Reefers with 10+ yrs - what's the one thing that was thought to be true 10 yrs ago but is now in current times DEBUNKED?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers with 10+ yrs - what's the one thing that was thought to be true 10 yrs ago but is now in current times DEBUNKED?

For me, 10 yrs ago it was said over and over again in posts:

"White light makes the coral grow. Blue actinic light is ONLY for human eyes and ONLY makes corals 'look good'....doing little to nothing for coral growth"

Then Kessils came out and changed everything... LMBO

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 2 clowns a female and male can co exist in 1 tank.
Vacuuming a sand bed is forbidden.
All phosphates must be removed.
PC lighting is not appropriate for any SW tank.
Bacteria in bottle do work, yes they do.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For me, 10 yrs ago it was said over and over again in posts:

"White light makes the coral grow. Blue actinic light is ONLY for human eyes and ONLY makes corals 'look good'....doing little to nothing for coral growth"

Then Kessils came out and changed everything... LMBO
Who said blue actinic was only for human eyes? I have never heard that.

For me it is ULNS is the way to go. That may have been more than 10 years ago...lol.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said blue actinic was only for human eyes? I have never heard that.

For me it is ULNS is the way to go. That may have been more than 10 years ago...lol.
It was the mainstream thought on TheReefTank and ReefCentral circa 2007/8/9.

Opinions changed in a 180 degree swing when Kessil lighting became popular in 2010/11/12. Orphek soon followed.......then all the major Mfgrs broke loose with deep actinic light systems by 2014.......By 2015 Chinese Black boxes took off like wildfire on eBay

Last edited:

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the mainstream thought on TheReefTank and ReefCentral circa 2007/8/9.

Opinions changed in a 180 degree swing when Kessil lighting became popular in 2010/11/12. Orphek soon followed.......then all the major Mfgrs broke loose with deep actinic light systems by 2014.......By 2015 Chinese Black boxes took off like wildfire on eBay
Interesting. In the 90's it was well known that actinics were essential for growing corals. I started reading forums about the time LEDs started becoming popular. No wonder people thought they were better. People were giving out wrong info.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% debunked:

-when removing a sandbed, one must remove in portions to give time for live rock surfaces to take on replacement bacteria.

False.
If a given amount of live rock alone is enough surface area to handle X bioload alone, without sand, then removing sand or six extra canister filters we may have opted to run immediately doesn’t automatically make that same rock surface area lacking. If it’s not enough surface area, partial sand removal doesn’t make it gain surface area and stacking bacteria on top of bacteria doesn’t increase surface area it lowers it. rocks don't take on replacement bac from missing sand, their spaces were already full before the sand removal.

Surfaces self regulate bacterial density through actions like water shear and space competition

Removing surface area that is gross in excess of oxidation needs doesn’t leave the remaining surface area weaker.

The impact of the change is freedom to do things with your sandbed so it doesn’t kill your aquarium, without hesitation. we’re free to act now.

Work example

Last edited:

wowatracy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things that have changed from when I started 20 years ago:

No such thing as a frag, a full colony cost $30-$80

Damsels were the only way to cycle a tank

No one had a tank without a sand bed and I don't think I ever heard about anyone cleaning their sand bed because that would "disturb the good bacteria".

There was no such thing as LED lights for reefs, power compact and/or metal halide were the only way to go.

The more bio balls the better.

You had to actually carry around pictures of your tank if you wanted to show someone.

No hugely active internet forums to ask questions.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 147 60.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.2%
Back