Reefers Doing Good!! Tell us some good stuff so we can celebrate and maybe even get inspired!

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to give a shout out to Suncrest or Mr. Halsey. He has been an outstanding help on getting a lot more out of my Apex.

Got me straight on which cable I needed to run to have a remote module in my fishroom for ATO and AWC.

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run into a lot of elitism in my other hobbies, mostly fly-fishing but here it's a little friendlier and newbies are welcomed with open arms. I've seen forums for other things near and dear to my heart derail discussions into politics or a "I'm right, you're wrong" kind of conversation more times than I can remember. I appreciate all the reefers here and I appreciate the respect everyone has for one another. Everyone does things differently and has different opinions but that's what makes for a great discussion.
Something unrelated I like to do to help the environment around me, and my local rivers/beaches is when I go fly fishing, whether for trout or striped bass, I like to carry a small 5 gallon trash bag and try to fill it with loose garbage/line on my way back from a trip. Sadly, I typically fill the whole bag but at least I'm removing it. I like to see the reefers contributing to their communities and helping others during these tough times. You guys kick butt!

schneidergarrettt60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way that people are willing to help. I have seen multiple different local forums where hobbyists have made a rapid response team. If something was to happen like a leak or power failure or equipment breaking they have banded together to be on the response team day or night to be called upon to help a hobbyist in need to save their pets.
I also did a large research paper on the coral reef and it is said to be the pharmacy of the 20th century as this can be a great thing for medical practice and helping people in need it can also damage the reef more than it has already been. But with aquarist and hobbyist maybe we can help save the reef and introduce it back into the oceans where it once was abundant where it is now in ruins.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Daniel@R2R for this prompt. It got me thinking about all the community service work I used to do. It is a great list of volunteer work that made a difference. However, as I started to type it out, I realized it is all in the PAST tense. I am not sure I can think of a time when more people need help. And yet I am hunkered down, safe and sound, tinkering around.

Time to reassess.

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love our pets...dogs, fish, guinea pigs. My wife has gone above and beyond to take care of our dog who has bladder cancer. We love him immensely. She’s has done extensive research looking for holistic ways to lengthen his life. She has taken him to numerous doctors for different treatments. Spent hours a different vets, walks him 2-3x a day, gives him 6 pills a day, buys him the best food she can find. She has absolutely exhausted herself. We thought we were going to lose him last week but he has bounded back and seems healthy. We are truly grateful and feel blessed. We hope we can prolong his life as much as possible. I’m so proud of my wife.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I colture pods and phyto and give that out to whoever needs it (either to seed their tank or to feed their dragonettes). I also give extra tank equipment I have laying around to help local reefers in need, especially with this tough times, some would shut their tanks down without help.

Kevin Hayward

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of people and i are helping out a friend / vendor who is battling cancer wishing him a speedy recovery on facebook. he has helped so many reefers wit getting really nice corals, raffles, and fun auctions. a great reefer and a great person.

Last edited:

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I get new gear and upgrades, like a fellow posted on here earlier. I usually gift my old system to a person wanting to get in the hobby. I also help others in my community with access to my ro/di water when the need arises. (There is not a local fish store for miles around me.) I also help my elderly mother with manual labor around her house. My father and brother passed away roughly 5 years ago and she has a really rough time with it.
Another thing I do is buy aqua cultured frags to do my part in not taking wildlife from their natural habitat. I believe the world's reefs are already taxed enough without me pulling resources away from them..

mameroo2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very grateful to my brother for helping me fixing my boat flooring. He did spray foam my boat and did very great job
20200705_165527.jpg

Paulwizal23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battling Dinoflagellates. Reefers it can be done very easily. Just keep dosing MicroBacter7 or your choice of bacteria boost. And then run a UV sterilizer at night which is when Dino will plenish throughout the water column and pass though UV sterilizer. I just helped my local fish store and a fellow reefer do the same exact problem in the way explained above. Don’t give up and start all over or even worse, quit the hobby because of what people seem to think and say about Dinoflagellates. Good reefers will succeed!!

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having a new baby, i dont have much time to tinker with my tank. being hands off with my tank allows me to just enjoy it more without having to obsess in fixing every single thing that dont need fixing anyways.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very new to the Reefing community and it amazes me every day to see the amount of support provided to those in need.

I want to give a shout out to @Daniel@R2R and all the staff members and moderators for what I am sure is a never ending Hugh task of keeping up this fantastic forum and providing a place for all of us Reef hobbyists to Learn, Share and Enjoy this wonderful hobby together. There are so many helpful people on this forum this post could go on forever listing names.
The same shout out to Local clubs where we can actually meet and help others in the hobby.
I recently joined my local club and within just a few day of being active, someone needed help moving a large tank into their home. I reached out like a few others and we went and helped move the tank.

It was a great feeling to be able to help someone and feel like I was giving back as well!

mkess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to try and give my extra stuff away or sell it really cheap to help others get started.

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago when my family went on hikes every now and then, my brother and I started a tradition of picking up a huge tree branch on the side of the trail and sticking trash we found all over it. Whenever we would get to a trash can we would unload all the trash and start again with one of us carrying the huge branch and the other picking up trash. It was really fun and made quite a few passing people laugh, but it was also really sad to see how much trash was left on such beautiful trails.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For so long i engaged in this hobby alone, so finally last year decided to start looking for fellow reefers in my area, started right here on R2R, and our a social reefing club was born. Now, we have a daily ongoing chat where we support each other in and out of the hobby. Sometimes with things like tank moves and or just letting each other know whats going on around town particularly now with the pandemic and hurricane season upon us. We've all become good friends so it is nice to have a support group that extends beyond the hobby.

Stellywags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been helping a few of my planted tanks friends learn about reefs and giving advise and some seeded rock to help them start their new journey into reefing.

Island Reef 242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I go to the beach I pick up trash that has washed up or been left behind. It can be disheartening to see the amount of trash sometimes. But, almost every time I start picking up trash on the beach I inspire others and see someone else start picking up trash, that is a good feeling.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I annually volunteer for the Seattle/King County Free Health Clinic, it is a 4 day event that provides vision, dental and medical care services to all that are in need. Last year the event served over 22,000 people in our area and raised over 20 million to help the underserved of our community. It’s truly and amazing event and we will continue to support it for years to come.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back