Reefing Fears: What are you afraid of most when it comes to reefing?

Do you have fears and worries about owning a reef tank?

• Yes and I'm always very concerned

Votes: 105 25.4%
  • Yes but not too much

Votes: 194 47.0%
  • Very minimal if any

Votes: 66 16.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 41 9.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not as fun to talk about or to consider bad things that can happen to our tanks or because of our tanks. But still if we can talk about them, maybe we can learn to be less afraid of them. Most fears or worse case scenarios will never come true. Maybe it will help to hear from others who have been in the hobby longer that your worst nightmare isn't probably going to happen. Let's talk about it!

What are some of your biggest concerns or fears when it comes to owning a saltwater reef aquarium?

What about you old salts, what have you been afraid of that has never happened?

bigstock--187512376.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same prolonged power outage. Never had one, but have a generator.

I also worry if something happens to me that my family will be burdened trying to keep it alive or trying to sell all the animals and such. Silly, but still a worry.

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest fear is a complete tank crash. Although if I'm around my tank I'm at esse knowing I can check and see everything.

You can never really know when a heater might fail or when a power outage might occur, all can be dangerous if your away and unable to attend the tank.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me it has been a fire while I sleep.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most that already posted, lots of things to worry me.

Weirdly enough, my biggest worry is all of my nems decide to spawn all at once. Just due to the shear number I have, I can only imagine what it would do to a tank. Luckily, I have enough water at any time to do a 100% water change on any and all tanks, but if I am out of town I would have to rely on my webcams or an alert that the PH has dropped or something else to know it. Then my have to rely on just setting up my AWC to run constant until the storage tank is empty lol.

I know, I am weird.

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A seam busting and it flooding my house.
100% this.

6-7 years ago I had a 125 gallon petsmart FW tank. Woke up in the middle of the night to what I thought was my roommate taking a really long pee, too long.... and then it hit me, the tank had leaked and the return from the canister was waterfalling into the lowered water level. I sprung up... tank had cracked and ~60 gallons had made it to the floor.

I have nightmares of this happening to my current display.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Prolonged power outage while I’m away bothers me.
I have a generator (everyone should) but I have to be there to set it up.
I use a battery pack with power inverter. 1000 watt should power my return and one powerhead for 20 hours if power goes out. Kicks on automatically if I'm not home.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% this.

6-7 years ago I had a 125 gallon petsmart FW tank. Woke up in the middle of the night to what I thought was my roommate taking a really long pee, too long.... and then it hit me, the tank had leaked and the return from the canister was waterfalling into the lowered water level. I sprung up... tank had cracked and ~60 gallons had made it to the floor.

I have nightmares of this happening to my current display.
I’ve overflowed my tanks several times over the years from stupid mistakes that I’ve made but never more than a few gallons. After seeing what 5 gallons of water looks like in my living room floor, I can’t image 60 gallons or more.

AndrewJG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen all the BRSTV uploads = worry about everything going wrong!

Did what they say, buy and APEX and programme "what if...and do that", now when out the house, look at my Fusion AP and hope everything ok.

Good marketing by the BRS guys lol, but I am a tech junky, guess that's why I like reefing.

Back