Reefi Duo Extreme vs Radion G5 Pro or Hydra 64 HD LED Lights

Petesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took a look at the new CoralCare V2 LED. I have major reservation about this design. It's passive cooling with very little cooling surface area and max power of 170W??? This will surely burnout within days if not hours at that power level. Hopefully, that's just a mock up images.

A couple issues/questions about this comment: the CoralCare V2 has been out for months now being beta tested that has been well documented on YouTube and the Philips CoralCare support group page on Facebook; I don't know a lot about electricity but 170W is less than most of the lights out there and wouldn't that mean LESS heat? Luc Vogels is the designer for the light for Philips and is a fellow reefer, I think he probably knows what he's doing or he wouldn't be working for Philips.

I was really leaning toward the Reefi light but it really bothers me when comments like this are made (not based on any actual facts) about other products on the market especially when they come from the mfg.

Petesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do not have an actual CoralCare V2 to test. However, I'm looking at picture of it directly from their website:
CoralCare V2 image

1587402805433.png

Like I said before, from the image above, you can clearly see that there's no fan for active cooling and the heatsink fins have very little surface area for just passive cooling. I've searched on YouTube and only found 2 brief video on the V2 and they're more of press video. Seems like would be a easy test to run it at full power of 170W for 2hr and measure the heatsink saturation temp and LED junction temp.

For comparison, this is a no fan CPU heatsink with dimensions of 6.1"x6.1"x5.23". With all those cooling surfaces and copper heat pipes, it still unable to keep 65W CPU below 95C:
NoFan CR80
1587410921900.png

Here's a typical Intel LGA1151 heatsink with fan that can cool CPU of 95 Watts below 95C (you can see how much active cooling surface area is required):
Intel LGA1151 Heatsink and Fan
1587411346259.png

I had no idea who designed CoralCare V2 nor do I know who Luc Vogels is. I have no beef with him. The law of thermal dynamic is the same no matter who designed it. More competition means more innovation, which is a win win for consumers. Like I said, I'm basing my reservation of their design from their stock image on their website. Maybe that's just a prototype image but if that's final production image, then I stand by what I stated above.

You can look up Cree's LED longevity test datasheet. They stated expected LED life at 85C and 105C.

When I buy anything expansive, I appreciate someone in the field to advise/voice their concerns for potential major issues so I can avoid headaches down the road. Maybe my background at Intel design microprocessor have made me more conservative in my ReeFi design on IC P N breakdown of thermal stress.

Philips CC2 uses Lumileds Luxeon C leds which have the lowest thermal resistance

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still liking your reefi duo lights? Any pics showing your coral growth. Pro’s and con’s you can share?
I'm digging up an old thread, but are those RMS mounts that are compatible with the Reefi Uno's?
Do they lean forward as the Radion owners always complained? Do you think the reefi produced mounts are better?

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm digging up an old thread, but are those RMS mounts that are compatible with the Reefi Uno's?
Do they lean forward as the Radion owners always complained? Do you think the reefi produced mounts are better?
Sorry wish I could help out but I don’t have Reefi lights with RMS mounts.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back