R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Tank cycling with ammonia at 0 and nitrites still elevated. So still time to work on other stuff which I’m totally fine with

Starting to set up closet with RO/DI (will clean up shorten tubes today). Wall RO/DI on shares a close wall with sink so used pvc pipe conduit to pass waste water and source water lines through).

Wall opposite RO/DI shares wall with tank so will pass controllers through today with apex system and iPad mini to serve as an easy access to check on all parameters of tank. Will also mount a Neptune dos on this wall to do automatic water changes as well as access to top off ATO easy. Waste water line from dos will go through PVC line as well and connect to sink drain.

Going to use right side of stand to house my Neptune Trident and two additional Dos pumps to create an organized look. Bought second. Controller board from adaptive reef with trident and dos cutouts to organize all wires. Will put EB8 power bar in stand to hook up all previous mentioned equipment as well as power to all 4 reef led units.

Will take more pics when above completed. May work on second small island for left side of tank as well.

Attachments

• E15A60C9-C2B1-401F-99D9-9A1939E79AA4.jpeg
    E15A60C9-C2B1-401F-99D9-9A1939E79AA4.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 2102A7E9-AEEA-4E31-911A-C035D86FC2A3.jpeg
    2102A7E9-AEEA-4E31-911A-C035D86FC2A3.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed controllers in closet but need to get Apex set up do I can plug in to apex power tree…in mean time plugged into a regular power tree.

Will wall mount the iPad mini next to controller board and may put a keyboard below it to make programming easier.

Attachments

• 380AEA3C-D822-44CF-A651-78676977E59A.jpeg
    380AEA3C-D822-44CF-A651-78676977E59A.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 81
  • FC4518A1-B822-437F-A800-93472DFC4FE7.jpeg
    FC4518A1-B822-437F-A800-93472DFC4FE7.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try and set up apex over next few days. Think I will hardwire the internet which shouldn’t be hard as my basement ceilings are exposed and I have a close by Ethernet port.

Also, thinking about adding couple of 20 amp outlets in closet but may call in professional or buddy with experience as I don’t mess with electric at that level. Current outlet is 15 amp without anything else connected.

Hoping nitrites drop and tank cycled but going to wait on fish til after my summer trip so have to middle of August before would even entertain stocking of any kind.

Still haven’t even plugged in lights as I don’t want to be tempted and inadvertently cause an algae issue.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40A71654-AABB-4755-94FA-3F8C945316CA.jpeg

Day 23 of fishless cycle using brightwell dry rock kit and while ammonia has been 0 for over a week nitrites still really high.

I had no plans of adding fish until after 8/15 when I get back from last summer trip but not sure at that point if it will be ready.

More than happy to wait as long as necessary but hoping by 40 days in I will be cycled.

more work to do with apex anyway so not like there is a lack of things to do.

Still need to work on stocking plan anyways as I think I’m going to try blue throat trigger after all. Saw one at a LFS and really want one. Didn’t plan on shrimp or crabs so no worries there but did want a clam. From what I have read, people have had success so will try down the road when tank mature.

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say your cycle is done, ammonia is getting converted to nitrates. Now you’re just in the ugly phase with algae growth (like me) right?

What are you doing for nitrate export now?

I started some chaeto in the sump and will dose ChaetoGro to help out, and hoping the deeper areas of my MarinePure blocks will help with nitrate removal too, and I started skimming to break it in and get going…

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say your cycle is done, ammonia is getting converted to nitrates. Now you’re just in the ugly phase with algae growth (like me) right?

What are you doing for nitrate export now?

I started some chaeto in the sump and will dose ChaetoGro to help out, and hoping the deeper areas of my MarinePure blocks will help with nitrate removal too, and I started skimming to break it in and get going…
No ugly phase. Rocks are pretty clean with occasional clear looking string which looks a little like green hair algae but not green.
Haven’t tested nitrates yet.

marinepure block in tank. Nothing else per cycling instructions.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ugly phase. Rocks are pretty clean with occasional clear looking string which looks a little like green hair algae but not green.
Haven’t tested nitrates yet.

marinepure block in tank. Nothing else per cycling instructions.
Marinpure block in sump to clarify not display lol

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why cant you have shrimp or crabs with a blue throat trigger ? The only shrimp that might be a snack are like sexy shrimp and those smaller varieties of coral banded. Dont get me wrong it can eat a cleaner or fire shrimp but you usually can be ok in my experience . I've had blue throats twice with cleaner and fire shrimp no prob. Nice scape!

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why cant you have shrimp or crabs with a blue throat trigger ? The only shrimp that might be a snack are like sexy shrimp and those smaller varieties of coral banded. Dont get me wrong it can eat a cleaner or fire shrimp but you usually can be ok in my experience . I've had blue throats twice with cleaner and fire shrimp no prob. Nice scape!
Thanks. Really considering going without shrimp/crabs more because of issues I’ve had with them causing problems with corals.

Also , considering putting a Puffer in the tank and not doing any inverts. I know this is controversial but am willing to try at this early stage as I’ve seen several have success.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving the aquascape. Was it difficult to move it into your tank?
Thanks!! Wasn’t too difficult as each piece wasn’t more than 50 pounds. There are three big pieces. It helped that I had mortared it and so was really confident when lowering it into tank that it wouldn’t break. This is a crucial step and only on tiny island piece did I only use glue. Peace of mind was important when I’m adding corals later. Don’t want a catastrophic failure.

If doing it I recommend having a folded towel under it in case it slips and to have second person spotting to make sure clear of glass on front and sides. Two people to lower pieces in may be useful especially if pieces are awkwardly big.

Savo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! Wasn’t too difficult as each piece wasn’t more than 50 pounds. There are three big pieces. It helped that I had mortared it and so was really confident when lowering it into tank that it wouldn’t break. This is a crucial step and only on tiny island piece did I only use glue. Peace of mind was important when I’m adding corals later. Don’t want a catastrophic failure.

If doing it I recommend having a folded towel under it in case it slips and to have second person spotting to make sure clear of glass on front and sides. Two people to lower pieces in may be useful especially if pieces are awkwardly big.
Yeah, that’s a great idea having the towel to protect the glass. I just made a nsa aquascape with two large structures. The first structure broke when moving it to the aquarium. It was super heavy and required more than two hands to support all the areas. I ended having to redo it and using a lot more mortar. The second structure I was smarter about and only broke the tips off a couple pieces because I was a klutz and ran into the door with it.

OP
OP
R

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 44 of cycling with Brightwell dry rock starter kit and nitrites still elevated. Was thinking of doing a water change to see if jump starts things but not sure if I should just wait it out.

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Back