. We cook extra some nights and take her a plate.

I have also been on federal orders with the National Guard since April supporting operations during COVID. It has taken a lot of my time away from my family but I am so thankful and blessed for their support. Can’t wait for August to get here so I can return to my normal (although different now) day job and schedule.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back