ReefHacks | The Hue of Health – Coralline Algae Importance, Benefits and Essential Information

Discussion in 'ReefHacks' started by Berlibee, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Berlibee

Berlibee ReefHacks Team R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Featred-Article-Coralline.jpg

The Hue of Health – Coralline Algae Importance, Benefits and Essential Information.

Is Coralline Algae Good? Helpful Information and Tips for Saltwater Tank Hobbyists.

What’s your ultimate reef tank goal? While you may hold unique desires, vibrant color and solid covering is the shared goal by most aquarists.

The quest to accomplish this goal is what began my journey into the world of algae. Unlike popular belief, not all algae is bad. In fact, there’s one species that’s actually necessary for the health and vitality of your underwater world.

Click Here to Continue Reading ...

boozeman27 and Bouncingsoul39 like this.

2. Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39 Well-Known Member

Another good one. Not only is Coraline beneficial, it's also beautiful. I'd take some natural Coraline any day over that fake painted on purple junk. :D

Yuliya and Berlibee like this.
  3. Yuliya

Yuliya Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Thanks! I couldn't agree with you more about the beauty of coralline. ;Happy

4. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

Great article!

Berlibee likes this.
  5. Berlibee

Berlibee ReefHacks Team R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Thank you! ;)

6. Kareem K

Kareem K New Member

Can anyone else vouch for the product she was pushing at the end? "Purple up"
    I am always skeptical of potential advertisements that disguise themselves as informative articles.

Yuliya likes this.
  7. Yuliya

Hi Kareem and welcome to Reef2Reef. ;) As I've said in the article PurpleUp is a good kickstarter but there are several different ways to seed the coralline algae, just skip this step if you don't trust the source of the information, no one is pushing you to use this product I've just shared with the readers what I'm using and my friends. We do a huge amount of research before giving any advice about additives or other products and everything advised was tested in our own reef tanks. Not always advertising = a trap. Sometimes clicking an advertising link help people like us to continue doing what they love and continue writing useful information for the community.

Before you ask: "No, it's not a sponsored post." ;Playful Cheers!

revhtree and Berlibee like this.
  8. DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks for the article -- I am always excited to read and learn more. I am looking to have more coralline come in to help keep GHA and other nuisance at bay

9. Yuliya

I'm sure it will help to fight the algae, Vibrant is a nice thing as well, but it's a different story! I've also noticed one thing that I didn't mention in the article. When you buy zoas and you see some coralline on the frag plug, in my opinions, it's always better to scrape it off before putting in your tank, because zoas need to adjust to the new system and only then they'll start growing and coralline will adjust much faster and will cover that plug faster as well, coralline will slow the growth of zoas, they are not so strong vs coralline as SPS corals. I'm sure many of you noticed how SPS attack coralline around them to continue encrusting, well zoas are not so aggressive. So it's better to help them and to remove it before it will complicate their life. ;)

DeepBlueSomething likes this.
  10. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Very nice article!

11. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

hi yuliya. Im going to keep this as short as possible. I had a 30 gallon reef at work for 3 years. Its mostly softies, just a couple small lps. Everything grew very well, but no coralline at all(i have lots of rock with coralline already on it) My work uses kold steril water, and not rodi. Kold steril does not remove phosphates, among other things. The tank always had a bit of hair algae, that pretty much stayed on the back glass. Well, i have taken the tank home now, and started using rodi water, and i have been changing a lot of water to get that old water out of the system. I have a ton of purple up (work bought it), but i dont want to dose. I feel it isnt needed as i do not have a lot of hard corals. I am using red sea coral pro salt, which has high levels of cal, alk, mag etc. I figure ill do 20% water changes weekly with that. For lighting, i have a 4 bulb t5 fixture. 3 ati blue plus, and 1 purple plus. Lots of blue light. Lots of flow as well. Ive only had the tank at home for a week, but its definitely getting high quality water etc now. Do you think my coralline will finally spread now that things are improving? Screenshot_20171109-202428.png

Yuliya likes this.
  12. Yuliya

Hi! It will for sure with time, but if you want to speed up the process take a small knife and scrape the coralline off from the rocks in the easily accessible spots, so scrapped particles can travel in your system. Like this, you'll help it to spread. Good luck! ;)

13. Yuliya

Thanks! ;Shamefullyembarrased

14. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

i have done this. We have a reef at work with coralline so thick on the walls, that you can peel it with your fingers. The other day i did that, crushed it up, and dumped it into my tank. I constantly look closely at my powerheads for any signs of it, as it always seems to start there first.

Yuliya likes this.