Reefi Duo Extreme vs Radion G5 Pro or Hydra 64 HD LED Lights

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help on which light I should update too. I'm currently using 2 Red Sea ReefLED 90's on my RS Reefer 425XL.
Was ready to pull the trigger on the G5 Pros ..but with all the talk about cracked covers and the Mobius app troubles I'm having second thoughts.

I happened across this thread on Reefi lights and I was impressed but I have not found any reviews from owners using them in the field.;Facepalm
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/interesting-new-led-light.640820/

Can anyone give me their experience with any of the lights pros or cons?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G5 pros are having issues in controllability (Mobius glitches), physical hardware (what seems to be a large majority of units cracking), etc. Some also encounter strange sounds- I wouldn’t suggest them until the bugs are worked out in a few months.

Philips CoralCare V2 will be really nice. They are the experts in industrial light fixtures and I think the quality will be like no other.

Reefi always has glowing reviews. Customers are always happy, and can communicate directly with the owner.

Best value right now is probably used G4 Pros, as they went way down in price. But for a new fixture, Reefi or upcoming CoralCare seem best.

It’s also worth mentioning that Neptune systems may be releasing a light fixture in the upcoming months. I just pray it’s not orange xD

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralCare V2, you state will be really nice. Am I to assume they have not been released yet?

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my ReeFi lights. I am seeing pretty good growth with my acros and my digi is growing like a weed. The owner provides incredible customer service. I had a issue with my lights that was user error and he called me minutes later. Feel free to pm if you have any questions.
Thanks for that.. you believe these are better than or equal to the G5's
What size tank and how many lights do you have on it. any pics...

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used the others but just put a Hydra 64 in to my system to supplement two 52s I have been running.

It gives me 200 PAR at the bottom of a 2 foot deep tank. If it is as water resistant at the 52s it is a winner.

The App to program them is stable and easy to use. That's my three key decision points there (PAR, Waterproof, control stability).

The problem I have had with other LED fittings is they start to show signs of water ingress after a year or two, and/or the control is flaky.

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 4 Reefi duo Extremes for my new build CDA 78x28x26. Daniel has been great to work with!
Don‘t have the tank yet but excited to see how they look over it.

What is the turnaround from order to delivery?

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used the others but just put a Hydra 64 in to my system to supplement two 52s I have been running.

It gives me 200 PAR at the bottom of a 2 foot deep tank. If it is as water resistant at the 52s it is a winner.

The App to program them is stable and easy to use. That's my three key decision points there (PAR, Waterproof, control stability).

The problem I have had with other LED fittings is they start to show signs of water ingress after a year or two, and/or the control is flaky.

You make some great points.. thanks

LDog74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered them last Thursday and Daniel let me know they are shipping today. Daniel also went the extra step & preprogramming them for me with two modes which is awesome!
I’m also in no rush for them either as my tank is still being built. But that is great customer service & fast turnaround time IMO with what is going on.
3 year warranty also with Reefi

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that.. you believe these are better than or equal to the G5's
What size tank and how many lights do you have on it. any pics...

I have three extreme fixtures over my 60x25x21 tank. I have never used Radions so I cant really compare them. But I do really love the ReeFi lights. I can dig up some pictures. I would reach out to Daniel, @danlu_gt , he is great at answering questions!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took a look at the new CoralCare V2 LED. I have major reservation about this design. It's passive cooling with very little cooling surface area and max power of 170W??? This will surely burnout within days if not hours at that power level. Hopefully, that's just a mock up images.

Hard to believe a company of that scale and experience would make a light that lasts hours!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reefi reflectors are huge imo because violet leds will blacken optical lenses.........usually this happens after the 1 year warranty most competitors offer is up so you're stuck with fixing this issue on your own.

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi reflectors are huge imo because violet leds will blacken optical lenses.........usually this happens after the 1 year warranty most competitors offer is up so you're stuck with fixing this issue on your own.
Not sure I follow ... Are you saying because Reefi has a 3 year warranty you are covered on blacken optical lenses?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, Reefi doesn't use optical lenses .....the light is spread by individual reflectors.......the UV from violet diodes will blacken plastic lenses over time.

They also do offer a better warranty which you bring up, so it is another advantage.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back