Reefing as a Hobbyist, not a Scientist

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs guy actually gave me a compliment yesterday. Said I don't seem to lose much compared to others who frequent the shop.
In reality over 9 months I've lost just a couple lps inexplicably. A few fish. ( carpet dive and suspect mantis killing)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all just depends on your interests and goals...however, if you behave, present yourself, or give advice like a scientist you definitely need to know what your talking about and be able to back it up. Like I said before, I still wouldn't give mich advice without first stating it's coming from me and NOT an expert

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand why some people don't want to concern themselves with the scientific details behind every process but the reality is, this is a highly scientific hobby and the animals that we take care of rely on us giving them the best conditions for them to thrive. If your intent is simply to keep things alive in the easiest way possible then I'd argue that it's the wrong approach. 20+ years ago we didn't know many of the things we do today but the input of many experts allowed the hobby/industry to move in different directions as we learnt more.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to "reef", and each individual should feel free to ask questions and choose which methods to use, without fear of backlash from others.

You can definitely feel the heat when using social media to ask a question :) I find R2R a “safe” environment for folks just starting out to ask basic questions and obtaining help figuring things out.

I agree there are prevailing opinions about the “right way” to do things. Figuring out how much latitude there is in deviating from the “right way” without jeopardizing your animals can seem daunting. This latitude in approaches gives us the many ways to reef. Experience helps you accept this diversity. Experience also helps you resist being creative when the situation calls for following the rules.

I hope you are at a point now where you can enjoy the hobby!

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby is honestly way simpler than people make it out to be. The biggest challenge is overcoming the marketing and figuring out what you actually need. The biggest thing holding the hobby back is for people to be able to buy a system and be able to plug it in and go. The fluval 13.5 is a great example of this but even that could be done better for a complete system. But the popularity of the hobby will increase the more accessible and less confusing it is in the long run. I'm sure that will upset some people along the way.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a much better experience approaching my current tank as a simple hobbiest instead of an amateur scientist. This week especially. I'm seeing growth like never before in the 11 years I have done aquariums with coral. Getting the dial on my DaStaCo calcium reactor to the right number by doing daily alkalinity tests with my Sera kit was the peak of my lab work and actually easy. DaStaCo and Red Sea have done the science. I just follow the instructions meticulously and use the suggested parameters of my principal coral supplier, Euro Corals. It is much more physical than intellectual labor.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First I am not a smart man, got thru life so far because I am good with my hands.. With that said,

I agree that you shouldn't have to be a scientist to be in this hobby, but at the same time with the cost of everything it is getting crazy. Back when there were the 10k, 14k, or 20k bulbs for the metal halide fixtures, we did not get near the colors we do now. Yes we would get some color, don't get me wrong. But now, color is what sells, if it is bright it will cost. And if your tank has slightly elevated PO4 or not enough N03, that color goes out the window and is the beginning of the stress cycle for that coral. I am not saying you need to be a scientist, but you do need to have little more knowledge with this particular hobby if you want to be successful. And these forums, (reef central) included has helped me out so much, so much so I can say that my new found success is because of this forum. I say that this hobby is a mix of emotions, this week may be good while next it might not. Determination and patience will get everyone thru however!

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I am not a smart man, got thru life so far because I am good with my hands.

I was going to add that being manual is an advantage. Its much more about husbandry than science in the home aquarium. Knowing your equipment and to use it, developing a system for maintenance and learning how to maintain the aquarium without getting water everywhere or flood your electrical sockets and all of those other manual skills is number one for me.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to add that being manual is an advantage. Its much more about husbandry than science in the home aquarium. Knowing your equipment and to use it, developing a system for maintenance and learning how to maintain the aquarium without getting water everywhere or flood your electrical sockets and all of those other manual skills is number one for me.
There is however I feel a minimum of equipment required.
I was dosing manually but a single dose once a day is not ideal. For stability I feel a doser is necessary kit. The one extravagance.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is however I feel a minimum of equipment required.
I was dosing manually but a single dose once a day is not ideal. For stability I feel a doser is necessary kit. The one extravagance.
I mean manual in the sense of being good with your hands. Not in a minimum of hardware. There is definately a minimum for any application, although the maximum has not yet been found. The minimum is open for debate but whatever works seems to be the best. For my system and my style, an auto top off, a skimmer, CO2 scrubber, calcium reactor (its just another style of doser), UV, cooler/heater and good light and flow are my minimums. To that I added a roller filter, a media reactor for carbon, and an algae reactor.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean manual in the sense of being good with your hands. Not in a minimum of hardware. There is definately a minimum for any application, although the maximum has not yet been found. The minimum is open for debate but whatever works seems to be the best. For my system and my style, an auto top off, a skimmer, CO2 scrubber, calcium reactor (its just another style of doser), UV, cooler/heater and good light and flow are my minimums. To that I added a roller filter, a media reactor for carbon, and an algae reactor.
Also restricted by space. I have a 30 gallon tank. Sump space is premium
Fleece roller and skimmer. Doser external of cabinet

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the person you’re talking about. New to the hobby, but have been interested in reef tanks, and saltwater tanks in general, for a long time. No scientific background.
I have always thought of SW/reefing as daunting. That’s why I never took the plunge and started a tank. Much more involved then freshwater. But, now that I’m older and have a little more time available, I figured I’d give it a try. If you give most things time, research, and patience a reasonable person can figure them out. Having R2R available is unbelievably helpful too. I have firsthand knowledge that this community is safe, and the best resource for information that I could have hoped for.
Having said that, I still find the hobby somewhat daunting. Just when I think that I have a handle on what I need to start up my tank, cycle it, and stabilize, I read something else about this chemical or that, about dosing, about PAR spread, or about any of the million things that can go wrong, and I’m left reevaluating what I do actually know and if I’m ready for this or not. What I’m hoping is that with some good, base knowledge, and the ability to ask advise and questions along the way, I can be successful. Take each issue as it comes and keep learning.
For me, at least, this is definitely not a “plug and play” hobby. Someone needs to make one of those For Dummies books about SW/reefing. I’m afraid it would be 10 volumes long though.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the person you’re talking about. New to the hobby, but have been interested in reef tanks, and saltwater tanks in general, for a long time. No scientific background.
I have always thought of SW/reefing as daunting. That’s why I never took the plunge and started a tank. Much more involved then freshwater. But, now that I’m older and have a little more time available, I figured I’d give it a try. If you give most things time, research, and patience a reasonable person can figure them out. Having R2R available is unbelievably helpful too. I have firsthand knowledge that this community is safe, and the best resource for information that I could have hoped for.
Having said that, I still find the hobby somewhat daunting. Just when I think that I have a handle on what I need to start up my tank, cycle it, and stabilize, I read something else about this chemical or that, about dosing, about PAR spread, or about any of the million things that can go wrong, and I’m left reevaluating what I do actually know and if I’m ready for this or not. What I’m hoping is that with some good, base knowledge, and the ability to ask advise and questions along the way, I can be successful. Take each issue as it comes and keep learning.
For me, at least, this is definitely not a “plug and play” hobby. Someone needs to make one of those For Dummies books about SW/reefing. I’m afraid it would be 10 volumes long though.
I think you'll find reefing is easier than you think, as long as you aren't the lazy or impatient type. Starting out with a few frags, water changes are all you need to keep water chemistry in range. I always suggest softies first, as they are the most forgiving.
Explaining things in a way that everyone can understand is what I strive to do. Sometimes you will get a thesis from someone, when all you want to know is what fish food is recommended. :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all just depends on your interests and goals...however, if you behave, present yourself, or give advice like a scientist you definitely need to know what your talking about and be able to back it up. Like I said before, I still wouldn't give mich advice without first stating it's coming from me and NOT an expert
That is a very good point. I am a very forgettable, non expert reefer in Michigan in the US. But, if it means anything to anyone, these are a few of my tanks.
IMG_20220630_201906022~2.jpg
IMG_20220720_181419329~4 (1).jpg
VID_20220726_155932_exported_64604.jpg

Attachments

• PSX_20220812_172228.jpg
    PSX_20220812_172228.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 18

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a 9 month newbie I can say a great big thank you to the experts and hobbyists alike on this site.
Aquarium keeping is what you want to make it.
It will hurt you if you let it though.
I've only done this for 3 years, I've made a lot of mistakes, crashed my first tank, but feel that I've been successful (mostly) due to R2R, and the information put out here as well as a lot of YouTube videos. I love how hands-on the hobby is. It never ceases to amaze me. While I am interested in new developments, I've found myself taking a lot of gear OFFLINE recently that I thought I needed, things that over-complicated the system and added more potential points of failure. Now I basically run a Berlin-style system, lots of live rock, skimmer, and mechanical filtration and dose necessary elements. Nothing else but the basics that I've been working for over a generation is needed to have a nice tank IMO.
IMG_3344.jpg

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only done this for 3 years, I've made a lot of mistakes, crashed my first tank, but feel that I've been successful (mostly) due to R2R, and the information put out here as well as a lot of YouTube videos. I love how hands-on the hobby is. It never ceases to amaze me. While I am interested in new developments, I've found myself taking a lot of gear OFFLINE recently that I thought I needed, things that over-complicated the system and added more potential points of failure. Now I basically run a Berlin-style system, lots of live rock, skimmer, and mechanical filtration and dose necessary elements. Nothing else but the basics that I've been working for over a generation is needed to have a nice tank IMO.
IMG_3344.jpg
Like Elon Musk says. The best part is no part. The best process is no process.
Having said that he has well over complicated the recovery ;)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back