Reefers helping other reefers: Are you thankful for the help from another reefer?

Are you thankful for the help from another reefer?

• I have one or two mentors where I get most of my aquarium advice.

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • I have a few people that I trust for aquarium advice.

Votes: 56 22.5%
  • I look to the entire reefing community for advice.

Votes: 135 54.2%
  • I figure it out all by myself.

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread below).

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

Chriscorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t talk to him much anymore but I want to say thank you to a buddy of mine that got me into saltwater and helped me get going. I probably wouldn’t be as successful as I am without his help

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I knew a lot of reefers, now not so much. I used to be a member of the Brooklyn Aquarium society and there once in a while we'd gather to swap corals and hear lectures. And most importantly I had a buddy who was just as into reefing as I was but then he got married and she ended his reefing career lol oh well...

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it weren't for the members of this forum I may not have gotten into reefing. I tried once years ago and it was a total failure. There was no internet and the only source of information was the local library and I obviously didn't read enough. Fast forward 40 years and here I am with 3 tanks all doing fairly well. Much of my success is due to the information obtained here from fellow members. If I need an answer or advice I post here and within minutes I have an answer. There are a handful of members who's advise I pay particularly close attention to but I'm thankful to everyone who takes the time to read my posts and answer or offer suggestion.

EDIT: I'm slow at times. What does #Cronies mean? When I tap on it it just shows a list of post mentioning that tag. Is it the seasoned members?

Last edited:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local LFS owner who sold me a used system, and then this and other forums - however, sad and sorry to say we just lost one of the gentlemen that I listened to and attempted to emulate in critical areas... RIP JA

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it weren't for the members of this forum I may not have gotten into reefing. I tried once years ago and it was a total failure. There was no internet and the only source of information was the local library and I obviously didn't read enough. Fast forward 40 years and here I am with 3 tanks all doing fairly well. Much of my success is due to the information obtained here from fellow members. If I need an answer or advice I post here and within minutes I have an answer. There are a handful of members who's advise I pay particularly close attention to but I'm thankful to everyone who takes the time to read my posts and answer or offer suggestion.

EDIT: I'm slow at times. What does #Cronies mean? When I tap on it it just shows a list of post mentioning that tag. Is it the seasoned members?
It's an amazing group of reefers with very knowledgeable people. It's the cronies club.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B
vetteguy53081
WVNed
RocketEngineer
Some of my favorites!
I'm on page 25 of @Paul B birthday thread and have told myself I'm going to read the entire thread before I post anymore there so I don't ask or say something that has already been mentioned. It'll probably be 499 pages by the time I catch up so I'm sure I'll remember everything I've read :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my favorites!
I'm on page 25 of @Paul B birthday thread and have told myself I'm going to read the entire thread before I post anymore there so I don't ask or say something that has already been mentioned. It'll probably be 499 pages by the time I catch up so I'm sure I'll remember everything I've read :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
buy the book.
(shameless plug for @Paul B )

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked other because I was both educated by a couple mentors but also learned from the community

I had a mentor in the early days before internet forums which equipped me with good science and maintenance practices. I was able to do very well with the knowledge I gleaned from him.
However he passed and new equipment, and lighting changed some things so I relied on reef forums, YouTube and other social media to help me wade through some of that. Many have shared their wealth of knowledge with me and my reef and I are very grateful.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The r2r community is great but the owner of my lfs is the best. I personally don’t think I’d be in the hobby if it weren’t for him. Always willing to help and not trying to sell you things you don’t need.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS (Living Reef) has been a godsend. I found them early on at a point I was getting very frustrated, and wondering why I changed from Malawis, and John turned things round for me. I’ve been educated a lot - he farms a lot of the corals he sells (he has a fab set up for such) and is happy to share a wealth of knowledge. I’ve even spent time there being shown how to frag numerous corals. I’m now able to solve a lot of my own issues but it’s great to know he’s there if needed.

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think your all good and i mean all of you, you helped me with my water problems you helped me with my corals toldme to make my own water got my lghts corrected on my tank .Just too much good things to say thank you all and have a Haooy Thanksgiving too all of you

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never personally met my mentor but he was Robert Straughn "The Father of Salt Water Fish" and he wrote "The Salt Water Aquarium in the Home" probably in the 50s.

The guy dove for everything and kept everything except corals as they were not a "thing" at that time.

But his main thing was an undergravel filter and I still use one. :D

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have a few people that come to mind when it comes to what I’ve learnt and how I do things, just a couple of them are;
SaltyT
Crabby48
Miami Reef
Paul B
And an old member, Evolved

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back