reefGrow Amino Ignition

perk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers! So, I started my reef tank, a 75 gallon with canister and HOB skimmer 2 years ago. A year after I had the 75g I already had the itch.....and the wall for a 150g. So I now have a 150g SCA PNP with a sump and fuge (macro is not growing well). I was fighting nasty Cyano Hair Algae and GHA from October through Dec. After numerous numerous siphon sessions/battles, every other day 5 gallon water changes, and now a maint. regiment of Vibrant my tank is pristine and parameters are square.

I have found that a clean tank is a double edged sword to get good growth so I'm looking for a supplement to get a maint. dose going. My lfs, which has never steered me wrong, recommended ReefGow Amino Ignition. But there seems to be very little literature, outside of their own website, about their products. After reviewing their ingredients and based on what the research says coral need for reliable sustainable growth they have more than most other products i.e. 11 of the 20 major supplemental Aminos.

Am I off to try this product? Is there a consensus better product? If I decide to use, what is the best dosing amount and schedule? FYI....I have no dosing system, so this needs to be sustainable manually.

Thanks in advance.....and Happy New Year!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are running a ULNS adding aminos isn't necessary. They are present in foods.

OP
OP
P

perk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are running a ULNS adding aminos isn't necessary. They are present in foods.

Thanks for the input. First, I think my tank would be considered a ULNS. I have no trace (NO3) and (PO4). At this time, I do dose Fuel once a week to provided additional nutrients that my Skimmer is also pulling.

Like I said, I think this is one of the biggest disadvantages to keeping a clean tank. From what I've read, if a reef tank is properly "balanced" and "dirty" there is almost no need to dose.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co...asked-questions-on-ultra-low-nutrient-systems

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case I would recommend putting the skimmer on a timer rather than adding amino acids.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back