OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tank shipping from Red Sea today. Very excited. That being said don’t want to move a 350 plus pound aquarium into basement and was wondering if anyone knows a moving company that deals with this sort of thing in Western NY.

Prefer someone with insurance in case something goes wrong. The tank is being delivered to garage so will be relatively quick job.

I was thinking of building stand ahead of time so they can just place on stand and be done but if reasonable would have them build stand if it’s a company that does that instead of going with moving company.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13070F85-4D19-450B-B47C-5D9178774D08.jpeg
1E465493-6B7D-4DB7-B8D0-E049AFD7697C.jpeg

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wall for tank backs up to closet so plan is to run all cords into there. Realize plug in pic isn’t gfci but that’s being swapped out and I’m going to flip the outlet so it’s in closet and protected from getting wet and tripped.
Neptune apex ordered as well as adaptive reef controller board.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C4816D8C-2BF2-46CE-89CE-1DCB0F860AF4.jpeg
Plumbing will be finished tomorrow and hope to have sand and water in by weekend. Ready to get cycling started and begin the long process. While cycling will need to figure out apex controller set up as never used one before but figure I have time.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling up tank slowly but surely, hope to post some pics shortly of pass through into closet with controller board setup.

Thinking of keeping all controllers in closet with cabinet space used for trident and dos so it looks neat (wife is watching closely after all).

Was told the stock ATO for Red Sea not great….was thinking of going with Tunze ATO as apex ATO had mixed reviews. Any advice on that is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 9D493F41-8701-458F-A8D5-B5D4F4535D8F.jpeg
    9D493F41-8701-458F-A8D5-B5D4F4535D8F.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 7DF609DC-83E7-4B4D-8450-CB4D6E81CF74.jpeg
    7DF609DC-83E7-4B4D-8450-CB4D6E81CF74.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 49

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oooh loving this new build!

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EC5266FA-A695-4347-AA6D-B4E4FDDAB382.jpeg
Started cycling today with Brightwell dry rock cycling kit. Now the waiting game starts but I have plenty of organizing to do in meantime so that’s not a bad thing.

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my journey with saltwater 4 months ago with my daughter in the form of a 32 gallon biocube knowing full well I would catch the bug and go for a bigger tank shortly thereafter.

I’m still in planning stages and want to go slow so starting this build thread prior to ordering the tank. Advice is greatly appreciated as I’m a newb and want to try avoid as many mistakes as possible. I’m realistic and know there will be bumps in the road but this part of what I enjoy about the hobby.

I’ve decided on reefer xxl 750 as I wanted a large volume tank mostly for length of tank which will give me room to create a really cool NSA scape. Was kicking tires in going with reefer 900 but tank is in basement and was concerned of issues getting it down there. Obviously weight not an issue with concrete flooring. Think it is feasible so could go that route if the pros outweigh the cons. Price isn’t the issue although staying married is a goal so that may change lol.

Equipment is as follows:

Reefer XXL 750 Deluxe
6 stage RO/DI system from BRS.
Red Sea Skimmer 900
Red Sea 45 wave makers x2
Sicce Syncra 9.0 WiFi x 2
1200watt titanium heater system BRS
Red Sea doser 4 head and 2 head units
Neptune Apex (down the road)

Marco rock +100 pounds fir NSA aqua scape
Marco mortar
Insta set spray and glue
medium grade sand

In terms of cycling, was considering Brightwell system given Marco rock scape. My other tank was live rock so haven’t used this before.

Tank will be up against a wall with shared wall with sizable closet on other side so thinking of mounting controller board and eventually apex system in there as this has to be a clean install as wife is very particular about optics as we entertain a lot in this space. On the other side of closet is a bar with sink so plan is to put RO/DI system in closet and pass tubing to sink on other side through under sink install. Will use sink faucet for pulling water out of tank for water changes. Photos to follow.

Plan is to set up RO/DI system in next week with photos to follow.

Also going to begin NSA with Marco rocks which I’m excited to start as my wife has a background in architecture which will help in creating a gravity defying scape which looks cool but is also stable. Going with BRS NSA method which is initial scape with glue/insta set. Once happy with structure will use Marco mortar with sand to add extra layer of stability. Any issues with this method? Anyone use baking soda/glue method with equal stability/better results?

Anyway, thanks for checking my thread. Hope to provide regular updates over next few weeks.
What made you choose the 750 instead of the 625? I'm looking at either of those two tanks for my first tank and I can't make up my mind which to get. Were you worried about if any of the past issues of the previous versions of the 750 tank come up?

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

how deep is that sand bed?

I’m finally setting up my RSR625 and gonna do an NSA design too, hope it comes out as good as yours

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 1.5 inch deep sand bed. Take your time with NSA and I’m sure it will come out great. Send pics as you are working on it. Love to see it.
I’m adding small islands in for Zoa and invasive corals may want.

Attachments

• D1311F1D-1B90-49E0-BB76-C573C145DB8A.jpeg
    D1311F1D-1B90-49E0-BB76-C573C145DB8A.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you choose the 750 instead of the 625? I'm looking at either of those two tanks for my first tank and I can't make up my mind which to get. Were you worried about if any of the past issues of the previous versions of the 750 tank come up?
Chose 750 because I wanted 6 ft long tank for tangs. Also, wanted to go as big as possible without getting divorced lol. Hadn’t heard of any issues with v3 so not worried. Sure Red Sea addressed the issues.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock list (work in progress) while tank cycles:

(2) black ice clownfish
(1) desjardin sailfin tang
(1) naso tang
(1) hippo tang
(1) foxface
(1) melanrus wrasse
(1) carpenter flasher wrasse
(1) mckosker flasher wrasse
(1) long nose hawk fish
(1)lawnmower blenny
(2) diamond watchmen goby

any issues here? Was going to go with blue throat trigger but really want a clam down the road so crossed it out.

any additions or subtractions here? Open to suggestions. Will add clown pair once tank cycled to get stocking started.

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm comin' from the nano side so familiar with the smaller fish, but I love the tail-spot blenny, green "war-paint" clown goby, and the absolute best color-matched pairing of a yasha goby and candy-stripe pistol shrimp...

Back