ReefingInTheBuff’s Reefer XXL 750 NSA Build

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my journey with saltwater 4 months ago with my daughter in the form of a 32 gallon biocube knowing full well I would catch the bug and go for a bigger tank shortly thereafter.

I’m still in planning stages and want to go slow so starting this build thread prior to ordering the tank. Advice is greatly appreciated as I’m a newb and want to try avoid as many mistakes as possible. I’m realistic and know there will be bumps in the road but this part of what I enjoy about the hobby.

I’ve decided on reefer xxl 750 as I wanted a large volume tank mostly for length of tank which will give me room to create a really cool NSA scape. Was kicking tires in going with reefer 900 but tank is in basement and was concerned of issues getting it down there. Obviously weight not an issue with concrete flooring. Think it is feasible so could go that route if the pros outweigh the cons. Price isn’t the issue although staying married is a goal so that may change lol.

Equipment is as follows:

Reefer XXL 750 Deluxe
6 stage RO/DI system from BRS.
Red Sea Skimmer 900
Red Sea 45 wave makers x2
Sicce Syncra 9.0 WiFi x 2
1200watt titanium heater system BRS
Red Sea doser 4 head and 2 head units
Neptune Apex (down the road)

Marco rock +100 pounds fir NSA aqua scape
Marco mortar
Insta set spray and glue
medium grade sand

In terms of cycling, was considering Brightwell system given Marco rock scape. My other tank was live rock so haven’t used this before.

Tank will be up against a wall with shared wall with sizable closet on other side so thinking of mounting controller board and eventually apex system in there as this has to be a clean install as wife is very particular about optics as we entertain a lot in this space. On the other side of closet is a bar with sink so plan is to put RO/DI system in closet and pass tubing to sink on other side through under sink install. Will use sink faucet for pulling water out of tank for water changes. Photos to follow.

Plan is to set up RO/DI system in next week with photos to follow.

Also going to begin NSA with Marco rocks which I’m excited to start as my wife has a background in architecture which will help in creating a gravity defying scape which looks cool but is also stable. Going with BRS NSA method which is initial scape with glue/insta set. Once happy with structure will use Marco mortar with sand to add extra layer of stability. Any issues with this method? Anyone use baking soda/glue method with equal stability/better results?

Anyway, thanks for checking my thread. Hope to provide regular updates over next few weeks.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my journey with saltwater 4 months ago with my daughter in the form of a 32 gallon biocube knowing full well I would catch the bug and go for a bigger tank shortly thereafter.

I’m still in planning stages and want to go slow so starting this build thread prior to ordering the tank. Advice is greatly appreciated as I’m a newb and want to try avoid as many mistakes as possible. I’m realistic and know there will be bumps in the road but this part of what I enjoy about the hobby.

I’ve decided on reefer xxl 750 as I wanted a large volume tank mostly for length of tank which will give me room to create a really cool NSA scape. Was kicking tires in going with reefer 900 but tank is in basement and was concerned of issues getting it down there. Obviously weight not an issue with concrete flooring. Think it is feasible so could go that route if the pros outweigh the cons. Price isn’t the issue although staying married is a goal so that may change lol.

Equipment is as follows:

Reefer XXL 750 Deluxe
6 stage RO/DI system from BRS.
Red Sea Skimmer 900
Red Sea 45 wave makers x2
Sicce Syncra 9.0 WiFi x 2
1200watt titanium heater system BRS
Red Sea doser 4 head and 2 head units
Neptune Apex (down the road)

Marco rock +100 pounds fir NSA aqua scape
Marco mortar
Insta set spray and glue
medium grade sand

In terms of cycling, was considering Brightwell system given Marco rock scape. My other tank was live rock so haven’t used this before.

Tank will be up against a wall with shared wall with sizable closet on other side so thinking of mounting controller board and eventually apex system in there as this has to be a clean install as wife is very particular about optics as we entertain a lot in this space. On the other side of closet is a bar with sink so plan is to put RO/DI system in closet and pass tubing to sink on other side through under sink install. Will use sink faucet for pulling water out of tank for water changes. Photos to follow.

Plan is to set up RO/DI system in next week with photos to follow.

Also going to begin NSA with Marco rocks which I’m excited to start as my wife has a background in architecture which will help in creating a gravity defying scape which looks cool but is also stable. Going with BRS NSA method which is initial scape with glue/insta set. Once happy with structure will use Marco mortar with sand to add extra layer of stability. Any issues with this method? Anyone use baking soda/glue method with equal stability/better results?

Anyway, thanks for checking my thread. Hope to provide regular updates over next few weeks.
I added a Reefer xxl 750 back in June of last year. Love it! I didn't go with all Red Sea gear as I prefer using ecotech for flow and for the return pump, which operate using the mobius app. I did add a refugium about 1 month ago - which has made a big difference in controlling algae, phosphates and nitrates. Best of luck, i'm sure you'll love it.

IMG_0633.png IMG_0803.png

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Reefer xxl 750 back in June of last year. Love it! I didn't go with all Red Sea gear as I prefer using ecotech for flow and for the return pump, which operate using the mobius app. I did add a refugium about 1 month ago - which has made a big difference in controlling algae, phosphates and nitrates. Best of luck, i'm sure you'll love it.

IMG_0633.png IMG_0803.png
Thanks!! Great looking tank! What is that fish next to fox face? Is that a long horned cow fish? If so any issues with it nipping it other fish/CUC or corals? Refugium definitely in plans for my tank.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started planning on my Marco rock NSA scape. Looking for feedback on this layout.

Thinking of doing branching NSA at far ends like BRS vid with one side starting forward and branching back and the other end starting from back and extending to front. Think that will add to feeling of depth and may require a look from side to see all aspects of tank which I think is cool. The three rocks to the left of center was going to link in series of arches going high to low as it approaches front glass on in an arc pattern.
Hopefully working on this more in upcoming days and will share progress, photos, and thoughts on BRS process.

shaner014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epic start! Pumped to watch this progress and see what you can accomplish.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st stab at NSA and pretty happy so far with how it’s turning out. Will be adding to this but looking forward some feedback on progress so far. Will use mortar when done so hoping these branches will hold.
9D056EE9-DB15-4C07-BD56-C17D28FA1EED.jpeg

Want a few to extend to front of tank but will see if that’s a stable option.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish stock wish list (work in progress):

-Clownfish (2) not sure if type yet may go designer
-Fathead anthias (1M, 3F)
-Cardinal (4)
-Longnose Hawkfish or Flame Hawk
-Purple Tang
-Yellow Tang (if I can find one)
-Powder Blue Tang*
-Flame Angel*
-Starry Blenny
-Diamond Watchmen Goby
-Clown Goby
-Melanurus Wrasse
-Carpenter Fairy Wrasse
-Ruby head fairy wrasse

* know these are potential issues and would love to hear alternatives that would work

This is just a wishlist and I understand there may be cohabitant issues. Please let me know if you see any issues. Most important thing to me is peaceful coexistence as well as appearance of well stocked tank without going overboard.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is second structure I’m working on. Going for gravity defying outcropping look by canter levering weight in opposite direction. In the video I put up a brace by heavier part of arch to keep it stable while glue cures which I will remove after mortar dries. Pray it holds.

Third and final big structure will be started tomorrow.

Hope to have all complete by end of week. Then will try to cycle rock in big plastic bins if I can find ones that will fit these monstrosities.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed brace and it held!!! Keeping the box to support the end and will mortar up to braced end. Wait 24 hours and then finish last part.

Attachments

• 79454A0F-79F7-474D-9D86-E47AB2F9CAEF.jpeg
    79454A0F-79F7-474D-9D86-E47AB2F9CAEF.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 65

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your a experience reefer. I would skip any fish with a thin mucus coat. They are prone to ich. Unless your buying qt or plan extreme qt measures.
maybe gain some experience and add those later.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just put order in for tank so few weeks away from this project taking off. Excited but a lot of pressure to prove to boss (aka wife) that this is a solid idea. Think this tank will be gorgeous and convince her I was right (first time for everything right?).

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress on NSA. Think it’s done minus mortar on all pieces. Ordered 4 small foundation rocks to serve as islands for some of more weed like corals I may want to keep. Also want place for clam somewhere in this tank down the line.

ClearwaterReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st stab at NSA and pretty happy so far with how it’s turning out. Will be adding to this but looking forward some feedback on progress so far. Will use mortar when done so hoping these branches will hold.
9D056EE9-DB15-4C07-BD56-C17D28FA1EED.jpeg

Want a few to extend to front of tank but will see if that’s a stable option.
that's awesome

ClearwaterReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just put order in for tank so few weeks away from this project taking off. Excited but a lot of pressure to prove to boss (aka wife) that this is a solid idea. Think this tank will be gorgeous and convince her I was right (first time for everything right?).
I fight the same battle!

Back