Reefing After Dark Part 2: Bioluminescence Observations & Research

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was disappointed with the new Canon and Nikons I was hoping for better video. If I was you I think I would wait for the Sony a7SIII. Hopefully they release it in the next few months. Another camera that sounds like it might be really good in low light is the new full frame Panasonic-S1. I think their saying it might be released in March 2019. Not sure if you want to wait that long?

Looking forward to Bioluminescence 3!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was disappointed with the new Canon and Nikons I was hoping for better video. If I was you I think I would wait for the Sony a7SIII. Hopefully they release it in the next few months. Another camera that sounds like it might be really good in low light is the new full frame Panasonic-S1. I think their saying it might be released in March 2019. Not sure if you want to wait that long?

Looking forward to Bioluminescence 3!!

I am definitely going to work on part 3 of this article as I get more data together. I am not sure how long I am going to wait on a new camera but I am keeping my options open for now. Last I heard on the A7SIII is that it will take time to get it ready for release so for all I know it might not come out until 2020.

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you talked to any of the Sponsors of this forum that sell “pods” about Bioluminescence? I wonder if they see it in their breeding tanks? I would be interested in hearing what they have to say.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @EdsReefOdyssey I am glad you enjoyed the article.

I did try to look at my tank with binoculars but the minimum focus distance was too far away so I was not picking up the light from the really dim flashes. It was a good idea though as it does amplify the amount of visible light that is being focused into my eyes. I have been looking at a few different cameras. The Sony A7SII and Sony A7III are at the top of the list right now. Both of these cameras have some really good low light capabilities. The A7SII has a max ISO of 409600 while the A7III has a max ISO of 204800. Both cameras can record in 4K at these high ISO settings. I am not sure if I would need to use ultra high ISO settings as the picture will start to get noisy. Combining a fast lens with higher ISO settings though would give me some really good light gathering capabilities far beyond my current camera setup. I might also be able to shift away from long exposure stills and record video which would be a great advantage to observe bioluminescence in real time. I am also waiting to see if the Sony A7SIII gets announced in the next few months as that camera will likely have even better low light capabilities.
Hello my friend, I enjoy your article very much, as I was reading my mind went to Puerto Rico, this phenomenon can be seen at "La Parguera" when people go swim at night on this waters you can see all the light show that produce when the water gets disturbed, it has been explain that this phenomenal lighting show is created by some micro organism that live in the waters of the Parguera.... What u seeing on your tank

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you talked to any of the Sponsors of this forum that sell “pods” about Bioluminescence? I wonder if they see it in their breeding tanks? I would be interested in hearing what they have to say.

I have not reached out to any of the sponsors yet to ask them if they ever observe bioluminescence in their pod cultures. Sounds like this might be the right time to ask though. @Reef Nutrition & @AlgaeBarn have you ever observed bioluminescent activity in the species of pods that your businesses offer?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not reached out to any of the sponsors yet to ask them if they ever observe bioluminescence in their pod cultures. Sounds like this might be the right time to ask though. @Reef Nutrition & @AlgaeBarn have you ever observed bioluminescent activity in the species of pods that your businesses offer?

The species we work with, Tigriopus californicus, Apocyclops panamensis and Parvocalanus crassirostris, lack the luciferase gene. Most copepods that have the gene are deep water, pelagic species. Here is a great paper on the subject: https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/29/6/1669/999192.

Best,
Chad

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hey @AlexG, I was actually reading this thread late last night. The species we currently work with Tigriopus californicus, Apocyclops panamensis, and Tisbe biminiensis do not exhibit bio luminescence. We looked into carrying the sea sapphire copepod, before we found out it was parasitic

upload_2018-10-31_11-51-41.png

http://www.deepseanews.com/2014/02/the-most-beautiful-animal-youve-never-seen/

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my friend, I enjoy your article very much, as I was reading my mind went to Puerto Rico, this phenomenon can be seen at "La Parguera" when people go swim at night on this waters you can see all the light show that produce when the water gets disturbed, it has been explain that this phenomenal lighting show is created by some micro organism that live in the waters of the Parguera.... What u seeing on your tank

During my research I have seen La Parguera mentioned many times. Some of the activity in the bioluminescent bay is the result of bioluminescent dinoflagellates. I have also read that there are some bioluminescent ostracods that live in the same area. I would like to visit La Parguera one day to see it for myself.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see it in the mouth of the Chesapeake bay. Not daily.

I work on the water and at least half a dozen times a year at night it is visible in the boats prop wash.

Beautiful!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a crazy week of finding out the really hard way that my heater was leaking electricity into my tank. I sat there at night tonight looking at the tank in despair and darkness.

BUT WHAT DID I SEE. Biolumeinescent pods EVERYWHERE. it looked like a star field. All over the rocks, sand and glass. I was blown away it looked more alien than anything ive seen in my tank before. I wasnt expecting something like that at all. I really want to know more about them. Are they good are they bad? I wish I could see them but they are so tiny and when I try to see them with a flash light. HA lol I cant see anything. To make sure I wasn't crazy I had someone else look to confirm they saw the lights.

@AlgaeBarn you got anything? I saw that sapphire pods. And crap I hope they arent those.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Puertorican, yes this micro organism live in those waters and it can be appreciated at the Parguera in the night

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a crazy week of finding out the really hard way that my heater was leaking electricity into my tank. I sat there at night tonight looking at the tank in despair and darkness.

BUT WHAT DID I SEE. Biolumeinescent pods EVERYWHERE. it looked like a star field. All over the rocks, sand and glass. I was blown away it looked more alien than anything ive seen in my tank before. I wasnt expecting something like that at all. I really want to know more about them. Are they good are they bad? I wish I could see them but they are so tiny and when I try to see them with a flash light. HA lol I cant see anything. To make sure I wasn't crazy I had someone else look to confirm they saw the lights.

@AlgaeBarn you got anything? I saw that sapphire pods. And crap I hope they arent those.

Were you seeing a constant glow or was it flashing?
How old is your tank?
Did you use live rock or dry rock?
More than likely they will not harm anything and are just part of the micro fauna population in your aquarium. I observe some bioluminescent worms in my new system on almost a nightly basis now as they survived my temp tank to the new system and are re-populating the system slowly. Mostly what I see now though is not a constant glow but they flash light when disturbed.
I would be interested in a sample to try and start a culture. Algae Barn might also be interested in them for a culture once identified.

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you seeing a constant glow or was it flashing?
How old is your tank?
Did you use live rock or dry rock?
More than likely they will not harm anything and are just part of the micro fauna population in your aquarium. I observe some bioluminescent worms in my new system on almost a nightly basis now as they survived my temp tank to the new system and are re-populating the system slowly. Mostly what I see now though is not a constant glow but they flash light when disturbed.
I would be interested in a sample to try and start a culture. Algae Barn might also be interested in them for a culture once identified.

It was a consistent light and they would blink off and on every once in a while. I would assume they are doing it to lure food to them or to communicate that the vibe I get from from the flashing/blinking. I tried to get pictures but there was no way my phone was picking up on the light. I'm going to ask a friend if I can use his insane professional camera and see if I can get some better pictures. And will update this thread when I do.

Tank is about 7-9 months old. Started with Carib sea special grade live sand and fresh man made dry reef rock from Carib sea as well. I've bought frag plugs from a few different sources and am assuming that the came in on one of them. At which point or when I have no clue!

I would love to share a sample with you. I'll work on trying to catch some. I don't think it should be too difficult as they are on the sand bed. I think that be really fun to see if you could start a culture. I agree if algae barn hasn't seen these and they aren't bad for your system it be really awesome to in some way work with them to identify what they are. Or anyone else yourself included.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a consistent light and they would blink off and on every once in a while. I would assume they are doing it to lure food to them or to communicate that the vibe I get from from the flashing/blinking. I tried to get pictures but there was no way my phone was picking up on the light. I'm going to ask a friend if I can use his insane professional camera and see if I can get some better pictures. And will update this thread when I do.

Tank is about 7-9 months old. Started with Carib sea special grade live sand and fresh man made dry reef rock from Carib sea as well. I've bought frag plugs from a few different sources and am assuming that the came in on one of them. At which point or when I have no clue!

I would love to share a sample with you. I'll work on trying to catch some. I don't think it should be too difficult as they are on the sand bed. I think that be really fun to see if you could start a culture. I agree if algae barn hasn't seen these and they aren't bad for your system it be really awesome to in some way work with them to identify what they are. Or anyone else yourself included.
Honestly…… the only thing I see at night on my tank are bristle worm, lolll I turn my lights off and wait to see if I get surprise and discover something new but nope when I’ get tired and turns my lights on all I see is bristle worm which I dislike sooooooo much, but u have a great spectacle by see this micro organism flashing at night, have u try to shake the water? If it seems that light all ur hand while u shake it with your hand …., wolaaaa! It will be amazing

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Would love to see what they look like under a microscope when you catch some for @AlexG if either of you are able to share pictures :cool:

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see what they look like under a microscope when you catch some for @AlexG if either of you are able to share pictures :cool:

@ppatches24 & @AlgaeBarn Since you are both listing the Denver area as your locations maybe a local sample exchange might be possible. I would need a sample shipped to Illinois. I am always happy to share microscope pictures for organism identification/Video along with some photos of bioluminescent activity. In fact I need to upload a new video of the bioluminescent worm activity in my refugium since I can finally capture it on video with a new camera setup.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back