Reefing Peer Pressure: What do you feel pressured to do?

Have you ever felt "peer pressure" in this hobby when it comes to maintaining your aquarium?

• Yes (please share in the thread)

Votes: 100 29.3%
  • No I have not

Votes: 234 68.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 7 2.1%

• Total voters

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. And it’s rampant on a forum since it’s like a bellybutton. everyone has one, as, everyone has an opinion, which is peer pressure.

Mostly though, buy expensive stuff cos cheap is bad quality across the board from livestock to supplies to testing to hardware.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer pressure....never had one. Hydrometer = close enough for me!

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that I feel pressure to do things a certain way, but that pressure is not entirely placed on me by other people, and is rather created internally by myself having the desire to do the absolute best that I can. I also do feel pressure, not necessarily intentionally, because I know that my tank was not set up "the right way", when even I know that the choices I made were not the best decisions that I could have made.

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in a big city with some good local facebook groups, it's hard not to feel any peer pressure to spend, spend, spend, and go broke! Gotta keep up with the Joneses!

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I definitely felt there was significant pressure to be a ULN system and run nutrients at incredibly low levels. I have since learned other wise from some fantastic reefers here, but I think that people just getting into the hobby definitely need to know that 1-2 ppm nitrate and .02-.03 phosphate isn’t the only way to go. I personally try to keep my nitrates around 5-10 but don’t start worrying about them until they get up to like 20+ ppm and I can’t remember the last time I checked my phosphates but everything is happy so I know they can’t be too far off.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m literally afraid of the Tang police!

But seriously, when I first started my tank, i had a basic plumbing question and some people told me i was doing it all wrong for using a durso standpipe instead of the herbie method because of how noisy my tank would be. Having no idea what I was doing yet I spent way too much money at homedepot and got frustrated trying to replumb my tank so I finally decided to just use the durso drain the tank came with. Lo and behold... it’s not noisy at all. I should have just stuck to my original plan.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never, you'd have to be pretty alternative to run a tank like I run mine, many ways to skin a dog! (Cat lover!) ;)

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I feel pressured to do? Well, having kept reef aquariums of various sizes for 35 years...not much :). All we really have to do is discover what works best for each of us and then stick with it.

Island Reef 242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept simple saltwater tanks in the 90's, then took a break until a few years ago. I started watching various videos on keeping reef tanks to see how the hobby had progressed, and what I needed to have a great system. Just about every one was saying, and I felt pressured into believing that, I needed the latest and most expensive gadgets, monitors, bells and whistles to have any hope in successfully keeping anything alive in a saltwater tank. I felt defeated and discouraged because there was no way I could afford everything "they" said I needed.

Luckily I joined R2R and found, not only, it is possible to have thriving reef tank without all the bells and whistles, but that some of the oldest tanks here are considered extremely low maintenance.

I am happy to say that my tank is now over 1.5 years old now, its looking better than any tank I had in the past, and I am actually using less equipment that I did in the 90's.

I am glad I did not give in to the belief that I needed a bunch of things to run a reef tank.

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT QT QT. While I am glad I decided to go this route, it certainly adds to the expense, time, and headaches of reefing. Had it not been for the pressure of “needing” to QT I probably wouldn't have done it, but glad I am. There are several out there who don’t QT that have great tanks. At the end of the day, it’s personal choice and appreciate everyone’s input on all of the important items in reefing.

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there’s a lot of pressure to have lots of equipment and the best of the best of everything .

I don’t have an RODI system because my tap water is perfectly fine to use , no high metals, phosphates or nitrates so why waste the money

I don’t have a sump

I don’t have an apex

I don’t have any type of reactor

I don’t rely on Hanna checkers but do just fine with the cheaper API test kits

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was pressured into getting a bigger tank, OH WAIT, I did that to myself, LOL!!! ;Hilarious

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about pressure to use 'new"expensive biological filtration methods (ie) ceramic media.
IMG_0411.JPG
Tank cycled in four days with Dr. Tims "all in one" going the old school route.
Dr. Tim your wisdom was not lost with me!;)

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back