ReefHacks | Aqamai KPS Wavemaker Pump Review – Why You Must Consider This Pump.

Berlibee

ReefHacks Team
View Badges
Reaction score
AQAMAI_Pump_001.jpg

Aqamai KPS Wavemaker Pump Review – Why You Must Consider This Pump.

It was only a matter of time until the realm of digital innovation reached the depths of reef tanks. From dynamic automatic water changing systems to visually stunning frag racks, our beloved hobby is finally embracing the power of high-tech capabilities.

Click Here To Continue Reading...

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Bought 2 on pre-order back when they first became available. Horrible and incorrect instructions (as are those that come with the LRM light). But individually, they great -- just wish Aqamai would actually truly make these "controllable anywhere" vs reality of only within a few feet of the units.

Ritual

View Badges
Reaction score
Bought 2 on pre-order back when they first became available. Horrible and incorrect instructions (as are those that come with the LRM light). But individually, they great -- just wish Aqamai would actually truly make these "controllable anywhere" vs reality of only within a few feet of the units.
I'm glad I read this before dropping £120 on one. I was just looking at them and thought that having an app I could hop on to simply tweak things would be useful, but needing to be in my house and within range of the unit to be able to change anything doesn't sound worth the money.

Not sure why they wouldn't just take it to the correct standard and have it connected to your home network so you could hop and do what you needed to do from anywhere in the house and not need to go through the rigmarole of connecting to its wifi AP.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm glad I read this before dropping £120 on one. I was just looking at them and thought that having an app I could hop on to simply tweak things would be useful, but needing to be in my house and within range of the unit to be able to change anything doesn't sound worth the money.

Not sure why they wouldn't just take it to the correct standard and have it connected to your home network so you could hop and do what you needed to do from anywhere in the house and not need to go through the rigmarole of connecting to its wifi AP.
To be honest, once you set up the KPS, very rarely would you be tweaking the settings... and if I were to, I would want to be in front of the tank to monitor the result of the tweaks. I think despite the mismatch between marketing and reality, they're great little pumps. The DC drive with variable speeds and thus variable flow and wave modes is very nice as well. Ultimately, it's all software so hopefully the developers will deliver what was originally envisioned.

..Just something to consider...

Ritual

View Badges
Reaction score
To be honest, once you set up the KPS, very rarely would you be tweaking the settings... and if I were to, I would want to be in front of the tank to monitor the result of the tweaks. I think despite the mismatch between marketing and reality, they're great little pumps. The DC drive with variable speeds and thus variable flow and wave modes is very nice as well. Ultimately, it's all software so hopefully the developers will deliver what was originally envisioned.

..Just something to consider...
A very fair point regarding wanting to see the results. I get once you "set and forget" it then it's actually a reasonable setup. Due to high levels of nerdery I was hoping for some kind of API I could monitor to see what the current setting was and use that on my personal dashboard. I just think it's a half finished product in that regard!

I think I still like it because of how small it is with high flow for my small tank. Definitely one I am considering for adding some flow for corals I bought recently.

OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

ReefHacks Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Once we've set the pump, we never needed to change the flow remotely.
I have the APEX on the other system, and for years I never had to change the flow remotely when I was away from home. I wouldn't worry about that.

Have a nice start of the week. ;)

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
I think I still like it because of how small it is with high flow for my small tank. Definitely one I am considering for adding some flow for corals I bought recently.
Definitely, no API...and I doubt they'd create one even when they get around to delivering a portal. :) I do notice the app getting better over time. I have the Aqamai LRM light as well... The user experience is a bit kludgy and the instructions are lacking but once you figure it out, then its actually a great light.

I am hoping Aqamai gets it to a point where you can actually tie the pumps and lights together into a system. It would be great to create environmental options or track with some weather at certain places to replicate. That would be sweet!

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
These pumps are great for nano tanks. I’ve got one in my biocube, about to add another

OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

ReefHacks Team
View Badges
Reaction score
We are using one on the 20g as well.

InnovateMarine_20.jpg

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
LOL... only one? I have 2 in my Fluval 13.5G. I like to overkill like that.

My LRM is also running on the Fluval 13.5G, case in point. Don't regret it though...it's done serious wonders for my corals, though a bit much for some of the shrooms.

OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

ReefHacks Team
View Badges
Reaction score
LOL... only one? I have 2 in my Fluval 13.5G. I like to overkill like that.

My LRM is also running on the Fluval 13.5G, case in point. Don't regret it though...it's done serious wonders for my corals, though a bit much for some of the shrooms.
Hehehe, I'm sure I could add an other one. :D

OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

ReefHacks Team
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m researching these pumps as we speak...think 2 would the adequate form a mixed reef 60gal cube? 24” all around.
Hi, I think they are too small for 60g. You should look at something else for a tank of that size. More like two MP10wQD or XF230 Gyre.

smokin'reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I had two in my 29 gallon biocube. Really liked them. I went thru a bunch of others before I got these. Never wanted the vortex is because they are not directional adjustable.

I recently broke down the biocube and will have these up in the marketplace shortly.

OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

ReefHacks Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Two in 29g sounds good indeed!

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Are the KPS modes documented anywhere ? Like what is "Smooth" mode ? How is it different than "Constant" ? Or is it more like a smooth version of "Wave" ?

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Just hoping for an aqamai nano or pico now...its just too powerful without modifying the impeller blades for my 6 uk gallon

I am sure they would sell plenty to make it financially viable in the rapidly growing small nano/ pico movement

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Just hoping for an aqamai nano or pico now...its just too powerful without modifying the impeller blades for my 6 uk gallon

I am sure they would sell plenty to make it financially viable in the rapidly growing small nano/ pico movement
They're DC pumps so you can scale it down to as low of a flow as you would like. I run one inside a 5G without issues...

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
What have you used to scale it down

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
TheCoralConnect.com
Cool Reef Corals