Reefers with 10+ yrs - what's the one thing that was thought to be true 10 yrs ago but is now in current times DEBUNKED?

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ULNS approach also works (0 NO3, 0 PO4), it does work in the ocean afterall, it's just that people tend to pull only some of the building bricks from either method, and expect results from it. It's a bit more to it than just bottoming out nitrates and phosphates. Maybe that is why people are not seeing the promised results with it. Pretty much the same goes for higher nutrients, there are more to the equation than just these two blocks.

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PENN PLAX Undergravel filter is all you need for a reef tank
I ran one for years with very small water changes and only every couple months. Never had any problems but didn't keep corals then. I still think they would work for a fish only tank.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for the nitrate thing, I don't see much difference in the last 10 years.
Oh I forgot, there are much less corals for sale now and there is also much less fish diversity for sale, it is all common things. :cool:
Diversity meaning clingfish?

scrapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to say, I'm so glad we are past the days of under-gravel filters and old school wet dry filters filled with bioballs.

I was completely thrown off guard when I opened the cabinet to see a sump filled 3/4 with bioballs.. one of the best looking sps tanks I have seen in my life ran and I've been reefing for almost 20 years.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back