ReefHacks | The Ultimate Guide How To Successfully Grow Beautiful SPS Corals.

Discussion in 'ReefHacks' started by Berlibee, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Berlibee

Berlibee ReefHacks Team R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Build Thread Contributor

Ultimate_SPS_Guide.jpg

The Ultimate Guide How To Successfully Grow Beautiful SPS Corals

How to keep SPS corals by Mark Rosenblatt - Helpful Information and Tips to Keep Beautiful SPS Corals.

Many of us share a desire to grow beautiful, colorful corals. Acquiring and growing beautifully colored SPS corals (SPS stand for Small Polyp Stony Corals) involves a commitment in time, energy and expenditures.

SPS certainly represent one of the ultimate challenges in saltwater aquaria. Living conditions within a reef tank need to be near perfect to maximize the potential for vivid colorful coral colonies to thrive and prosper. And these SPS colonies are generally very unforgiving organisms. The reef tank environment requires the correct nutrition, lighting, flow, water chemistry and other parameters to get the best SPS colors and growth.

Click Here to Continue Reading ...

Want to share your experience with the community? Click Here.

Thank you again to Mark - @watchguy123 for sharing with us his experience and beautiful photography!
    Mark's Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/watchguys-sps-addiction-photo-intense.99363/

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Rakie, Pife, MarineDepot and 2 others like this.

2. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Good read

Berlibee likes this.
  3. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Nice read!

Berlibee likes this.
  4. Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39 Well-Known Member

I generally like it, however, there is some misinformation in the article. One example is the mention of Protein Skimmers removing N and P. They do not. They also do not remove uneaten food. Can you imagine a piece of mysis shrimp being "skimmed out"? That does not happen. Maybe with something very small like rotifers or cyclops, but you're not going to see flake, pellets, mysis and brine in your skimmer cup. There also some controversial opinion in there about mariculture SPS colonies that is debatable. IMO, under ideal conditions, MC colonies can actually be hardier than AC frags or colonies. They are grown in the ocean naturally, how could they have any better conditions than that? Try fragging a MC colony and then try fragging a captive grown colony and you will see what I'm talking about. The MC colonie's skeleton is so strong you could puncture your skin before you could snap a branch of that Acro, whereas you could frag a captive coral just by looking at it the wrong way....The article really should have been revised and proofread before going live...

5. Yuliya

Yuliya Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I'm pretty sure Mark means that skimmer removes organic waste before it has a chance to break down and rise your NO3 and PO4 levels. ;)

6. Berlibee

You've mentioned one of the most debatable topics in the history of reefing "mariculture vs aquaculture corals" it's nothing related to proofreading it's just a very sensitive subject.
    From more than 2300 words article these two points are a drop in the ocean. I think @watchguy123 did a very good job on this. :)

7. Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39 Well-Known Member

If that were the case, he wouldn't have also later mentioned that they remove organics later in the same paragraph. It's not a big deal, just confusing to those that don't know how skimmers work. No need to get defensive and try to minimize my critique by saying its a drop in the ocean. My points and concerns are valid and I am not wrong...the proofreading comment is not directed to the debate on the mari vs aqua culture. It's the errors in structure, punctuation, and grammar. Still not half as bad as some you'd read on ReefBuilders though and still a good article. Please just consider this as feedback and things to ponder for future articles and not meant to hurt anyone's feelings.

8. Berlibee

Thank you @Bouncingsoul39 we're always trying to improve our content. We'll keep an eye on it. Let me know if you would like to use our platform to share your experience with the community as well.

Tuffyyyyy likes this.
  9. Merv49

Merv49 Active Member R2R Supporter

My phosphate runs between .03-.06 cosistantly but my nitrates in my tank have never been above .25 since my tank was activated. I’ve got 18 Fish, 50 frags. Should I seek to somehow raise my nitrate level and if so, how should I go about doing it? Just one of my sps corals is what I would call brown. All others have color, not vibrant, but they have color. Any suggestions?

10. Berlibee

It's really hard to give an advice based only on the level of nutrients. If you're saying "frags" I suppose you have a pretty new tank?

11. Merv49

Merv49 Active Member R2R Supporter

Y
    Yes my tank is five months. Alk 8.7, Mag 1460, Cal 440. Tank is 200 gal.

12. Berlibee

I would drop Mag to 1350. but overall would not suggest you make any changes at this moment. 5 months is still a very new system let it adjust and balance. You can try feed fishes a little bit more and see how it will affect your corals coloration and nutrients levels.

Merv49 likes this.
  13. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

What is the reasoning for the reduction in magnesium?

14. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Oops, double post.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  15. Berlibee

it's just a personal preference Mag. at 1460 is nothing critical as well.

16. srad750c

srad750c Active Member

All sounds good except protein skimmer bit, otherwise content is good. Protein skimmers remove dissolved organics and as a result lowers NO3 and PO4 but we all should know that. Everyone just have to remember every tank is unique and require different care routine care. You should know what works for you.

17. fishbox

fishbox Well-Known Member

I apologize if this is off topic but how do I subscribe to that Reef hacks blog so I can get notifications when new articles or blogs are out?

Nvrmind I figured it out

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Berlibee likes this.