REEFING VISION: Do you have a vision and how do you make it a reality?

Do you have a VISION for your reef tank?

• YES a vision and a plan

Votes: 180 49.6%
  • YES a vision but not much planing

Votes: 69 19.0%
  • NO vision just creating as I go

Votes: 107 29.5%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In life, in business, in finances, in your home in whatever you are doing it's good to have a VISION and a PLAN for the future!

What do I mean by vision? If you were to look into the future and see your reef tank, what would you want to see? What would you want it to look like? If you don't have a plan maybe you're just adding fish and corals in more haphazardly. Maybe you've arranged your live rock in a way that won't allow for corals to have room to become a colony? Maybe you've not put together a proper filtration system to allow for that fully fish stocked aquarium to be able to handle the nutrients? If you do have a vision, and you can see it, what will it take to get it there? What do you do now and every day to make the vision a reality?

Whatever your vision may be, without a plan then the vision may perish! So let's talk about that today and if you don't have a vision and a plan maybe today you should start seeing and planning.

1. What is your vision for your saltwater reef aquarium's future? What does it look like?

2. What plans do you have, what are you doing to see the vision become a reality?

Reef Vision copy.jpg

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took one year getting all equipment before starting.
Setup my 120 50/50 live
and dry with a minimalist scape 11 months ago.
Have not touched the scape since setup.
The hardest thing to do in this hobby is to visualize what your tank will look like 1,2,3 years down the road.
I place corals once and have only moved a few since setup.
I have had to frag a few already and removed the elkhorn monti as it grew to big. Put a small piece back this weekend as I really like it.
Here is before and now.
20190706_135706.jpg
20200528_052128.jpg

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing tank do you have any tips for transitioning from water changes to no water changes
I took one year getting all equipment before starting.
Setup my 120 50/50 live
and dry with a minimalist scape 11 months ago.
Have not touched the scape since setup.
The hardest thing to do in this hobby is to visualize what your tank will look like 1,2,3 years down the road.
I place corals once and have only moved a few since setup.
I have had to frag a few already and removed the elkhorn monti as it grew to big. Put a small piece back this weekend as I really like it.
Here is before and now.
20190706_135706.jpg
20200528_052128.jpg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with no plan 5 years ago. This time around I really planned out a lot. I took note of the things I wanted to change, and used this forum a lot reading up and seeking input on aquascaping, coral selection and placement, PAR readings, microfauana etc.

What I have found very helpful is to not hold back posting the steps I am taking as I go along. It's not only what I know, but it's also what I do not know that I believe will result i a much more enjoyable aquarium. Those unintended consequences will get you every time.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing tank do you have any tips for transitioning from water changes to no water changes
Yea send me a pm and I will explain my method tonight.
I dont want this thread to be sidelined by the water change police lol.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea send me a pm and I will explain my method tonight.
I dont want this thread to be sidelined by the water change police lol.

No please don’t! Make a new thread So we can all discuss as all methods are welcome!

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No please don’t! Make a new thread So we can all discuss as all methods are welcome!
I would but I get hammered by the water change police and dont like to argue.
My tank will be 1 year in 3 weeks. I will send out a icp test and then start a thread about my system once I update my build thread.
That way I have the icp test as reference.
I planed ahead for it too lol.

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i agree i would rather pm so i can discuss this in peace
I would but I get hammered by the water change police and dont like to argue.
My tank will be 1 year in 3 weeks. I will send out a icp test and then start a thread about my system once I update my build thread.
That way I have the icp test as reference.
I planed ahead for it too lol.

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, tell me about it.

I have a full google slide on what I need, what I want, and the goal of the tank. I have a slide that includes everything I need and the prices of the equipment I am buying. Still not finished but I love researching.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the basic elements in my head I wanted. 8 foot tank, fish room, no bending down, nothing in the dark. No buckets or carrying water. Lots of fish. MH lights and live rock. Things I could never have before. Eels, lionfish, tangs, trigger, large angels.
The 75 was supposed to come down and be a sump but the wife said "why?, it does so good.

IMG_2675-L.jpg

So I made a sump.
If I get water on the floor no one will yell at me.
2020060113004854-4018248800144552974-IMG_2679_heic-L.jpg

I am growing white worms for the butterfly and guppies for lion.
IMG_2677_heic-M.jpg

I even have a plecostomus. I like them. I haven't had one since 2007 when I switched to salt.

Enough to keep me happy until I can't do this anymore. Which could be tomorrow or 30 years from now. You will not live forever and at some point that will become a real concrete fact in your life.

A plan is good. Start with a vision. Be brave enough and stubborn enough to make it come true.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For many years I just kept stuff, but for the past 15+ years my vision, activities, and long-term plan in the aquatic space has been related to the conservation and stewardship of aquatic animals with a focus on reproduction. Additionally, for many years I have enjoyed collecting and caring for native fishes as well as creating the space for them to reproduce in my tanks. My vision and place have led to a focus on many functional tanks instead of one large beautiful reef tank. Lately I have renewed my interest and efforts in cultivating live feeds to support the reproduction process of these creature. I am also currently researching and beginning to add more automation in order to be more effective in pursuing my overall vision.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan for the tank is to have all of the rocks lined with Macrodactyla doreensis and possibly a carpet nem, that would be heaven! Right now I've got 1 of probably 6 or 7. It has been an awesome journey, for sure!

jng15111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like with everything in life I set it up as I go. It is life in a tank. I do not think you can plan things, they happen and you have to change it and adapt it as things change. I have only had it for a few months and am always trying to improve, but never have a set plan.
old tank.jpg
20200601_142020.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like with everything in life I set it up as I go. It is life in a tank. I do not think you can plan things, they happen and you have to change it and adapt it as things change. I have only had it for a few months and am always trying to improve, but never have a set plan.
old tank.jpg
20200601_142020.jpg

Good point! A plan to micro manage your tank is often not helpful, but having "buoys" and a compass direction can help us stay on track.

kevin318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In life, in business, in finances, in your home in whatever you are doing it's good to have a VISION and a PLAN for the future!

What do I mean by vision? If you were to look into the future and see your reef tank, what would you want to see? What would you want it to look like? If you don't have a plan maybe you're just adding fish and corals in more haphazardly. Maybe you've arranged your live rock in a way that won't allow for corals to have room to become a colony? Maybe you've not put together a proper filtration system to allow for that fully fish stocked aquarium to be able to handle the nutrients? If you do have a vision, and you can see it, what will it take to get it there? What do you do now and every day to make the vision a reality?

Whatever your vision may be, without a plan then the vision may perish! So let's talk about that today and if you don't have a vision and a plan maybe today you should start seeing and planning.

1. What is your vision for your saltwater reef aquarium's future? What does it look like?

2. What plans do you have, what are you doing to see the vision become a reality?

Reef Vision copy.jpg

I'm a planner, so I like doing my research, planning, and then executing.

Coral Plan 5-2020.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back