REEFING VISION: Do you have a vision and how do you make it a reality?

Do you have a VISION for your reef tank?

• YES a vision and a plan

Votes: 180 49.6%
  • YES a vision but not much planing

Votes: 69 19.0%
  • NO vision just creating as I go

Votes: 107 29.5%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4E9DB8B3-CCD4-4BA2-BDCD-0A33C67F7D34.jpeg

CA2878F7-A1BA-4C69-9344-778377591417.jpeg
You have an excellent vision and seem to be well on your way. Are you going to do frags that grow into colonies, or just purchase the colonies?

Not at all that you need input, or are asking for it, but the big difference I saw between these two tanks is that yours has a lot more live rock. You may want to move some of it to your sump to truly realize your vision.

Frais

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent an hour today talking to my lfs guy, asking about the corals he had how they grew, what their requirements were and am formulating a game plan on what I want to add to the tank and we're I want to place it. He's the kinda guy who won't sell you something that's not gonna work in your tank and steer you towards things that will. So I'm heading back with a game plan in the next couple of days so I can pick up some stuff to work on filling out my tank before I just kinda let it grow.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vision I have right now is to rework my frag tank. I went from two separate tanks (20g & 30g) into a 120g with a 40g frag tank. The 120g Is (hopefully) in growth mode now. I've got most of the tank setup how I want it, and can't wait to see how it all fills in over the years.

The 40g frag tank is another story. When I set it up it was basically just all of the coral from the other tanks. It has live rock all over and isn't really set up for growing frags or propagation. I'm trying to shift around/remove the live rock and set it up like a real frag system. The last debate I have is which process I want to do:
1) Buy the frags and grow them out in the frag system. Then cut a frag and put it into the display tank. This way I don't need to worry about mounting something that might just die.
2) Clip frags from the display and put them in the frag tank. This is the method most everyone tanks but I'm thinking that it might be nice to avoid this since it's kind of difficult to pull stuff from the display.

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vision is to have more of an art project than pure science project, but for now I'm happy learning as much as I can. The details of how I am going to do that are still unfolding ... daily.

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 years ago when I started my reef aquarium I never imagined where it would go. My vision and plan my mind could never have imagined. Sometimes I think if God gave me ten or twenty more years of life with the desire to continue, I think I could not even imagine where I would go since every day progress in technology goes very fast. For that reason I believe that a vision and a plan evolve so much that it should not be considered as an option.

1992-05.jpg

20200313_192003.jpg

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an excellent vision and seem to be well on your way. Are you going to do frags that grow into colonies, or just purchase the colonies?

Not at all that you need input, or are asking for it, but the big difference I saw between these two tanks is that yours has a lot more live rock. You may want to move some of it to your sump to truly realize your vision.

I had noticed that about the live rock. Where my tank is now, I’ve actually reduced the live rock in the display a bit. When looking a tank without any corals in it, it’s looks very empty. I have almost 29” of height in the display and there are another 14” of height above the highest piece of live rock, which I believe will provide ample height for staghorn colonies to grow upwards.

For what it’s worth, I believe the tank in the picture you quoted is 22” tall. The tank in the other picture is 30” tall.

The corals that I will get will all be frags, but I’ll purchase a few frags of each of the corals that I wish to grow into colonies. I’ve heard that frags taken from the same parent colony will grow until they meet each other and then integrate into a single colony.

Thanks for the thoughts. As always, I more than welcome critiques, suggestions, and comments.

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear i had a plan!!!!!

well kind of interesting topic, and in my case seems to be continuously evolvingo_O

My plan initially was to convert my Juwel Vision 450 to Marine, use a canister and skimmer etc.

Then my plan changed within 2 months to purchasing a Waterbox 230.6, then i found out they don't make them anymore or that model is simply unavailable here in Australia, then the plan changed again and found myself ordering a slightly modified custom copy of a Waterbox 230.6 with some dimensional changes.
My plan was to run R/O Varios 8 as a return, then found myself ordering a R/E Red Dragon RD3 100w.
So right from the get go anything i had in mind has changed and plans seem to be rather unplanned or at least very flexible, so that's not really planning in my book.

I will get there in the end, my road to Rome has me taking a different path than what was expected.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear i had a plan!!!!!

well kind of interesting topic, and in my case seems to be continuously evolvingo_O

My plan initially was to convert my Juwel Vision 450 to Marine, use a canister and skimmer etc.

Then my plan changed within 2 months to purchasing a Waterbox 230.6, then i found out they don't make them anymore or that model is simply unavailable here in Australia, then the plan changed again and found myself ordering a slightly modified custom copy of a Waterbox 230.6 with some dimensional changes.
My plan was to run R/O Varios 8 as a return, then found myself ordering a R/E Red Dragon RD3 100w.
So right from the get go anything i had in mind has changed and plans seem to be rather unplanned or at least very flexible, so that's not really planning in my book.

I will get there in the end, my road to Rome has me taking a different path than what was expected.
When you get to Rome do like the Romans. Everything in excess lol.
Sounds like your on your way!

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that people who can't work without a plan always look down their noses at those that just adapt as they go along while those that like to enjoy life the way it's handed out look at planners and say "maybe someday I could do that?" Anyway, I prefer the "country garden" that comes along rather than the symmetrical 5 red tulips then 5 white tulips look. (My neighbor).. Nature works it out annd part of the fun is watching that happen. I have a small tank that I just keep what I find down at the shore in and it can be as much fun as my bigger tank with my "shipped in from elsewhere" friends all tossed together with unrelated tankmates. And for those who think marine biology has moved slowly...in my point of view I think there have been a mass of changes in the last 70+ years! My plan has been to change the water when it needs it, look up a new fish/invertebrate/coral and see if it fits in and then if it's responsible and affordable and give it a try. There is no way what I absolutely love today I'll still love in 10 years..(.'cept SW tanks, hiking, and model rail).

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to keep on integrating softies, my preference, with monti and a few acro. I want to make it look as “natural” as possible, so I spend a lot of time reviewing my placements to give a natural grew by itself look rather than I just stuck it there. Since I have a lot of live rock, it does pose a challenge. But I have a great lfs who I can work with.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back