Reefing “NO NO” that you said “YES YES” to?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mixed reef has 2 dwarf angels, a toby puffer and a pearlscale butterfly. Almost all corals are doing just fine.

I added a mandarin to a 40g tank with a wrasse and was able to keep both fat and happy. I culture pods, but now tank is bigger so all good

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a second royal Gramma to an established one of 6 years.

20220815_201748.jpg
A group I kept together successfully.

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, my regular tank measurements were limited to salinity, pH, and temperature. Definitely not the usual set. lol

Over the years, I determined that with the methods I used, if those were OK, the tank was doing fine.

Limewater supplied calcium and alk, and the pH told me if the ATO delivery of it had run dry.

Salinity told me if the AWC or some other procedure was running amok.

Temp told me if the heaters and cooling system were functioning properly.

Everything else was ignored, except for once every few years, if something else was warranted or needed for an article, etc.

1678822776251.png
This has been pretty much my routine over the years. I only test occasionally, just because I feel like i'm being derelict in my duties in some way otherwise. Also so I have some numbers to give if anybody asks my values just so I dont have to make something up, lol. Love that blue anemone btw.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that blue anemone btw.

At one point for several years there was a spawning trio of ocellaris clown in it. That set of creatures was my favorite part of the tank. Beautiful, active, and fun to watch.

PensacolaReefKeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, my regular tank measurements were limited to salinity, pH, and temperature. Definitely not the usual set. lol

Over the years, I determined that with the methods I used, if those were OK, the tank was doing fine.

Limewater supplied calcium and alk, and the pH told me if the ATO delivery of it had run dry.

Everything else was ignored, except for once every few years, if something else was warranted or needed for an article, etc.

1678822776251.png
What's AWC?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's AWC?

Automatic Water Change. You set up a large reservoir of new salt water, and use a pump (or less desirably, two) that sends water to the tank and also removes tank water and sends the waste down a drain.

That can often be done almost continuously.

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started my 55 with tap water, and now use DI I get from the water plant. I have two sumps one with bioballs, floss pinky filter pads and return pump. Second sump has refugium and skimmer that gravity drains to first sump, and a U.V. plumbed of the return flowing into skimmer section, all drained through a HOB overflow. :astonished-face:

Now the fish police will probably get me on this but you can see the Ebili angel, brisstletooth Tang, and just the head of melanurus wrasse.

I change water when I think it's been long enough, don't regular test, but do when I get the itch. Dose kalk sometimes and don't have an ATO - however that is next on the list to get, after more coral.

:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

1678983892124.png

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1678822776251.png
Randy,

Is that huge blue tipped coral some type of Toadstool? I've never seen anything like it but would love to have it!

As for my no no. I have a Flame Angel in a mixed reef full of fleshy corals. So far it hasn't bothered anything. I'm also contemplating introducing a BTA, which I know is a bad idea but I want to give my clownfish a home.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me: Im going to get a 100gal saltwater aquarium.

Wife: no no!

Me: yes yes

BettytheDancer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listening to my LFS's advice. Thank goodness ive met better people that didnt convince me to give up.

Back